Sony IER-M9 impressions thread
Aug 27, 2020 at 2:36 AM Post #811 of 3,155
What is the bass like on the M9? I like to feel that sub bass on EDM. Can't quite stretch to a IER-Z1R just yet.
I have the M9 and listened to the Z1R several times last year.
The M9 is my only BA IEM and it can't touch any of the DD IEMs I own or have tested in terms of bass rumble and energy.
It's really precise and has good extension on both sides, but it does not have the enveloping and pulsing energy of a good DD IMO.
Even the Sony EX1000 has significantly more bass rumble and power, despite having a much flatter frequency response.
And the Z1R was really impressive, had a rumble like the "DOLBY THX" sounds they used to play before the movie at the cinema.

I originally thought that the Z1R might be a bit too much "muscle car" for me, and I sometimes did feel the lack of body and weight in the mids, but the experience with the M9 makes me want the Z1R...

EDIT:
I want to add that after listening to my IEMs for 2 months the M9 has moved to the top of the list. I don't think it was a break in of the IEM, but rather my brain getting used to the detail and presentation, but I really enjoy that detail, the separation and layering now and am very happy with the M9.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2020 at 2:40 AM Post #812 of 3,155
is Z1R SUb bass as deep as M9? saw the FR graph a bit rolled off. Btw is Z1R really the best from sony lines? is Z1R batter in every aspect than M9? how about layering and imaging? because M9 have the best layering and imaging i can find in any IEMs so far ( I have M7 and they are great too, M9 is little bit better than M7, with better trebles and extension to upper end, mids and bass quite similar)

from my ears, you “hear” a lot more of the sub bass of z1r. the sub bass on m9 just retract too fast, therefore u feel less of it. its just the physical difference of DD and BA sub bass.

yes, z1r is the best of sony IMO, prob the best of in ear until now, not limited to just sony brand.
I think detail wise, M9 equals z1r, they both provide great micro details, gives you everything in recording, good or bad.
M9 sounds stage is huge also, not far behind what z1r can expand.
layering both are great, just that z1r's further sound stage makes it easier to layer on depth, but it's not game changing different.

imaging i say both are equally good.

Z1r and m9 are vastly different iem, especially on how they interpret "bass",
m9 and m7 are more like siblings(i tried m9 and m7 and decided to buy m9).

I keep both for different taste and mood.

Aug 27, 2020 at 2:42 AM Post #813 of 3,155
The M9 is my only BA IEM and it can't touch any of the DD IEMs I own or have tested in terms of bass rumble and energy.
It's really precise and has good extension on both sides, but it does not have the enveloping and pusling energy of a good DD IMO.
Even the Sony EX1000 has significantly more bass rumble and power, despite having a much flatter frequency response.
And the Z1R was really impressive, had a rumble like the "DOLBY THX" sounds they used to play before the movie at the cinema.

I originally thought that the Z1R might be a bit too much "muscle car" for me, and I sometimes did feel the lack of body and weight in the mids, but the experience with the M9 makes me want the Z1R...

haha, you explained it so well

Love that "dolby THX" part, so true~~!!!

Aug 27, 2020 at 2:55 AM Post #814 of 3,155
from my ears, you “hear” a lot more of the sub bass of z1r. the sub bass on m9 just retract too fast, therefore u feel less of it. its just the physical difference of DD and BA sub bass.

yes, z1r is the best of sony IMO, prob the best of in ear until now, not limited to just sony brand.
I think detail wise, M9 equals z1r, they both provide great micro details, gives you everything in recording, good or bad.
M9 sounds stage is huge also, not far behind what z1r can expand.
layering both are great, just that z1r's further sound stage makes it easier to layer on depth, but it's not game changing different.

imaging i say both are equally good.

Z1r and m9 are vastly different iem, especially on how they interpret "bass",
m9 and m7 are more like siblings(i tried m9 and m7 and decided to buy m9).

I keep both for different taste and mood.

Thank you for your detailed explanation. I just scared the Z1R lost something to M9, especially imaging and layering, which is the best aspect of M7/M9. Im planning to save money to get Z1R and may sell my M7 to fund it, but I scared of losing something, that precise imaging - layering. If the Z1R is better in every aspect, and like what you said the best IEM ever created, I will aim for the Z1R, no matter what, I dunno how many years from now lol but i really want them since the FR graph almost perfect like my preference. Your opinion means a lot, to just focus on one Z1R

Aug 27, 2020 at 3:06 AM Post #815 of 3,155
Thank you for your detailed explanation. I just scared the Z1R lost something to M9, especially imaging and layering, which is the best aspect of M7/M9. Im planning to save money to get Z1R and may sell my M7 to fund it, but I scared of losing something, that precise imaging - layering. If the Z1R is better in every aspect, and like what you said the best IEM ever created, I will aim for the Z1R, no matter what, I dunno how many years from now lol but i really want them since the FR graph almost perfect like my preference. Your opinion means a lot, to just focus on one Z1R

well, one thing to keep in mind, z1r fitting is not for everyone, unlike the comfort / ease fit of m7 or m9, so i suggest try it out before u buy.
I personally love the sound, but not the fit, so i go with customized tip so i can enjoy this master piece of engineering.
IMG_20200727_112131.jpg

you can also keep m9 while having z1r, they play different role.
I listen to m9 when i want to relax or noise isolation

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2020 at 3:13 AM Post #816 of 3,155
well, one thing to keep in mind, z1r fitting is not for everyone, unlike the comfort / ease fit of m7 or m9, so i suggest try it out before u buy.
I personally love the sound, but not the fit, so i go with customized tip so i can enjoy this master piece of engineering.

Yeah heard about that too, was planning to go to japan this April and try a lot of earphone including Z1R, but covid19 destroyed every plan lol. I'll try the fit first as suggested, im not in hurry to buy the Z1R, at least my wallet hasn't ready yet.

Aug 27, 2020 at 4:56 AM Post #817 of 3,155
It's really precise and has good extension on both sides, but it does not have the enveloping and pulsing energy of a good DD IMO.

Thanks very much for your thoughts. I’ve read that the bass was pretty good on the M9 but then I had my reservations as I normally prefer a DD type of bass. Wish I could stretch to the z1r, that would likely be my end game iem. Maybe I’ll just save up for them instead. I’m sure the M9 would be a good compromise though but it’s an expensive set and I kind of feel there shouldn’t be any compromises at that price point lol

Aug 27, 2020 at 8:37 AM Post #818 of 3,155
Thanks very much for your thoughts. I’ve read that the bass was pretty good on the M9 but then I had my reservations as I normally prefer a DD type of bass. Wish I could stretch to the z1r, that would likely be my end game iem. Maybe I’ll just save up for them instead. I’m sure the M9 would be a good compromise though but it’s an expensive set and I kind of feel there shouldn’t be any compromises at that price point lol

Bass on M7/M9 is great, they have bottomless depth, great texture, fast decay, everything you want in a bass, except that "air" feel from DD. My M7 bass is much much better like different grade from my last Andromeda bass, and tuned better.

Sep 6, 2020 at 9:13 AM Post #819 of 3,155
Do you guys enjoying the m9? i find it a tad bit boring and doesn't "wow" me at first, is it the same experience as you guys feels or my particular unit have a problem? is the dap the main problem here? (i usually use it with samsung s9, hiby r3) that maybe makes the m9 doesn't give its full potential?

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2020 at 9:28 AM Post #820 of 3,155
Do you guys enjoying the m9? i find it a tad bit boring and doesn't "wow" me at first, is it the same experience as you guys feels or my particular unit have a problem? is the dap the main problem here? (i usually use it with samsung s9, hiby r3) that maybe makes the m9 doesn't give the full potential of the sound?

M9 seems to be tuned further away interms of its soundstaging, so it may sound more laid-back than your typical iem. DAP sound signature does play a part to how the M9 performs. Do try to use high gain or DSPs to see if it helps to make the M9 to sound more dynamic.

Also iem tip seal and achieving correct ear canal air pressure is very important to make the M9 sound more dynamic. Recommend to try all the included tip sizes until you find one that seals very well.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2020 at 11:32 AM Post #821 of 3,155
Do you guys enjoying the m9? i find it a tad bit boring and doesn't "wow" me at first, is it the same experience as you guys feels or my particular unit have a problem? is the dap the main problem here? (i usually use it with samsung s9, hiby r3) that maybe makes the m9 doesn't give its full potential?
Play around with tips and insertion depth. M9, in my experience, only sounds boring when you have an air tight, earplug like seal. I eventually had to stop using the included Sony ear tips and have swtiched to a JVC SpiralDot++. Most IEMs sound best with an earplug like seal, the M9, however, needs to breathe a little bit.

Sep 6, 2020 at 12:39 PM Post #822 of 3,155
I can relate to your feeling.
I’ve had the M9 for 2 months and the first impression was “very precise but lacking excitement and energy”
I have since tried to get used to the signature and appreciate what it does. After all, it’s by far my most expensive IEM.
I have come to appreciate the precision, the well tuned BA drivers that manage to be that detailed and precise without the unnaturally fast decay and grittyness that I experienced with the QDC 4SS.

But they still are quite different to my DD IEMs, which sound more energetic.

I found the M9 to be surprisingly power hungry, which also can make them seem less energetic, when doing A/B comparisons. Make sure you kick up the volume a few notches.

And last but not least, the M9 are really capable of delivering detail and soundstage, if the source delivers it. I have the HiBy R3, andIMO the M9 needs better. My Chord Mojo is good, and maybe the best you can get for $4-500. The M9 certainly benefits from something even better like a Hugo 2.

listening to the M9 now with Spiral Dots, and they do sound good, lending more energy to the mids.

Don’t give up, they are really good, butseems like they need some attention to your chain, fit, tips and after all, brain burn in!

EDIT:
I want to add that after listening to my IEMs for 2 months the M9 has moved to the top of the list. I don't think it was a break in of the IEM, but rather my brain getting used to the detail and presentation, but I really enjoy that detail, the separation and layering now and am very happy with the M9.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2020 at 1:11 PM Post #823 of 3,155
I always find ba’s to be delicate pieces of equipment that doesnt need much to be moved, however the m9 does love power, the better the source, the better they scale, I use them primarily with cayin n6II E01 in mid gain, as well as said before, tips and insertion are crucial, I use em with spinfit cp100’s and final e tips, never had a good fit with spiral dots, I’ve just got ezla xelastec’s but I haven’t got any time to try em out, will do later on.

Give em a try, i switch cables as well and went with dunu noble since I’ve got the 4001dk

Sep 6, 2020 at 1:38 PM Post #824 of 3,155
Did anyone tried the M9 with the Kimber kable? I think it will have an amazing synergy and slightly more warmth and bass.
Anyone tried it?

Sep 6, 2020 at 9:55 PM Post #825 of 3,155
Did anyone tried the M9 with the Kimber kable? I think it will have an amazing synergy and slightly more warmth and bass.
Anyone tried it?
I have and have been using my M9 with a Kimber since trying it. Even though the Kimber isn't near as comfortable as the stock cable. My stock cable started to deteriorate at the ear hooks after about a year. I imagine there is a difference but have not done a blind A/B.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back