Sony has new headphones, MDR-1R
Apr 15, 2013 at 3:16 PM Post #2,221 of 2,773
Cool. Thanks for the thoughtful review.
beerchug.gif

BTW. How much was the cost for your cable? I looked at the BTG website but was confused because one end of the cable is 3.5mm, while the other end is "Headphone" Does Brian mean that he'll hardwire it or...?

Apr 15, 2013 at 7:00 PM Post #2,222 of 2,773
Quote:
Cool. Thanks for the thoughtful review.
beerchug.gif

BTW. How much was the cost for your cable? I looked at the BTG website but was confused because one end of the cable is 3.5mm, while the other end is "Headphone" Does Brian mean that he'll hardwire it or...?

Just send him an email and he can make whatever you want. Brian is pretty busy over there but works well with you. I have also used toxic and q cables before and they work great too. Toxic cables are pretty well priced too, but I feel BTG has the best value to quality ratio IMO. 

Apr 16, 2013 at 1:46 AM Post #2,223 of 2,773
Quote:
I've been using this cable with my MDR-1R and it works well for cheap.  Actually a very nice cable.  BTG cables are fantastic though and priced very well. 

http://www.amazon.com/Mediabridge-3-5mm-Stereo-Audio-Cable/dp/B004LTEUDO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1366052384&sr=8-1&keywords=mediabridge+3.5mm

I bought the same one to use with my MDR-1R since I needed a longer cable than the one supplied with the headphones. There hasn't been any difference I could detect in improving or worsening the sound. So in my book a win-win. I'm sure the BTG cables are good too as I was checking them out before I went with the ones easier on the wallet.

Apr 16, 2013 at 4:30 AM Post #2,224 of 2,773
Quote:
I bought the same one to use with my MDR-1R since I needed a longer cable than the one supplied with the headphones. There hasn't been any difference I could detect in improving or worsening the sound. So in my book a win-win. I'm sure the BTG cables are good too as I was checking them out before I went with the ones easier on the wallet.

Nothing wrong with that. I had some extra money to spend at the time so I said screw it why not. Plenty of great cheap cables out there. 
size]

Apr 16, 2013 at 10:16 AM Post #2,225 of 2,773
Hey guys I'm so close to pulling the trigger on a pair of these but first I need to know how they compared to the SRH840s and the Beyerdynamic Custom one pros.... any inpu tis appreciated. I'm looking for good clarity, punchy bass and a slightly V- shaped sound signature.

Apr 16, 2013 at 1:00 PM Post #2,226 of 2,773
Quote:
Hey guys I'm so close to pulling the trigger on a pair of these but first I need to know how they compared to the SRH840s and the Beyerdynamic Custom one pros.... any inpu tis appreciated. I'm looking for good clarity, punchy bass and a slightly V- shaped sound signature.

I haven't heard the Custom One but the 840 and the 1R sound nothing alike. Yes the 840 has a pretty smooth midrange but the 1R takes smoothness to a new level. 840 has a very laid back sound while the 1R has very forward, in your face mids. 840 has a slight treble emphasis while the highs on the 1R are very laid back, even recessed if you're a treblehead. 1R is very warm and lush, with an almost tube-like thickness, while the 840 is fast, accurate and more neutral.

If you're looking for a V-shaped signature you probably won't like the 1R. It's an excellent sounding headphone but the sound signature is more like an upside down U (mid-centric).

Apr 16, 2013 at 1:49 PM Post #2,227 of 2,773
Anyone know of a good, sexy cable with an iPhone remote that would work with these headphones? (I'm talking ~$20 or less, none of those crazy $300 cables.) There's a V-Moda cable that seems to fit the bill; any others?

Apr 16, 2013 at 2:03 PM Post #2,228 of 2,773
Quote:
Anyone know of a good, sexy cable with an iPhone remote that would work with these headphones? (I'm talking ~$20 or less, none of those crazy $300 cables.) There's a V-Moda cable that seems to fit the bill; any others?

There's always the Beats cable which pretty decent. But the V-Moda is supposedly much more durable, not that I've had it for long enough to tell.

Apr 16, 2013 at 2:11 PM Post #2,229 of 2,773
Quote:
Yep, that worked, thanks a bunch.
All you need is insert some thin plastic spatula to unlock one of them (9 or 3 o'clock), the rest come off w/o problem.

You mean something like this?
tongue.gif
Had some Extreme Dynamat leftovers lying around after Denon D5000 modding.

Quote:

Wondering if anyone else tried the mod. After spending more time with them I can confirm that my impressions above are not imagination and the change is even more noticeable out of portable for some reason.
The bass hits very hard and tight now, not loose at all, more subbass and added clarity in mids.
I was using this Extreme Dynamat http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00020CATC/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It's fully reversible in case you would want to go back to stock but IMO the improvement is totally worth the hassle.

Little bump for a wonderful mod with the update.
Colleague of mine purchased MDR-1R as well (guess who helped him with the decision
very_evil_smiley.gif
) and we have done formal A/B testing of modded and unmodded pairs.
And modded has so much more clarity in the mids and very tight and better defined bass in comparison. You can hear individual drum hits when on umodded pair it turns into bloated mash that creeps into mids when things get busy. And the difference is not small at all.
Now he is begging me to mod his pair too. Lucky for him I still have some dynamat left.

Apr 16, 2013 at 2:33 PM Post #2,230 of 2,773
Quote:

Never heard beyer COPS,but I own SRH840 and 1R.I think the srh 840 will be better for your sound signature preferences.

I also think that (if you don't mind the funny look on your head),the srh 840 is better for portable use due to the slightly better isolation,and more balanced sound signature at higher volumes.The 1R also has a problem when the weather is windy,the wind noise through the small holes on the cups ruins the portability...Shure don't have this problem.Sony are nicer on the head though and not so extreme looking when you wear them...

In my opinion,Sony MDR 1R are very good headphones for low to moderate volume listening at home or quiet places,and I think they will perform better with analytical/flat/cold sounding equipment which don't color the sound further,because of the headphones already colored and somewhat treble shy/slightly veiled signature.

Apr 16, 2013 at 2:40 PM Post #2,231 of 2,773
Quote:
In my opinion,Sony MDR 1R are very good headphones for low to moderate volume listening at home or quiet places,and I think they will perform better with analytical/flat/cold sounding equipment which don't color the sound further,because of the headphones already colored and somewhat treble shy/slightly veiled signature.

They sound tons crispier after dampening cups with dynamat. See my post above, seriously, I was almost shocked by how much better they sounded in A/B test, so was my non audiophile friend.

Apr 16, 2013 at 2:45 PM Post #2,232 of 2,773
Quote:
They sound tons crispier after dampening cups with dynamat. See my post above, seriously, I was almost shocked by how much better they sounded in A/B test, so was my non audiophile friend.

oh yes I'm tempted now to perform this mod...Maybe I will try it,but I'm a bit afraid to open the earcups :-s
I don't even know how to remove the pads.

Apr 16, 2013 at 3:15 PM Post #2,233 of 2,773
Quote:

Quote:
oh yes I'm tempted now to perform this mod...Maybe I will try it,but I'm a bit afraid to open the earcups :-s

Hey Andrew_WOT

Would you mind giving us a more step by step instructions on how to do it? For us newbies to modding in general. I've heard of Dynamat of course, from the Fostex TRP50 modders. Can you show us how to open up the cups and where to specifically apply the dynamat?

Thanks
beerchug.gif

Apr 16, 2013 at 3:57 PM Post #2,234 of 2,773
Quote:

The headphones already come with a 3-button iPhone cable.  Are you looking for a replacement to the stock cable?

Apr 16, 2013 at 4:06 PM Post #2,235 of 2,773
Quote:

Essentially you:
1) Remove earpad by inserting thin plastic spatula or something similar between earpad and cup rim at 11 or 2 o'clock. The earpads are hold in place on plastic clips, you need to unlock just one by pressing on it and the rest comes off easily.
2) You need small philips screwdriver to unscrew driver from the cup.
3) Cut a corresponding size circle from dynamat, you can experiment with paper first to find the proper size that fits inside the cup. Put dynamat into freezer before cutting, that makes it much easier to work with.
4) Remove backing paper from dynamat and apply to the inside of cup. Now, thoroughly massage that circle so it sticks really good and there are no air bubbles left between dynamat and cup. Take your time, you can use solid round object like butt of a big screwdriver or just your thumb.
5) Screw the driver back to the ear cup, watch for the wire and small red rubber washers that go on cup's swivels (you can see them on the picture below).
6) Attach earpad back, seam should point down. It just clips on easily, make sure to go around to "click" each clip to lock.
7) Do the same on the second cup.

You can order Extreme Dynamat from here http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00020CATC/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1
ir

The final product.

This Russian web site has a lot of detailed pictures of MDR-1R internals, that should help too
http://personalaudio.ru/review/full-size-headphones/naushniki_sony_1r_i_1rbt/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back