Sony has new headphones, MDR-1R
Nov 24, 2012 at 4:14 PM Post #976 of 2,773
Quote:
On the bottom right of each post there is a button called "quote, click on that 
smile.gif

Very kind, thanks indeed! Have a nice weekend.

Nov 25, 2012 at 2:42 AM Post #977 of 2,773
For anyone that find the 1r too warm/dark, u should try the nc version. Nc version resemble the old denon d2000/5000 type of sound,. It has a nice treble lift, not as much as d2000 and sub bass is more obvious than 1r but less than d2000. mid bass reduce a little. In short, it's still a v shape.

Nov 25, 2012 at 4:28 PM Post #980 of 2,773
Quote:
Has anyone made a comparison between these and DT770 Pro or AKG K550?

I personally find the akg k550 to be clearly better,it has a more neutral sound signature,better tonality.Actually the akg k550 is among the best closed I've heard in this price,along with the shure srh 840.(which I don't find it to be that different compared to k550).

Sony are not bad,but I find them too warm and coloured...and there is a lack of treble presence.They have nice imaging and smooth,grain free sound to my ears,but they sound a bit unnatural,too warm and full in the mids/midbass.I'll give them more burn in time to see if they change.

It's a shame because it's the best of all the closed i have right now (shure srh840,akg k550,krk kns 6400),in terms of looks and comfort...I wish it had the sound of one of these three or something close to their sound anyway,but I guess you can't have everything in one headphone... 
smile.gif

Nov 25, 2012 at 4:41 PM Post #981 of 2,773
Quote:
I personally find the akg k550 to be clearly better,it has a more neutral sound signature,better tonality.Actually the akg k550 is among the best closed I've heard in this price,along with the shure srh 840.(which I don't find it to be that different compared to k550).

Sony are not bad,but I find them too warm and coloured...and there is a lack of treble presence.They have nice imaging and smooth,grain free sound to my ears,but they sound a bit unnatural,too warm and full in the mids/midbass.I'll give them more burn in time to see if they change.

It's a shame because it's the best of all the closed i have right now (shure srh840,akg k550,krk kns 6400),in terms of looks and comfort...I wish it had the sound of one of these three or something close to their sound anyway,but I guess you can't have everything in one headphone... 
smile.gif

Interesting how there have been at least five closed headphones (in the $200-$300 range) that have garnered initial raves, only to end up generating very mixed reviews overall....R1, M100, UE6000, Momentum and COP. And all seem to have a problem in the bass.

Nov 25, 2012 at 5:08 PM Post #982 of 2,773
Quote:

smile.gif

Thank you for your answer. I was considering purchasing them but right now i'm not so sure...

Nov 25, 2012 at 5:36 PM Post #983 of 2,773
DT770pro - 250 Ohm is (in my opinion) MUCH better than 1R (not more, but better bass and subbass, natural mids, great soundstage and very crisp highs). The MDR is too warm, with very coloured mids and dark highs. Soundstage of the sony is like a "broom chamber".  K550 has (to me) not enough bass, upper mids are too bright to me (screaming). But crisp highs, like typical AKG (K701, Q701) It's more a closed K601 with a little more compact bass.

Nov 25, 2012 at 6:14 PM Post #984 of 2,773
Quote:
Please forgive my really rough draft notes. Not expanded, not cleaned up, not even minced.
MDR-1R vs MDR-1RBT (wireless)
1R has more forward mids than the 1RBT
1R seems to have somewhat similar soundstage than the 1RBT
1RBT sounds more digital whereas the 1R seems to be more fluid
1RBT has the deeper bass than the 1R
1RBT could sound a little more sibilant than the 1R
MDR-1R vs MDR-1RBT (wired)
??? Different but not listened long enough to detail down the difference.

Comfort
1RBT seems to clamp more than the 1R.

Thanks bro!
beerchug.gif

no need for a long impressions just those drafts are enough! thanks again!

Nov 25, 2012 at 7:22 PM Post #985 of 2,773
Quote:
Thank you for your answer. I was considering purchasing them but right now i'm not so sure...

Hi Christo4. I have the AKG K550 for more than a year and I love that headphone. I bought the Sony MDR-1R few days ago and I just returned it to Sony.

The AKG K550 is not perfect, but in general it is quite an extraordinary headphone and one that I think is worth the cost. Very transparent, very clear sound, with great soundstage and positional imaging of instruments, and it is exciting sound, sound that absorbs you to listen to music. This is a headphone that works best with proper amplification, in my case I use the Schiit DAB Bifrost and the amp Asgard and the combination with the K550 is fantastic. These pair of DAC + AMP adds warmth and body to the base to create a fantastic Hi-Fi set-up for a Mid-Fi price.

In my view the Sony MDR-1R  doesn't excel at anything except comfort, and has some key limitations including small soundstage, some grain in the sound, some darkness and gets congested when playing fast music of complex tonality. 

Nov 25, 2012 at 9:05 PM Post #986 of 2,773
So, I can assume that you can only get a silver version from some place like jlist (if they have them) or AJ? I saw a post saying that he/she pre-ordered his/hers. So many mixed impressions on this set :s It'd be great if you guys could reply!

Nov 25, 2012 at 9:35 PM Post #987 of 2,773
I have a MDR-1RNC and can say that the sound quality is excellent.  At $500 it`s a tad expensive, but what Sony product isn`t[size=small]?  Makes me wonder what the normal MDR-1R sounds like.[/size]

Nov 25, 2012 at 10:24 PM Post #988 of 2,773
Quote:
...In my view the Sony MDR-1R  doesn't excel at anything except comfort, and has some key limitations including small soundstage, some grain in the sound, some darkness and gets congested when playing fast music of complex tonality. 

Among a few other headphones, I also have the K 550, and prefer the MDR-1R.

As for your summary of the MDR-1R, I couldn't disagree more on just about all you said. I don't find it to have a small soundstage (for a closed headphone), grain in the sound, or congestion when playing fast music of complex tonality. Relative to the K 550, it is darker.

That said, we each hear what we hear, and, in this case (and likely others), our assessments of the same headphone clearly differ.

Nov 26, 2012 at 3:22 AM Post #989 of 2,773
Quote:

Among a few other headphones, I also have the K 550, and prefer the MDR-1R.

As for your summary of the MDR-1R, I couldn't disagree more on just about all you said. I don't find it to have a small soundstage (for a closed headphone), grain in the sound, or congestion when playing fast music of complex tonality. Relative to the K 550, it is darker.

That said, we each hear what we hear, and, in this case (and likely others), our assessments of the same headphone clearly differ.

I also think that sony mdr 1r have good soundstage and imaging,and a smooth,grain free sound.Detail and speed/prat is not bad too.My problem is that the midrange is a bit too warm/thick,and some higher frequensies have not so good presence(at least for now with 15 hours burn in time),so the sound is very warm and a bit veiled.If I listen to sony's for a while,and adjust to their sound,then the shure srh 840 and akg k550 sounds very weird,with much treble quantity,and very thin and hollow/unnatural midrange-vocals etc.
I don't think that sony's are bad sounding headphones,they just have their own tonality,which I personally don't like that much,compared to some other headphones I own.I guess some people may like this type of sound,though.

I also believe that this type of earpads and fit(pleather etc),sometime make this tonality more pronounced.I tried to reduce the pressure of the earcups with my hands while listening,and the sound seemed to be more balanced this way.Unfortunatelly I could't find a position on my head to achive this balance though.This is one problem that I also had with the krk 8400,their pads and fit on my head had a not so good result to the final sound signature.

I'm gonna give the sony's some more burn in time,to see if the sound change to my liking,because the build quality,looks and comfort are so nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back