Sony has new headphones, MDR-1R
Jan 30, 2013 at 5:13 PM Post #1,801 of 2,773
How come you're selling them now?

Selling them at the moment because I just made another big purchase and I really need to recoup the funds. I was on the fence about selling them for a long time but the way I see it is I can always pick them back up in the future. This is the first portable circumaural that I've owned that has been able to tick all my boxes so it is hard letting them go, but at the same time there are several new portables I still want to try as well. If only money was not an issue. :p

Jan 30, 2013 at 7:08 PM Post #1,804 of 2,773
Quote:
In Sweden, the cheapest price for the Momentums are $425, while I can get the MDR-1R for $299. 

What's the best purchase?

In Australia I haggled the Momentum down to $375, R1 was $300. I listened to them both and decided the Momentum was worth the extra. It had better sound quality to my ears and uses superior materials.I thought the R1 looked quite cheap by comparison.

Jan 30, 2013 at 8:14 PM Post #1,805 of 2,773
Does anyone know of any single button cable that will work with these headphones and Android phones?  The 3-button one doesn't play nice at all.  I've already tried the V-Moda 1-button speakeasy cable from my M-80s with limited success.  The button plays/pauses music, but it won't answer incoming calls, at least for me.  Weird thing is, the cable works as expected when plugged into the M-80s.

Jan 31, 2013 at 12:36 PM Post #1,806 of 2,773
Does anyone know of any single button cable that will work with these headphones and Android phones?  The 3-button one doesn't play nice at all.  I've already tried the V-Moda 1-button speakeasy cable from my M-80s with limited success.  The button plays/pauses music, but it won't answer incoming calls, at least for me.  Weird thing is, the cable works as expected when plugged into the M-80s.

what version of android do you have? did you try installing any headset button apps like jays headset button controller? also, ithink for some android devices if ur screen is off, the cable button doesn't work.

Jan 31, 2013 at 6:38 PM Post #1,807 of 2,773
Quote:
what version of android do you have? did you try installing any headset button apps like jays headset button controller? also, ithink for some android devices if ur screen is off, the cable button doesn't work.

Currently running Froyo (2.2) on a borrowed OG Droid.  My plan is to upgrade to a new phone soon, so it may be a moot point.  Anyway, I played around a little bit and if I press and hold the button, it will answer the call but if I hold the button too long, the call ends.  Basically, the behavior is really sensitive, but that sensitivity isn't there when using the cable is used with the M-80s (screen on or off).  I will look into the app your mentioned.

Feb 1, 2013 at 4:10 AM Post #1,808 of 2,773
not affiliated w/ the app at all, but personally found it to be FREE (lol) & works. give it a try. it sounds like you need to adjust the press/hold time of button clicks which is available under advanced settings.

this is the app. pm me if you have questions. hope you manage to get it to work :)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=se.jays.headsetcontrol&hl=en

Feb 1, 2013 at 9:21 AM Post #1,809 of 2,773
Just got these, returned a pair of Sennheiser HD 598 because they were far too bright for my taste. These sound way better in my opinion, plenty of bass too before burn in. Only thing is the tips of my ears touch the inside, but otherwise they are comfortable. Sound good straight from galaxy S3 too.

Feb 10, 2013 at 9:33 AM Post #1,811 of 2,773
I'm a very recent 1R owner and i've got to admit these 'phones do sound rather interesting. On the one hand, The mids are pretty blatantly forward, often bordering on shrill with certain vocals and electric guitars. And the bass is solid but not so well defined as i remeber the Z1000 i.e. Otoh, These have the most top-notch 3D imaging and body of notes that i've heard from a closed shallow-cupped cans. Soundstage isn't huge by anymeans, it's rather intimate presentation naturally, but it's so well layerd and seperated that i can't help but to compare it to some of the best that i've heard. That is, Stax. While it's far from being comparable in raw fidelity the soundscape that is produced is truly impressive to my ears, espcially more so for a closed design. So on this Sony has pulled thru with flying colors IMO.

But the tuning is rather awkward, It's more AT than Sony actually. I much have prefered if  they'd kept the Z1000 FR with the added imaging and ambiance rendering capabilities of the 1R.

Decisions decisions...
redface.gif

Feb 10, 2013 at 1:17 PM Post #1,813 of 2,773
Quote:
Quote:
But the tuning is rather awkward, It's more AT than Sony actually.  

Yes, and this is the best part.
atsmile.gif

ESW9 with soundstage.

Ever wondered why I loved it... Hmm.

Sounds like AT, tick.
Presented like STAX, tick.
Cost quarter of either of them, tick.

Feb 10, 2013 at 3:34 PM Post #1,814 of 2,773
2 things are making me hesitant to pull the trigger on these:

1) Jack rattle. Is this a design flaw present in every unit, or an uncommon defect?

2) Comfort. Most people say these are the most comfortable headphones on the market, but I've read several reviews and comments where people complained that their ear tips touched the plastic inside in the earcup.

Both of these are dealbreakers for me.

Feb 10, 2013 at 3:58 PM Post #1,815 of 2,773
Quote:
2 things are making me hesitant to pull the trigger on these:

1) Jack rattle. Is this a design flaw present in every unit, or an uncommon defect?

2) Comfort. Most people say these are the most comfortable headphones on the market, but I've read several reviews and comments where people complained that their ear tips touched the plastic inside in the earcup.

Both of these are dealbreakers for me.

Never experienced the rattle myself, but I don't move with them a lot.
They are extremely comfortable but as we all are built differently there always will be some percentage of users that will have fitting problem one way or another, at least they are truly circumaural vs. on ears design of Momentum

Users who are viewing this thread

Back