Sony IER-M9 impressions thread
Aug 20, 2022 at 12:03 PM Post #2,161 of 3,162
Hi guys, I keep reading you and still can not decide which iem I order, if I could come and listen or return one of the two, it would be much easier.

I see that people own two sets: M9 and ie600. What do you think if I listen to such music as edm,rock and ost,epic music Maybe one will be the best choice?

I think it's a choice between dynamic and bass sound of ie 600 and good vocals and a wider scene in m9? It seems better to follow your example and buy both sets but a bit expensive) I'm going to connect them to a Cayin ru6, maybe the M9 with a warm source would be too much) .Sorry my English.

Aug 20, 2022 at 5:38 PM Post #2,162 of 3,162
Hi guys, I keep reading you and still can not decide which iem I order, if I could come and listen or return one of the two, it would be much easier.

I see that people own two sets: M9 and ie600. What do you think if I listen to such music as edm,rock and ost,epic music Maybe one will be the best choice?

I think it's a choice between dynamic and bass sound of ie 600 and good vocals and a wider scene in m9? It seems better to follow your example and buy both sets but a bit expensive) I'm going to connect them to a Cayin ru6, maybe the M9 with a warm source would be too much) .Sorry my English.
I own both the ier-m9 & the ie600.
You couldn't go wrong with either one, I wouldn't say the m9 has a wider sound stage at all depending on your source.
The ie600 is crystal clear, lively fun & relaxed all at the same time, vocals are just as good as the m9.
You really can't go wrong with either they compliment each other so get both when you can.
If you buy the ie600 make sure you try them with the azla sednaearfit STANDARD black tips as they have the wide bore & really open up the sound stage.
The best tips I have found for the m9 are azla sednaearfit vivid. They are both a comfortable fit & are definitely keepers.

Aug 20, 2022 at 5:55 PM Post #2,163 of 3,162
$10 apple dongle drives M9 just fine, with plenty of power left :D
It's an US version though (A2049), not a handicapped EU one

There is another good article from Crinacle on power, "driving ability" and why it matters not for IEMs:
https://crinacle.com/2019/09/30/on-the-record-power/
I have that dongle, but much prefer using my Tea with iPhone
20220623_203511.jpg

Aug 21, 2022 at 1:57 AM Post #2,164 of 3,162
I own both the ier-m9 & the ie600.
You couldn't go wrong with either one, I wouldn't say the m9 has a wider sound stage at all depending on your source.
The ie600 is crystal clear, lively fun & relaxed all at the same time, vocals are just as good as the m9.
You really can't go wrong with either they compliment each other so get both when you can.
If you buy the ie600 make sure you try them with the azla sednaearfit STANDARD black tips as they have the wide bore & really open up the sound stage.
The best tips I have found for the m9 are azla sednaearfit vivid. They are both a comfortable fit & are definitely keepers.
Thank you for the detailed answer. It looks like both are really great all-rounders and most importantly comfortable, in that case I will be guided by the best price)

Aug 22, 2022 at 2:00 AM Post #2,165 of 3,162
My god, the SQ available nowadays in a small, portable system is simply amazing!!
On a bus with Mojo2Poly, Sony IER-M9 with CEMA PS cable and EP-NI1000 tips, listening to the CD „Vox Cosmica“ by Hirundo Maris on Qobuz…. Heaven….
F8707C7F-7597-46B6-9BD1-B8F409FD86EE.jpeg

Sep 3, 2022 at 9:16 PM Post #2,166 of 3,162
Hi all,

I finally did it, re-acquired an IER-M9.

I must mention that my impressions of this iem are in conjunction with the ALO Super Litz cable which meshes greatly with this iem. The scaling of the IER-M9 with cable changes is higher that U12T, although still, the U12T ceiling in sound quality is slightly higher.

I actually find the Stock cable of M9 to be completely rubbish sounding. Z1R cable, Super Litz, Smokey Litz and to a lesser extend Fiio 4.4D Silver cable are all welcome improvements to M9.

This is a controversial topic for certain, but this 100% is a monitor that audibly demonstrates character changes upon cable swaps - I hate to get in with hyberbole, but significant changes in the realm of a cable change is still very minute, but the main changes are timbral and transient-response related.

I hate the ergonomics of the Super Litz cable, but it adds a lot of dynamic swing and energy that helps the M9 sound a little less "dead" and makes it worth the slight discomfort.
The Z1R Cable and the IER-M9 cable are identical. They are both the exact same silver-plated OFC cable. They have different exterior to match the IEM they are made for, but the cable inside is exactly the same. It is also sold under the name MUC-M12NB1 in an neutral exterior usable for all IEM
1662254771457.png
1662254789982.png

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2022 at 9:31 PM Post #2,167 of 3,162
You forgot main one. Persons individual ears 🙂
You remind me of another thread where a member needed to change his library to be able to enjoy a certain multi kilobuck IEM.

But it’s true. I have a friend who listens extremely loudly, so everything sounds the same to him.

Sep 4, 2022 at 5:58 PM Post #2,168 of 3,162
The Z1R Cable and the IER-M9 cable are identical. They are both the exact same silver-plated OFC cable. They have different exterior to match the IEM they are made for, but the cable inside is exactly the same. It is also sold under the name MUC-M12NB1 in an neutral exterior usable for all IEM
1662254771457.png1662254789982.png
> The Z1R Cable and the IER-M9 cable are identical. They are both the exact same silver-plated OFC cable.

This is exactly why I avoid the hype around expensive "upgrade" cables. When people say that the Z1R cable sounds so much better than the M9 cable when in reality they are the same :joy:

Placebo is a dangerous thing.

Sep 8, 2022 at 9:14 AM Post #2,169 of 3,162
My foam filters seem to be a little worn, anyone know where to purchase original replacements?

Sep 12, 2022 at 11:03 PM Post #2,170 of 3,162
Purchased a plush braided cable, wanted to try it out of curiosity with my M9s. However I had to fiddle with the mmcx ring and use a flat head screwdriver to widen the ring so it snapped in place. I gotta say I'm loving the feel of the cable. OKCSC did a fine job here, minus the loose fit out of the box. For $35 CAD it's not bad if you are willing to fiddle around for about 10-20 minutes.

I dare say it's more comfortable than the stock cable 😉 definitely doesn't tangle constantly like it...
20220912_225108.jpg

Sep 25, 2022 at 2:11 PM Post #2,171 of 3,162
Has anyone here experienced both the Mest Mk2 and the IER-M9? I've owned the Mest for a few months now and really like it, but I'm thinking I maybe should have gotten the M9.
I'm primarily looking for a very warm midrange and good bass with toned down treble. The Mest is lacking in the lower mids and a bit too hot in the treble for it to be perfect for me and I'm wondering if the M9 would resolve these issues.

Sep 26, 2022 at 2:27 AM Post #2,172 of 3,162
Has anyone here experienced both the Mest Mk2 and the IER-M9? I've owned the Mest for a few months now and really like it, but I'm thinking I maybe should have gotten the M9.
I'm primarily looking for a very warm midrange and good bass with toned down treble. The Mest is lacking in the lower mids and a bit too hot in the treble for it to be perfect for me and I'm wondering if the M9 would resolve these issues.
yes. I hated the MEST. Too unnatural and fatiguing for me. IEM M9 isn't warm per se. Neutral with very mild warm tilt. Midrange is clean and extremely natural with no weird peaks or dips. Bass doesn't sound like BA bass and textured more like DD. Treble has incredible extension but sounds very rounded and non fatiguing at the same time. Also god tier imaging. The only IEM I felt like was a true level up from M9 was Oriolus Traillii but that thing costs 6 times more lol.

Sep 26, 2022 at 7:11 AM Post #2,173 of 3,162
1664190303688.jpg

Hi! This is a f*cking great setup! Sony ier m9 + CEMA PS cable + Questyle m15

Sep 26, 2022 at 8:08 AM Post #2,175 of 3,162
M15 is incredible with M9 and HD650. No slouch with Hifimans either. The biggest strength to me is the deeeeep bass response alongside reference level mid and treble.
Yea! I'm always impressed when I put this setup to my ear. For me it's definitely an endgame.
But I wonder if the M9 would have better performance with some sony DAP, like the zx507 for example

Users who are viewing this thread

Back