Sony Headphones at HeadRoom
Aug 28, 2009 at 7:17 PM Post #16 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
CD3000

This particular model has been discontinued for a few years now and there is no way at all whatsoever for Headroom to get that model new. Headroom's choice of Sony headphones is limited to the consumer models which are officially in the current SonyStyle catalog.

That said, a few of those Sonys are pretty good, even at their asking prices. (Not the greatest, but quite respectable.)

Sep 9, 2009 at 8:30 PM Post #18 of 20
+1 for MDR-SA5000. They're my favorite headphones at that pricepoint, though I will admit that they're too bright, and this is difficult to get around. In my experience they sound unnatural with both tube amps and EQing. Nevertheless, as I said, they're my favorite at their pricepoint.

Sep 19, 2009 at 8:47 PM Post #19 of 20
How about MDR CD-900ST?

spd_20070112233549_b.jpg

Oct 12, 2009 at 7:23 AM Post #20 of 20
As of the Headroom site redesign, several Sony headphones are listed (and in stock). Among those there are a few standouts, including the classic MDR-V6 that's been a studio favorite since its introduction in 1985 (the MDR-7506 is the same headphone but with a blue stripe and a gold-plated plug tip--and neither headphone should be confused with the MDR-V600, a much inferior-performing model), as well as a few of the newer designs (such as the MDR-EX56LP hybrid earbud/IEMs, which rank amongst those in the upper tier of $40 in-ear 'phones, especially if you prefer a warmish balance). The MDR-SA5000 is listed, though not yet in stock (and thus is not yet rated). And of course, the $399 noise-cancelling 'phones...
eek.gif

And yes, Sony has its share of underperformance and overpriced headphones. Headroom might sell some of the "underperformance" models if you call the company by telephone (and of course Headroom's reps would try to discourage the purchase of those underperformance Sonys in favor of better-performing alternatives from other companies including Sony), but officially (through the web site) sells only those models which it feels should deliver above-average performance at their price points.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back