Sony IER-M9 impressions thread
Feb 9, 2020 at 10:08 PM Post #526 of 3,251
It's like using it on a high impedance output. The 8:1 ratio (i.e. output impedance is 1/8 of the IEM/headphone impedance) is generally a good rule of thumb to stick with as it offers sufficient electrical damping for most cases.

Cables introduce some measure of impedance to the output impedance - however, normally and proportionally speaking it's ridiculously minor. However, say you have a 1ohm cable paired with a 1 ohm output, you now have effectively 2 ohms output impedance. If your impedance of the IEM is say 16 ohms, not a problem - damping ratio is still high. Say the impedance is low like 4 ohms, and the output impedance is 2 ohms - your damping factor is now a problem.

That's why the IEX1 is silly - with a sweep, there were times where impedance was so low the LCR meter just gave up.

Thanks for reply- just to clarify: Was referring to the graphs that compensate two measurements at different impedances to illustrate where in the FR they are affected by what you describe- WIth respect to how deliberately lowering the ratio by incresing zOut can at times have a positive effect on FR (subjectively speaking, i.e. why some people prefer Andromeda w/ a Walkman or IEMatch, or IMO Massdrop+, ATH-IM02... sometimes even part of design intent, as I understand with certain multi-BA CIEM in the past which had low impedance but were tuned with high impedances of live monitoring & wireless stage gear in mind).

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2020 at 12:44 AM Post #527 of 3,251
Thanks for reply- just to clarify: Was referring to the graphs that compensate two measurements at different impedances to illustrate where in the FR they are affected by what you describe- WIth respect to how deliberately lowering the ratio by incresing zOut can at times have a positive effect on FR (subjectively speaking, i.e. why some people prefer Andromeda w/ a Walkman or IEMatch, or IMO Massdrop+, ATH-IM02... sometimes even part of design intent, as I understand with certain multi-BA CIEM in the past which had low impedance but were tuned with high impedances of live monitoring & wireless stage gear in mind).

Ah, fair enough. Generally speaking, bass is the one that's affected the most, in the form of 'flabbening' the bass. For the Andromeda, that's not too bad of a thing considering how anemic the bass is, but the last thing I want is for my stuff to be adversely affected by what output you want. Some people like that and roll gear to find the optimal solution: I consider that a bad thing for the part.

If you're talking about the 64 Audio stuff, they have low impedance too, but it doesn't matter too much for their LID stuff because it's a flat curve.

Feb 10, 2020 at 7:59 AM Post #528 of 3,251
does someone also have a pair of Ocharaku Donguri Keyaki Ti Plus or Donguri Kaede to compare?

to answer my own question, i bought the IER-M9 to compare. it was a very good price.

short impression, driven from Walkman NW-ZX507:
Donguri Keyaki Ti Plus - fun sound, better bass quantity/quality, more sub-bass. feels wider, airier... treble is more extended as well, definitely more emotional
M9 -- detailed, precise, unoffensive, bass decay a bit fast but good enough. gentlemanly and polite... unfazed by anything thrown at it.

Feb 10, 2020 at 10:33 AM Post #529 of 3,251
Guys, speaking of stock cable upgrade, I am looking for warmer sound signature, with little more emphasis and weight on the lower region and for sure without additional accents on treble. The cable should also be soft and lacking any stiffness

As an option I consider Dunu Hulk which is 4 core Litz single crystal copper with variable connections.

The other idea coming to my mind is Linum Superbax - Silver plated copper litz, which provides totally neutral sound sig.

It is ok or there are any better options?

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2020 at 1:30 AM Post #530 of 3,251
I've been tempted to get the M9 despite owning several other hi-end IEMs (Z1R, Solaris, Andromeda, EX1000, Xelento, SE846) not to mention many 'lesser' IEMs.

Is the M9 different enough than the above to be worth getting?

Hi, I am similar to your situation, I have Z1R, xelento, 846, 535 currently and am looking for something with good comfort & isolation.
Currently the most comfortable one is xelento, but it doesn't isolate for during flights.
535 846 isolates but no comfort since its big and squeezes my ear all around, sound is not as good for these days too
z1r simply has sound but anything else.

I wonder how those M9 performs comfort / sound wise compare to the 846 and xelento? thx

Feb 22, 2020 at 8:37 AM Post #532 of 3,251
Hello,

anybody use this M9 with Sony nw-wm1a?

regards,
Simon

everyday and I like it more and more to the point that I’m looking for a new DAP for the Z1Rs. One set for home and one set for the office.

edit: the M9s aren’t quite the Z1Rs but god damn they’re great. Great coherence, bass, treble, etc.

Even Crinacle rated it A+ I believe.

last edit: I’m not a Sony fanboy, I just feel they did a wonderful job matching up their 3 I IEMs with the WM1A/Z.
My next purchase after a new DAP will be the the 64Audio U12.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2020 at 10:18 AM Post #533 of 3,251
everyday and I like it more and more to the point that I’m looking for a new DAP for the Z1Rs. One set for home and one set for the office.

edit: the M9s aren’t quite the Z1Rs but god damn they’re great. Great coherence, bass, treble, etc.

last edit: I’m not a Sony fanboy, I just feel they did a wonderful job matching up their 3 I IEMs with the WM1A/Z.

Thank you for this info.

regards,
Simon

Feb 22, 2020 at 3:47 PM Post #534 of 3,251

Haha, what a coincidence! I just ordered an A12T, I'll let you know how it compares to the M9!

Feb 24, 2020 at 1:05 PM Post #535 of 3,251
Greetings friends,

I've had ier-m9 for a week and overall I am pretty happy with them (I have many opinions about them and will save them for a proper review if time allows) however, I have struggled trying to find a source of replacement cables.

In the United States, customers are directed to use sony.encompass.com for replacement parts however, encompass does NOT stock all parts for the m9, specifically, they do NOT carry part# 1-912-703-11 which is the unbalanced cable. Has anyone in the USA been able to locate an alternative supplier for this part?

Feb 28, 2020 at 9:32 PM Post #537 of 3,251
If anyone here owns a Sony WM1A or WM1Z and hasn’t been following the recent firmware mods over on their thread, I would highly recommend checking it out and trying the Ultimate 1.02 firmware with your M9’s :)

Mar 1, 2020 at 12:28 PM Post #538 of 3,251
I've read the first 20 pages of this thread and a fair few other review of the IER-M9. Every other review seems to describe the bass in a different way and frankly I don't know what to believe. Some people are underwhelmed describing the bass as lacking punch or rumble and the other half say it is spectacular with great punch / transient response / depth. Some people say too much bass and others too little. Which one is it?

On another note can someone briefly compare the M9 with the Shure 846? I find the bass on the 846 exemplarily, special mids - if anyones heard it they know and smooth treble but it does lack the final word on detail and realism. Perhaps not the most holographic of presentations but very enjoyable none the less. How would it compare with the M9? Also - every other comment on this thread seems to be about fit and tip selection which understandably plays a big part in any iem but never came across a thread that talks about it so much... The Shure 846 on the other hand are probably widely regarded as the most comfortable iems to have ever been produced.

I would like to pull the trigger on the M9 but so many opposing reviews regarding the bass, its somewhat worrying... I would like to pair it with NW-ZX500.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2020 at 12:47 PM Post #539 of 3,251
I've read the first 20 pages of this thread and a fair few other review of the IER-M9. Every other review seems to describe the bass in a different way and frankly I don't know what to believe. Some people are underwhelmed describing the bass as lacking punch or rumble and the other half say it is spectacular with great punch / transient response / depth. Some people say too much bass and others too little. Which one is it?

Believe them all, they are just trying to describe subjective experiences according to their individual use specifics and preferences. Hopefully someone can help with your 846 as comparisons give at least some idea (thread search for 846 on the other recent Sony IEM thread found only this, pretty vague and no direct comparison though). The graph comparison tool on crinacle.com can also give you some idea of overall difference in tonality but obviously not a complete picture.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back