Sony IER-M9 impressions thread
Mar 12, 2024 at 11:28 PM Post #3,139 of 3,155
1000018339.jpg

I recently acquired a brand new XD05 Plus black, and using it as a standalone DAC connected to the Topping G5 to power my M9 has resulted in what I believe to be the most incredible pairing I have ever experienced with my M9!

The outcome is a HUGE sound presentation, with an exceptionally wide soundstage, laser-precise imaging, and remarkable transparency that enables superb detail retrieval. It's a rare occurrence where I feel like I'm not missing out on any aspect of a song. Everything is portrayed with astonishing clarity, as if I can see through the music, discerning every layer, every instrument, every artist, and every movement on the stage. I can literally hear them all! Surprisingly, these improvements in technical performance do not come at the expense of natural timbre. Every detail sounds as true to life as possible.

I cannot praise this combination enough. Recently, I've been searching for headphones and have tried various popular cans like the HD600/650, almost all of the Beyer DT series, T1P, 109Pro, NHD20, Ollo s4x, MV1, MDR-Z1R, and Yamaha YH5000. Among them, the MDR-Z1R and the YH5000 stood out as the best options. However, they were too expensive. Since I discovered the Xduoo and Topping combo with the M9, I stopped searching for headphones because this combination makes the M9 sound like a high-quality headphone. It's not just an ordinary, forgettable one but a good one, with minimal compromises.

Apr 12, 2024 at 9:10 PM Post #3,140 of 3,155
Hello everyone!
Today is my first day experiencing the M9! I have yet to sit down and listen carefully and compare to other heavy hitters. But I noticed that the M9 has foam in the nozzle. Is it easy to remove and clean the foam? I'm afraid that from age the foam can disintegrate! That happened when I removed the foam from my EX8000ST. Even though the 800 was in mint condition, when I tried to pull out the foam, it simply crumbled into dust in the nozzle (I did remove the nozzle flanges first to make it easier to take out the foam).

I tested for a minute and noticed they are hard to drive. Is this the case? Or maybe the foam is dirty? My IE600 are usually a bit harder to drive than other IEMs. But the M9 needed about 50% more volume to get to the same level as the 600.

Regardless I'm excited for this set!

Hope everyone has a great evening!

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2024 at 2:00 AM Post #3,141 of 3,155
Hello everyone!
Today is my first day experiencing the M9! I have yet to sit down and listen carefully and compare to other heavy hitters. But I noticed that the M9 has foam in the nozzle. Is it easy to remove and clean the foam? I'm afraid that from age the foam can disintegrate! That happened when I removed the foam from my EX8000ST. Even though the 800 was in mint condition, when I tried to pull out the foam, it simply crumbled into dust in the nozzle (I did remove the nozzle flanges first to make it easier to take out the foam).

I tested for a minute and noticed they are hard to drive. Is this the case? Or maybe the foam is dirty? My IE600 are usually a bit harder to drive than other IEMs. But the M9 needed about 50% more volume to get to the same level as the 600.

idk ie600 but ie900 are super sensitive/efficient headphones- if they are similar the volume difference wouldn't surprise me.

(I guess there's the additional potential factor of ears accustomed to a brighter headphone at certain frequencies feeling the urge to crank up the volume on darker sets, which often happens to me- definitely recommend trying some wider bore tips on m9 if a brighter sound is desired, fairly popular mod on this thread IIRC)

Think there has been some discussion of foam removal here- thread search might show up some relevant info.

Apr 13, 2024 at 2:42 AM Post #3,143 of 3,155
Hello everyone!

The foam is easy to remove but it’s glued so I don’t recommend it. I wouldn’t mess with it as Sony doesn’t sell replacements and you’d need to get high density tuning foam elsewhere that might not sound the same.

Just use tips with wax guard it will be worth it down the road.

Yes they are hard to drive in my experience, ando they also beg to be turned up due to the tuning choices.

Apr 13, 2024 at 3:02 AM Post #3,144 of 3,155
The foam is easy to remove but it’s glued so I don’t recommend it. I wouldn’t mess with it as Sony doesn’t sell replacements and you’d need to get high density tuning foam elsewhere that might not sound the same.

Just use tips with wax guard it will be worth it down the road.

Yes they are hard to drive in my experience, ando they also beg to be turned up due to the tuning choices.
Agree. My M7 needs to be turned up to show its potentials. Also wide-bore tips can make it less boring.

Apr 13, 2024 at 3:21 AM Post #3,145 of 3,155
Hello everyone!

M9 is very hard to drive for an IEM. Do not ever remove the foam. (it would easily last 7/8 years at least) Get the azla sednaearfit max if you are concerned regarding earwax (sounds excellent with the M9)

Apr 13, 2024 at 3:46 AM Post #3,146 of 3,155
Agree. My M7 needs to be turned up to show its potentials. Also wide-bore tips can make it less boring.
Oh yes the M7 even louder than the M9. I think it’s the one I have to crank the DAP up most with after the infamous Final E5000.

Apr 13, 2024 at 6:48 AM Post #3,147 of 3,155

Welcome to the M9 family and another +1 yes the M9 needs power and no there is nothing wrong with your IEM and there is none dirt.

Apr 13, 2024 at 10:26 AM Post #3,148 of 3,155
Thanks for all the responses!

I will try to get a macro shot of the foam to show you guys. My M9 is a used set and you can tell. For now I'll try to poke the foam and see if it doesn't disintegrate lol

I usually like using wide bore tips in order to get all the sound through without blocking anything. Currently I have the Spring Tips and I am getting an excellent seal. But I will try to get the Max tips to help protect the foam further.

I am also waiting for a replacement 4.4 cable to come from overseas because the original cables are very sticky from the hook section. My guess is that this set is from very early production and thus quite old.

Apr 13, 2024 at 10:37 AM Post #3,149 of 3,155
I will try to get a macro shot of the foam to show you guys. My M9 is a used set and you can tell.
If it’s broken just exchange it lol. Chances are an aftermarket one will sound better than a broken stock one.

Apr 13, 2024 at 10:41 AM Post #3,150 of 3,155
If it’s broken just exchange it lol. Chances are an aftermarket one will sound better than a broken stock one.
Oh no it works fine. Just just that you can tell there is a small layer of dirt attached to certain parts of the M9. Mostly in crevices and corners around the nozzle. But it sounds great.
My main concern was the exposed foam and if it was easy to replace/clean. I will try my best not to mess with it lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back