Sony IER-M9 impressions thread
Feb 9, 2022 at 5:06 AM Post #1,651 of 3,204
Sorry to hear they don't seem to work for you!
It's actually interesting because I am getting good sub bass with the Spring tips. Listened to Hans Zimmer's 2049 last night and really liked it.
But I have to add that the sub bass quality really depends on the source - I use the CHORD Mojo as portable device and the Hugo 2 for home listening. The difference in sub bass definition and extension is quite big, this is one of the main differences between the Mojo and Hugo 2.
Regarding the treble sparkle, to me the M9 can have too much with some tips, so the smoother Spring tips work well for my tastes.

But please check the size of the tips. The Spring tips seem to be smaller for the same size designation, and in the photo it looks as if the UE900 tip is quite a bit larger.
I suspect that you really dont get a good seal with the M size shown in the picture.
I use Spiral Dot ++ size MS, but Spring size M.
Maybe try the L size Spring tips?

Listening to 2049 again, and I think I am getting better bass than with any other tip I tried with th M9.
They are a liiiittle bit finicky to get just the right fit without vacuum pressure, but the SQ is worth it to me.
a little off topic but how do you find the mojo? i ordered a mojo 2 yesterday, should arrive tomorrow, only heard good things about original mojo.

Feb 9, 2022 at 6:12 AM Post #1,652 of 3,204
a little off topic but how do you find the mojo? i ordered a mojo 2 yesterday, should arrive tomorrow, only heard good things about original mojo.
I find the Mojo really good for the money, and consider it one of the best value purchases I made in my head-fi carreer.
The Mojo 2 looks absolutely amazing to me. There are so many improvements that SQ wise it should be much closer to Hugo 2, and with the additional revolutionary EQ it's incredible what you get for the money.
Hugo 2 has ecellent definition and detail from top to bottom and a really good soundstage, and I expect Mojo 2 to be quite close. That makes it another best-buy IMO. I am honestly tempted to buy this and use my original mojo as desktop DAC in my office stereo...

Feb 9, 2022 at 6:22 AM Post #1,653 of 3,204
earphones 1.jpg

ok so... got the earphones side by side, ive had about 45 minutes with them in a side by side test and there is no doubt the 64 audio IEM produces a better sound to my ear, its pretty close honestly but the one area where the u12t walks away is actually in the bass region, completely without question undoubtedly better, they both extend very well down low but the u12t has far more initial impact and snap. listening to cinderella by steven curtis chapman there is a kick of bass at 1min 30 that hits hard and fast on the u12t, hits aswell on the M9 but it lacks snap and impact in comparison, its quite violent on the u12t, so much so i actually oofed when i heard it, but i will say this is helped no doubt by the sensitivity of the u12t, it simply goes louder and harder with any given source... the M9 and u12t both produce beautiful vocals, i will say my first impressions of both indicate the M9 to have slightly more forward vocal while everything around the vocal takes a slight back seat whereas the U12T sounds more alive around the vocals, i cant say the u12t extends further in any direction but there is some fizz at the very top end of the treble that does not quite resolve on the M9 in the same way, its there but a little more laid back, its very hard to explain when you all know the M9 has great treble extension and resolve however there is a hint of sibilance the M9 brings out of recordings i have not heard on the U12T. Both IEM's are very detailed but the U12T comes across as more detailed when listening and its probably a false impression due to that extra spark in the treble, they are equally detailed i feel. i don't believe anybody has listened to both earphones if they come away saying the M9 bass is better in any way honestly and i dont want that to come across offensive or aggressive, i just don't believe it to be the case now having listened to them both A/B testing, i believe the U12T is objectively better in this regard, the M9 do have that slower decay in the bass which makes it sound more dynamic driver like but the U12T has more punch with slightly less mid bass intrusion and boom, its the one area i can say is a marked difference, to name a few more tracks, twista - yellow light, twista - wetter, alicia keys - work on it... all focused around the sub bass and not mastered very well and the U12T actually sound like they are moving some air, theres some reverberation there not on the sony headphones, maybe its just the fact the U12T have more drivers... the one negative to this and telling sign of more movement is my ears actually tickle a little... i actually don't like this and its one of my favourite things about the M9, they dont vibrate at all, the shell material and inner driver encasing material are clearly doing an amazing job that there is not a hint of tickling in the ear, the M9 fit a little better for me i feel, i even stole the sony tips for use on the U12T... all this does indicate the U12T are more active in the very low sub bass and you can certainly hear it.

not really much to say about the midrange honestly, both are pretty great and detailed, very full sounding and i do feel the M9 push the vocals forward a touch more but its super close, the M9 are certainly warmer in the mid bass presentation.

The sony's have 64 audio beat in box presentation, tip selection and cable... all of which are terrible on the 64 audio product, so much so ive ordered a replacement cable already that wont be so memory prone and stiff, i also got an older set of U12T without the newer leather case :frowning2: ill likely order my own as the original case is cheap and nasty. the headphones have clearly seen more use but are in very good condition.

i will post a full review with more pictures after a few more hours of testing side by side, likely on the head-fi facebook page because i don't want to irritate anybody here unless you specifically want to hear more about the two here. what i will say is the M9 is £999 retail right? and the U12T is £2000 retail... there is no way you can justify that price difference, there is just no way.
I was surprised that you think the IER-M9 does have less bass extension with less impact/snap.

But then i noticed that you used the stock Sony tips, that explains it. They don't allow for air pressure compensation and the first thing that dies is the bass then. That is why most people experience a big boost in the bass as soon they try memory foam.

Feb 9, 2022 at 7:04 AM Post #1,654 of 3,204
I find the Mojo really good for the money, and consider it one of the best value purchases I made in my head-fi carreer.
The Mojo 2 looks absolutely amazing to me. There are so many improvements that SQ wise it should be much closer to Hugo 2, and with the additional revolutionary EQ it's incredible what you get for the money.
Hugo 2 has ecellent definition and detail from top to bottom and a really good soundstage, and I expect Mojo 2 to be quite close. That makes it another best-buy IMO. I am honestly tempted to buy this and use my original mojo as desktop DAC in my office stereo...
thanks for that, makes me feel good i make a good purchase, will be with me tomorrow so im sure it will be great. reviews seem very good across the board, was a little nervous about using it as a desktop amp but it has a cutoff feature on the mojo 2 i believe which will close off the battery charging loop and save it from unnecessary cycles which is a plus aswell.

again, thanks for the reply.

Feb 9, 2022 at 7:12 AM Post #1,655 of 3,204
I was surprised that you think the IER-M9 does have less bass extension with less impact/snap.

But then i noticed that you used the stock Sony tips, that explains it. They don't allow for air pressure compensation and the first thing that dies is the bass then. That is why most people experience a big boost in the bass as soon they try memory foam.
hi,

dont get me wrong, the IER-M9 does not lack extension or even adequate bass, it extends very well and the bass is clean and strong without a doubt, dont forget i was comparing it to the U12t so it wasnt a fair comparison, the U12t are more sensitive, have more drivers etc... i can get a great seal with the M9 but maybe one of the reasons the U12t has more impact is because its a ported design, that aswell as 4 drivers per ear dedicated to sub frequencies and being more sensitive naturally just means the bass really hits quite hard, too hard with the M20 module inserted in fact.

non of this is taking away from the M9 which i think is fantastic in just about every regard, its just there isnt a situation where its better than the U12t except maybe some vocal performance in the mids to high mid range. bass is a white wash across the board but it kinda should be expected. it would be like somebody saying the empire ears odin has stronger bass than the U12t... i dont even need to listen to them to know thats probably common sense looking at the driver arrangement... the benefit of listening to them just means i can listen to it myself and decide if more is better or is the bass lacking refinement. in the case of the U12t compared to the M9 the bass is stronger for the U12t with more impact and snap but they both show a control in the bass thats amazing and the M9 is certainly strong enough to be classed as right up there for BA's

Feb 9, 2022 at 7:16 AM Post #1,656 of 3,204
But please check the size of the tips. The Spring tips seem to be smaller for the same size designation, and in the photo it looks as if the UE900 tip is quite a bit larger.
I suspect that you really dont get a good seal with the M size shown in the picture.
Is this Kato's stock tips? I tried the biggest tips but they seem to reduced bass for me too, on both the Kato and the M9. If they have a bigger size I may try again because they feel good in my ears.

I want to try memory foam too. Do you know if I can use the memory foam of FA9 on the M9?

Feb 9, 2022 at 7:22 AM Post #1,657 of 3,204
Is this Kato's stock tips? I tried the biggest tips but they seem to reduced bass for me too, on both the Kato and the M9. If they have a bigger size I may try again because they feel good in my ears.
Yes, those Moondrop "Spring" Tips are included with the Kato.
Moondrop has acknowledged that their L tip is too small for people with larger ear canals.
Maybe they will introduce XL tips in the future.

Feb 9, 2022 at 7:26 AM Post #1,658 of 3,204
Yes, those Moondrop "Spring" Tips are included with the Kato.
Moondrop has acknowledged that their L tip is too small for people with larger ear canals.
Maybe they will introduce XL tips in the future.
I'm looking forward to try that XL version because it does feel quite good in the ears.

Feb 9, 2022 at 6:22 PM Post #1,659 of 3,204
Sorry to hear they don't seem to work for you!
It's actually interesting because I am getting good sub bass with the Spring tips. Listened to Hans Zimmer's 2049 last night and really liked it.
But I have to add that the sub bass quality really depends on the source - I use the CHORD Mojo as portable device and the Hugo 2 for home listening. The difference in sub bass definition and extension is quite big, this is one of the main differences between the Mojo and Hugo 2.
Regarding the treble sparkle, to me the M9 can have too much with some tips, so the smoother Spring tips work well for my tastes.

Listening to 2049 again, and I think I am getting better bass than with any other tip I tried with th M9.
They are a liiiittle bit finicky to get just the right fit without vacuum pressure, but the SQ is worth it to me.

definitely could be the tip size however at this point I don't think i will get the large as i actually tried to be prepared for this and ordered the S & M. the laws of the universe in retrospect will tell me i should have got the L. It was only the right side for me that potentially needed the bigger size which is always annoying buying tips (especially expensive ones) because you have to buy two packs. i prefer the sample packs with the different sizing.

In any case, the SQ difference which you experience is similar to what i get with the UE900 tips so I think will be neither here nor there. I use the ibasso DC04 dongle as a source because it fits the way i listen to music and unfortunately/fortunately i don't have an itch to spend the extra $$ and testing for improvements with the source. I can tell a difference with using 4.4mm sources which is something unique to the M9.

Feb 10, 2022 at 3:28 AM Post #1,660 of 3,204
C0A0140F-2066-4F2E-B35C-D84624BB0484.jpeg

I just want to cry… not about the song or how awesome M9 sounds (it is), i’ve tried so many eartips with different sizes, that the ONLY one i can use comfortably is foams… and i don’t like foams.

Any others from stock silicone until spring tips of 3 different sizes all of them have issues, the weird thing is i thought i got my end game eartips the spring tips M size, it seals, doesn’t have suction, no sharp pain on insertion, and no imbalances aandd it doesn’t seal anymore like What.

Until this day M9 along side Seeaudio Bravery are my most uncomfortable iems, its my bad luck that my ears aren’t good with unvented all BA iems… damn.
Maybe… spring tips size ML will come out.. just need that a bit bigger than M..

Other than my problem above, its awesome

Feb 10, 2022 at 4:28 AM Post #1,661 of 3,204
I just want to cry… not about the song or how awesome M9 sounds (it is), i’ve tried so many eartips with different sizes, that the ONLY one i can use comfortably is foams… and i don’t like foams.

Any others from stock silicone until spring tips of 3 different sizes all of them have issues, the weird thing is i thought i got my end game eartips the spring tips M size, it seals, doesn’t have suction, no sharp pain on insertion, and no imbalances aandd it doesn’t seal anymore like What.

Until this day M9 along side Seeaudio Bravery are my most uncomfortable iems, its my bad luck that my ears aren’t good with unvented all BA iems… damn.

Where did you get the boxes for the tips? Those look really useful!

Feb 10, 2022 at 4:37 AM Post #1,662 of 3,204
Where did you get the boxes for the tips? Those look really useful!
From local online store (Indonesia), someone made it and sell it online, quite cheap not even $5

Feb 10, 2022 at 8:04 AM Post #1,663 of 3,204

Is the issue with your fit the vacuum seal? Have you tried using a sewing pin and puncturing some holes in the tip stem?

Feb 10, 2022 at 8:50 AM Post #1,664 of 3,204
Is the issue with your fit the vacuum seal? Have you tried using a sewing pin and puncturing some holes in the tip stem?
Not yet, can you tell me how to do it? Which part to puncture or something, i’ll try

edit: should i start with spring tips L? it fits, less suction, no pain, but imbalance my left side sounds louder than right so the center skews to the left

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2022 at 3:56 PM Post #1,665 of 3,204
Hey

Hey man, I don't seem to see any double flanges in your tip selections - I really think this might be your solution!

I personally used double flange wide-bore HiFiMAN eartips which I adored with the M9 for the longest time. But have since transition to single flange symbios. for comfort.

I still think the double flang sounded better, and balanced out the FR a bit.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back