Sony IER-M9 impressions thread
Jun 27, 2020 at 8:04 PM Post #736 of 3,196
Australia have a Sony spare parts supplier that stock M9 cables, however they don’t ship overseas. But maybe you could use a parcel forwarding service? If you’re having trouble finding a forwarding service, feel free to drop me a PM and I’ll be happy to help out :)

https://www.speedyspares.com/shop/s...191270411.html?search_query=Ier-M9&results=89

I bought a spare one to use with my Z5’s. It’s a great looking cable!
7DBC2FF7-6EAD-406E-8299-5657575082D6.jpeg
It looks like a nice solid fit, my Sony non-Kimber balanced upgrade cable was such a loose fit it sometimes caused one side of my old Z5 to cut out.

Jun 28, 2020 at 1:24 AM Post #739 of 3,196
M9 all day every day!

In other news, I switched back to the Sony Hybrid tips just to make sure the JVC SpiralDot++ tips still sounded best to me, and they do! I used the Sony Hybrids for about 48 hours and when I swtiched back to the JVCs it was like a breath of fresh air. It's not even close, I recommend any and everyone who owns an M9, M7 or even a Z1R to pick some up. There was a size M here on the forums last week for $30 shipped and PP'd, which is a great deal.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2020 at 3:23 AM Post #740 of 3,196
M9 all day every day!

In other news, I switched back to the Sony Hybrid tips just to make sure the JVC SpiralDot++ tips still sounded best to me, and they do! I used the Sony Hybrids for about 48 hours and when I swtiched back to the JVCs it was like a breath of fresh air. It's not even close, I recommend any and everyone who owns an M9, M7 or even a Z1R to pick some up. There was a size M here on the forums last week for $30 shipped and PP'd, which is a great deal.

I agree with this... I picked up a box of SpiralDots++ while in Japan (a while ago). it fits and it is comfy, and to me the insertion to seal doesn't need to be too deep with this.

Jun 28, 2020 at 12:12 PM Post #741 of 3,196
I agree with this... I picked up a box of SpiralDots++ while in Japan (a while ago). it fits and it is comfy, and to me the insertion to seal doesn't need to be too deep with this.
IMO that just means you need a smaller JVC tip! I have the size M and probably need a smaller one. In my experience the M9 performs its best when using the smallest tip possible to achieve a seal as deep as possible.
Yesterday when I switched back to Sony tips I used the MS, which would not get a seal unless I pulled up on my upper ear and shoved them in as deep as possible. Basically so deep that the shell of the IEM was resting in my ear "pocket". I'm not able to get that deep with the JVC M, so I do intend to get some smaller ones to try out.

Jun 28, 2020 at 4:04 PM Post #742 of 3,196
Just got my M9s yesterday.. damn these things are good!

Jun 28, 2020 at 6:48 PM Post #743 of 3,196
IMO that just means you need a smaller JVC tip! I have the size M and probably need a smaller one. In my experience the M9 performs its best when using the smallest tip possible to achieve a seal as deep as possible.
Yesterday when I switched back to Sony tips I used the MS, which would not get a seal unless I pulled up on my upper ear and shoved them in as deep as possible. Basically so deep that the shell of the IEM was resting in my ear "pocket". I'm not able to get that deep with the JVC M, so I do intend to get some smaller ones to try out.

I have a different experience. I can’t get good enough seal using small tips. Even if I do get good seal, the lower treble would become peaky and sibilant since I have to push the M9 so deep into my ear canal. I’m using Final Type E medium now.

Jun 28, 2020 at 10:52 PM Post #744 of 3,196
I have a different experience. I can’t get good enough seal using small tips. Even if I do get good seal, the lower treble would become peaky and sibilant since I have to push the M9 so deep into my ear canal. I’m using Final Type E medium now.
Give the Sony Hybrids another chance, but this time use my insertion method where you pull up on your ear and shove them in deep at the same time. If I use a tip that's too big I encounter all sorts of problems. One of which is the sound will become muffled if I look down sharply, like say if I was reading a book. Anything over an ML for me will become muffled regardless of my head position if I insert them deep. This doesn't happen with the much wider bore tip of the SpiralDot++. After fiddlling around with the Sony Hybrids for over a year I'm glad I finally discovered the JVCs.

Jun 28, 2020 at 11:12 PM Post #745 of 3,196

i have been using SpiralDots since the first gen. i know how to get a seal from these.

Jun 29, 2020 at 12:48 AM Post #746 of 3,196
i have been using SpiralDots since the first gen. i know how to get a seal from these.
The OG SpiralDot tips were a no go for me. They gave me a suction/ear plug like seal that was too much. The SpiralDot++ seems to have an almost foam like material and doesn't do that at all. The ++ was a huge improvement over the old SpiralDots for me.

Jun 29, 2020 at 3:33 AM Post #748 of 3,196
And im here deep fit with small hybrid tips. The seal is fine for me

Jun 29, 2020 at 3:34 AM Post #749 of 3,196
Those who are experiencing muffled or some weird thickness on vocals is basically using a bigger tips and didnt do deep fit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back