Sony IER-M9 impressions thread
May 21, 2020 at 10:03 AM Post #691 of 3,155
M. From someone who used to use an LL hybrid. We’ve all been using tips that are too big, I’m convinced. The size M JVC is so perfect for me though. No suction effect, consistent fit every single day no matter what. I love the sound too and I actually have briefly gone back to Hybrids just to make sure it’s real.

I was using the M and MS hybrids before I picked up the ++ tips. But before that I was using the giant LL tips lol.

I’ve got to try the spiral dots ++ some day. Hopefully they get a little cheaper eventually. Can’t seem to find them under $70 here in Aus!

May 21, 2020 at 10:08 AM Post #692 of 3,155
I’ve got to try the spiral dots ++ some day. Hopefully they get a little cheaper eventually. Can’t seem to find them under $70 here in Aus!
Yeah that sounds about right. I paid about $50 USD shipped or thereabouts. Which, admittedly, is ridiculous. They are great though, but not for that kind of money. I think the reason they're so expensive is because they don't actually have a distributor in the US so they are imported.

May 21, 2020 at 11:49 AM Post #693 of 3,155
Reference would be a flat graph. Where you can mix withou the bias of a bumped earphone. For example mixing with a Legend X and the producer lower the low end because is too much on the LX. But when the general public listen to that song on a balanced earpohone/speaker, it will be lacking o low end.
To me, balance should be fine for producing. On top of that i own hd800 for my desktop setup with warm dac amp, i mean hd800 with the setup is still superior but i think M9 is not a bad reference monitor too. Unless if we are being too picky, M9 probably best for stage monitor than reference.

May 21, 2020 at 7:14 PM Post #694 of 3,155
M. From someone who used to use an LL hybrid. We’ve all been using tips that are too big, I’m convinced. The size M JVC is so perfect for me though. No suction effect, consistent fit every single day no matter what. I love the sound too and I actually have briefly gone back to Hybrids just to make sure it’s real.

I was using the M and MS hybrids before I picked up the ++ tips. But before that I was using the giant LL tips lol.
Is the M size of dot++ equivalent to hybrid light yellow?

May 21, 2020 at 8:18 PM Post #695 of 3,155
I just figured out my JVC SpiralDot++ MS size (the green one) is equal to Sony S size (the orange one) ~ 11 mm diameter. which means if you guys using Sony MS eartips (yellow) should go for SpiralDot ++ M (red) ~12 mm
Tempting! But the price What

May 21, 2020 at 9:08 PM Post #696 of 3,155
Tempting! But the price What

in Japan, JVC spiral dot++ is on sale at around 22 US dollar. Try to get yourself a deal around 45 US dollar (if you can) in your region. mostly import tax and shipping fee though haha

Attachments

• 1474E87E-C5DA-44F3-8AAB-25CD534033A8.jpeg
    1474E87E-C5DA-44F3-8AAB-25CD534033A8.jpeg
    197.3 KB · Views: 0
May 22, 2020 at 10:11 AM Post #698 of 3,155
Has anyone here paired M9 with WM1A? I just upgraded from my ZX300. WM1A makes the M9 sound like a totally different iem which has forward vocal and thunderous bass. The soundstage is HUGE on the WM1A. M9 sounds somewhat like in a studio on ZX300 while 1A pumps too much air and space into the M9 which make instruments sound so distant. I did a short comparison between the two walkmans and found that in terms of resolution, i'm not totally convinced the 1A sound more detailed compared to the ZX300. on some tracks the ZX300 delivers more transparent, crystal clear midrange than the 1A. perhaps the capacitors need more burn in yet (I've got around 50 hours on 1A vs 600 hours on zx300)

May 22, 2020 at 10:25 AM Post #699 of 3,155
Has anyone here paired M9 with WM1A? I just upgraded from my ZX300. WM1A makes the M9 sound like a totally different iem which has forward vocal and thunderous bass. The soundstage is HUGE on the WM1A. M9 sounds somewhat like in a studio on ZX300 while 1A pumps too much air and space into the M9 which make instruments sound so distant. I did a short comparison between the two walkmans and found that in terms of resolution, i'm not totally convinced the 1A sound more detailed compared to the ZX300. on some tracks the ZX300 delivers more transparent, crystal clear midrange than the 1A. perhaps the capacitors need more burn in yet (I've got around 50 hours on 1A vs 600 hours on zx300)

Is your 1A brand new? If so, give it some time. Sony recommends 200 hours of break in. I noticed a significant improvement in my 1Z after about 150 hours

May 22, 2020 at 11:12 AM Post #700 of 3,155

I have WM1A(680 hrs) and ZX300(1350 hrs). I had a similar experience like you early on with the WM1A/Atlas pairing. Vocals seemed really distant. WM1A in its current state continues to suprise me how much sound changed for the better. All of this is on 3.01 stock firmware.

May 22, 2020 at 11:25 AM Post #701 of 3,155
I have WM1A(680 hrs) and ZX300(1350 hrs). I had a similar experience like you early on with the WM1A/Atlas pairing. Vocals seemed really distant. WM1A in its current state continues to suprise me how much sound changed for the better. All of this is on 3.01 stock firmware.
wait what? my 1A firmware is now 3.02. you haven't got firmware update on your 1A?
is there any sonic difference between the two firmware version?

May 22, 2020 at 12:29 PM Post #702 of 3,155
wait what? my 1A firmware is now 3.02. you haven't got firmware update on your 1A?
is there any sonic difference between the two firmware version?

Having been completely satisfied with 3.01 firmware I've had no need to update to 3.02. So I'm unaware of what sound changes take place besides what I've read. However, the WM1A thread has plenty of info on various firmware and custom firmware for desired sound preferences.

May 22, 2020 at 5:27 PM Post #703 of 3,155
I'm pretty excited, I just ordered an IER-M9. I've been doing a lot of research on IEMs in the ~$1k USD range, been on the fence on the M9 and a couple other items for a couple of weeks now, but finally decided that this is what I'm looking for.

Unfortunately they seem to be on back order everywhere right now, but I'm supposed to get mine in about 3 to 4 weeks. It'll be a long wait!

May 22, 2020 at 5:49 PM Post #704 of 3,155
what did u end up with? M7? i tried crushing my highs on M9 by EQ to see how it sounds. Idk if it's accurate since ive never tried M7 personally, but with the specs sheet, M7 has less 1 BA tweeter, my best bet is to crush the highs to imitate the sound. Honestly, it is not that bad. As long as u have played around with the tips. These lines up changes so much with tips. The best is deep fit with its hybrid tips so I use small size tips (light yellow). Probably, if u want to save some bucks, M7 is good enough but if u can find a good deal on M9, im sure M9 with that BA tweeter will shine better.
I got beaten by someone else on the M7 so... sadly I wasn't the one who picked it up. I'm on the lookout if there's another good deal for them though. Thanks!

May 22, 2020 at 8:35 PM Post #705 of 3,155
M9 currently appears to be out of stock everywhere in the US, anyone know when Sony will be restocking? Alternatively, any Canadian sources that will price match the US retail price of $1000USD, which is currently ~$1400CAD?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back