Sony has new headphones, MDR-1R
May 2, 2013 at 1:01 PM Post #2,401 of 2,773
Here's a quick video.

May 2, 2013 at 11:58 PM Post #2,403 of 2,773
Quote:
I absolutely LOVE the sound on these. The only slight thing which could improve is the sub bass. Which iems under $100 sound similar to these? I got the  MH1C and I'm not too pleased with them.

I'm not very pleased with the comfort of the MH1C and have been looking to replace the IEM with a more better set of headphones. Looks like the MDR-1R is the way to go and will be getting a pair to try out.

Steve

May 3, 2013 at 8:32 AM Post #2,404 of 2,773
Hello all, I am new here but have been reading a lot of reviews and feedback shared on this thread on the new Sony headphones.

I just bought a pair of the MDR-1RBT and tried it out on my phone and laptop, both on Bluetooth and wired.

I find the audio to be very strong on bass, compared to the earphones I use daily (Logitech UE350 and UE700)
Is this normal? An example of a track I played was Adele - Someone like you.

I don't think this implies there is anything wrong with the MDR-1RBT headphones right? (I bought them brand new)

I am hoping that this is just based on the different drivers on the UE700 earphones vs the 1RBT headphones, hence resulting in different audio output quality altogether.

I hope that makes sense and would greatly appreciate if someone could share some insight on whether or not it is normal for me to be hearing different sound output from the UE700 v 1RBT.

Thanks in advance.

May 3, 2013 at 9:26 AM Post #2,405 of 2,773
Quote:

I'm not very pleased with the comfort of the MH1C and have been looking to replace the IEM with a more better set of headphones. Looks like the MDR-1R is the way to go and will be getting a pair to try out.

Steve

The MDR-1R are AMAZING comfort and sound wise both. I absolutely love them. You should definitely give them a try. I did and ended up buying them.

May 3, 2013 at 11:06 AM Post #2,406 of 2,773
Quote:
Hello all, I am new here but have been reading a lot of reviews and feedback shared on this thread on the new Sony headphones.

I just bought a pair of the MDR-1RBT and tried it out on my phone and laptop, both on Bluetooth and wired.

I find the audio to be very strong on bass, compared to the earphones I use daily (Logitech UE350 and UE700)
Is this normal? An example of a track I played was Adele - Someone like you.

I don't think this implies there is anything wrong with the MDR-1RBT headphones right? (I bought them brand new)

I am hoping that this is just based on the different drivers on the UE700 earphones vs the 1RBT headphones, hence resulting in different audio output quality altogether.

I hope that makes sense and would greatly appreciate if someone could share some insight on whether or not it is normal for me to be hearing different sound output from the UE700 v 1RBT.

Thanks in advance.

It's a different sound signature.  There is a lot involved in what makes them different.  They are shaped differently as the UE700 are in earphones and the Sonys are full sized circumaural phones.  That alone will make them sound vastly different.  You will find more of a "soundstage" on them than your UEs, which is to mean you can feel more space in the music, because they deliver music differently to your ears, though I'm not familiar with the UEs and some in ears have a decent soundstage, but I doubt the UE700 are in that category.

They also have full sized drivers, which has a different sound as well.  More bass is probably a good thing, unless it sounds bloated or sloppy to you or is just too much for your liking, but you could also try to EQ it, though some people think you should never have to EQ headphones.  Personal preference there, though I have no problem using some EQ.

They also use bluetooth, which delivers the audio to your headphones in a completely different manner.  It's important to note that inherently there is some sound quality lost when you are using a bluetooth device simply because they have bandwidth limitations, and the source your using can also vastly effect how good they sound.  It's the price you pay for the convenience of going cable free.

The only thing that would hint at your headphones having a defect would be if they rattled or if something actually sounded wrong rather than just different.  I don't have the bluetooth version, so I can't say whether or not they are more bassy than the normal version, but I would not label these as basshead cans at all.  They have nice bass, not the best or strongest I've heard, but pretty good.  Certainly not something that would suggest they have a problem.  If you think they do have a problem, you may want to try to find somewhere that has some on display so you can compare them, but it doesn't sound like you actually have a problem to me.

May 3, 2013 at 11:10 AM Post #2,407 of 2,773
I also posted this in the 'Sony MDR-1R / MDR-1RNC fix for jack rattle' discussion thread, but I figure alot of you that don't have these issues may not look in that thread, so I am also posting here.

I have been fortunate enough to own 2 different MDR-1R's and have not experience the rack rattle or any other creaks or sound coming from mine,  seem very sturdy to me. 

But for those seeking other alternatives to the jack rattle fix, maybe this is the solution

Forward to the 2:55 mark and pay special attention.  Mind blowing!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNomXyN_gSg

I am laughing hysterically, I just wish I could understand what he is saying.  Enjoy!!!

May 3, 2013 at 11:30 AM Post #2,408 of 2,773
Quote:
I also posted this in the 'Sony MDR-1R / MDR-1RNC fix for jack rattle' discussion thread, but I figure alot of you that don't have these issues may not look in that thread, so I am also posting here.

I have been fortunate enough to own 2 different MDR-1R's and have not experience the rack rattle or any other creaks or sound coming from mine,  seem very sturdy to me. 

But for those seeking other alternatives to the jack rattle fix, maybe this is the solution

Forward to the 2:55 mark and pay special attention.  Mind blowing!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNomXyN_gSg

I am laughing hysterically, I just wish I could understand what he is saying.  Enjoy!!!

So...  we've all been doing it wrong this whole time?!?!

May 3, 2013 at 3:53 PM Post #2,409 of 2,773
Well mine just developed the dreaded jack rattle.  I knew I shouldn't have worn them laying down, I think I must have put some pressure on the jack without realizing it.  I did the fix and that works well, but it's just a PITA.  

May 3, 2013 at 10:55 PM Post #2,410 of 2,773
Hi guys,

HiFiGuy528 video on how to easily fix the rattling issue is great - thanks Mike!

Has anyone figured how to fix the wind noise issue with the hole at the top of the headphone? Thinking Sony made a boo-boo here by placing the opening at the top of the headphone. 

Will be soon getting a pair of the MDR-1R and looking forward to wearing a comfortable set of portable headphones. Somewhere in this thread is a pad-fi mod on the MDR-1R, if it improve the comfort even further, I'm willing to consider this. Also a mod on the cup to change the sound signature to something better.

It'd be nice to have the OP link these mods on the first post so that beginners looking into the Sony MDR-1R can find information easily rather than reading through a 160 page thread.

Steve

May 4, 2013 at 1:54 AM Post #2,411 of 2,773
Careful there (I'm still waitng for my MDR-1R)... if that is a sound vent of some sort (as it seems to be) occluding that hole will be like shutting the "bass reflex" channel... that could change the timbre (less but more controlled bass, less sensitivity, a lor more harmonics inside the cup).

May 4, 2013 at 6:15 AM Post #2,412 of 2,773
Quote:
Careful there (I'm still waitng for my MDR-1R)... if that is a sound vent of some sort (as it seems to be) occluding that hole will be like shutting the "bass reflex" channel... that could change the timbre (less but more controlled bass, less sensitivity, a lor more harmonics inside the cup).

No, the bass vent are on the top of headphone on both side.

May 4, 2013 at 10:32 AM Post #2,413 of 2,773
Quote:
Hi guys,

HiFiGuy528 video on how to easily fix the rattling issue is great - thanks Mike!

Has anyone figured how to fix the wind noise issue with the hole at the top of the headphone? Thinking Sony made a boo-boo here by placing the opening at the top of the headphone. 

Will be soon getting a pair of the MDR-1R and looking forward to wearing a comfortable set of portable headphones. Somewhere in this thread is a pad-fi mod on the MDR-1R, if it improve the comfort even further, I'm willing to consider this. Also a mod on the cup to change the sound signature to something better.

It'd be nice to have the OP link these mods on the first post so that beginners looking into the Sony MDR-1R can find information easily rather than reading through a 160 page thread.

Steve

Umm, where would you like the hole? Don't touch it. It's designed to be there.

May 5, 2013 at 11:30 PM Post #2,415 of 2,773
Quote:
Finally solved the creaking issue! As I thought it was just the hinge making noise. So I opened it up and with a toothpick applied very small amounts of vaseline to both the hinges. Put it back together and the creaking noise is gone! Also upon closer inspection those silicon rings that sony put there to reduce noise don't do anything at all.

Thanks Shuman0101! 

I'm a long time lurker and created an account to say thanks.
I've had the 1RBT for a couple months now and it creaked or rattled with the slightest of movements.
The sound quality and comfort was much better than the Sennheiser MM100 and MM400X I had before so I kept it.
I tried spraying white lithium grease on all the hinges externally but it didn't fix the creaking; not until opening it up and lubricating the interior hinges.

One bit of advice however is NOT to use Vaseline or any petroleum-based product as it may damage plastic.
White lithium grease, powdered graphite lubricant or synthetic greases with PTFE (Teflon) are generally safe for plastics (should state so on the label). 

Also, I found the rattling sound was from the NFC button for my 1RBT.  Simply sticking my nail between the small gap on the switch fixed this.  This wasn't a permanent fix as sliding the NFC switch sometimes loosens it again but I was hesitant to muck around all the fragile wires.  Maybe when I have more spare time I'll open it up again and look for a permanent fix.

Another discovery is that the battery is easily replaceable in the right side cup; it's basically just a pop out battery like you'd find in a cell phone.

Now I can finally enjoy my music without the annoying squeaks and rattles.
o2smile.gif

Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back