Sony HAP-Z1ES. New High-Res Streamer/Music Server from Sony
Jul 2, 2014 at 6:48 PM Post #3 of 111
Has anyone had the chance to compare it to other players like an AK240? Both could be very good in your home setup, but how do they differ sonically? Of course with your own headphone amp. The AK is an amp as well, but if you love the sound signature of your own amp because it works great with your phones etc, do Sony and AK sound different? I like the idea of not using a computer and a DAC, but one integrated device.

Jul 2, 2014 at 8:01 PM Post #4 of 111
Has anyone had the chance to compare it to other players like an AK240? Both could be very good in your home setup, but how do they differ sonically? Of course with your own headphone amp. The AK is an amp as well, but if you love the sound signature of your own amp because it works great with your phones etc, do Sony and AK sound different? I like the idea of not using a computer and a DAC, but one integrated device.

This is a very different device from AK240. Every DAP has their own sound, there aren't two DAPs that sounds the same. Most of them have their own colors.

You can just buy a NAD 7050. A very good devide that has DAC and AMP, with wireless functionality too.

Jul 3, 2014 at 10:08 AM Post #5 of 111
Thanks for the advice Andy Andy. The reason why I asked the question is that I have a nice Grado amp and a Grado phone that I use with my turntable with a Grado cartridge of course. My speaker system :xf_eek:has a DAC, a TT and a computer. I just ask myself if a media player with HD or SD cards would be a sensible addition to my headphone station and if the Sony, which I didn't hear until now, could be a good choice. No computer, all in one that's what I'm looking for. The AKs are known for very good sound quality and they are in a similar price range, so I wonder if anyone could do a comparision if gets both devices or if he has both devices. Maybe the wrong idea?

Sep 23, 2014 at 2:05 AM Post #6 of 111
I had the chance to check one of these out recently, but in the dealer's store on very unfamiliar equipment. The reviews are all very positive, but I am loathe to plunk down the dough without testing at home against my current setup. I like the ability to play high rez files and the fact it converts PCM to DSD for Redbook files.

It is built like the proverbial ES tanks of their SACD players, but the plackback controller app (on an IPad Mini) was a bit glitchy. Easy to control via the front panel controls, however.

Hard to assess the sound quality, as there were so many different variables of amps, cables and headphones.

Sep 23, 2014 at 10:48 PM Post #7 of 111
Has anyone found a viable solution to the issues around music transfer on the S1 / Z1ES ? Someone suggested moving tracks across in batches of 100 - a laborious exercise but if it works I'd be a lot keener to try the Sony. 

Oct 13, 2014 at 12:41 AM Post #8 of 111
I've had my HAP-Z1ES for about a week now and am very happy with it. The player was very easy to setup and connect to my home Wi-Fi network. Just one minute after turning it on and connecting to my home network it notified me there was a newer version of the firmware and would I like to update it. That process was very easy and a few minutes later it was complete and up-to-date.

After installing and configuring the music transfer program on my PC, I left it alone to transfer my music files. It transferred all of it, 85 GB, in about 5 hours over the Wi-Fi. It was all seamless and went without a hitch. You can set the transfer program to monitor selected folders on your PC and it will automatically transfer any new files. You can configure the music file types to ignore or to transfer

The player came with about 20 demo music files of various formats, including DSD.

The Sony Android app that I use to control the player is gorgeous and has good functionality. There's a version of the app for my phone and one for my tablet. The tablet version has a bigger layout and includes one or two extra features.

There are a few missing features from the app, like a random option or fade between tracks, but I never need those so not having them doesn't bother me. I mostly play my music using playlists and the capability to create and edit playlists from the app is good. Especially since I was coming from the iBasso DX100, which has very limited playlist functionality. It is also easy to edit metadata in the app.

One other thing about the control app. It's not a big feature, but it is pretty cool. The background color in the app changes color to match your album artwork. So if the artwork for your current song is mostly light blue, the background changes to light blue. If the next song has dark red as a prominent color then the background fades to dark red. It's very subtle and they do it in a way where the text on screen is always readable.

I've read elsewhere that the player made no noise, but that's not quite true. You can hear a slight hard-drive noise coming from it, and perhaps there's a small fan inside. Not much, but it is there.

There are plenty of reviewers out there raving about the sound quality so I won't add much more, other than its sounds great. And at 37 lbs. it's built like a tank. Sony did a first rate job on the HAP-Z1ES.

Oct 16, 2014 at 1:29 AM Post #9 of 111
I picked up a brand new in box HAP-Z1ES today at a great price. I followed the Internet advice and immediately upgraded firmware. I had to do this twice, as it looks like a new firmware update was added just tonight. The firmware update process was painless.

Not so much the rest of the setup. I am accustomed to issues involving network equipment, and the Sony is no different than most. It easily found my wireless networks, but the challenges were in music transfer as many have experienced. I am also using a Mac Mini. My older Mini (power PC based) was too old to run the HAP transfer software, but luckily I have a newer Mini and was able to install the software successfully.

I first opted to use wired transfer method with my router. However, the router in my music room is not connected to the Internet (I need to set it up as an access point). When I've tried to connect via wired method, I have some delay trying to detect the Sony. Once detected, I decided to transfer one music folder (e.g. Artist) at a time using the Mac HAP software, but it would just say "waiting to transfer". Trying the same thing, but this time using the wireless method, worked flawlessly, at least until my WiFi would hiccup and drop the signal, which would make the transfer stall and not complete. But, for smaller folders (like 4-12 songs), it mostly worked, if slowly.

Finally, I tried just opening up a window using Finder on the Mac, and another one for the Sony (which shows up as a drive on my Mac). It took a while to find the right folder on the Sony to copy to, but once I did, I just dragged an entire folder from my Mac External drive over to the Sony and it copied fine. What it didn't do immediately was add track information when I tried to access the transferred music on the Sony. Why? Likely because I had the Sony in "wired" mode, and it couldn't grab the Gracenote data until I switched the Sony back to wireless mode.

Most of this hassle could be avoided if my router were simply connected to the Internet, so I don't fault the Sony for my network hardware issues. And I am familiar with trouble shooting these things. I can imagine a less tech-savvy audiophile to be getting pretty cranky that it didn't "just work", not perhaps appreciating that his network really needs to be functioning as the Sony intends it, either wired (and internet connected) or wireless (and then dealing with the slower transfer speeds).

Another initial hiccup: I downloaded the iOS app for my IPad, but couldn't' get the app to work initially. The issue ended up being the need to update the firmware the second time (which I reference above), and once that was done, the app worked quite flawlessly. I like the new app's features of being able to turn DSEE and DSD conversion off and on easily.

Once I copied over the folders using "Finder", I then need only switch the Sony back to wireless network connection, and let it fetch the track data from Gracenote. It took just a while for the player to update its database, but not every track was fully tagged (about 4 didn't quite match). I'll wait till see if the Sony updates with the right track data. But it looks like the better route would be to use the HAP software if I don't want to be correcting track data. To correct the track details, you can use the iOS app and just click on "Get music info" and select the right match for the track. Total pain in the ass.

Ok, let's say I let the HAP software handle the transfer and get my router issues sorted so as not to interfere. The real question is "How does the Sony sound?" I can't answer this question fully yet. The DSD files sound very nice, clear, and compelling. The Redbook (CD) files sound nice but a bit sterile compared to the Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista Tube DAC. DSD remastering certainly sounds better with Redbook files than without it being turned on, lots of great detail.

But two things make the comparison less than fair at this stage: first, the Sony has yet to fully break in (and several commentators mentioned it takes a few days to sound its best), and second, I was running a super high quality power cord/filter (~$900) on the MF DAC and Squeezebox and from a dedicated 20a circuit, whereas the Sony has its stock wimpy power cord with no filters and plugged into a power strip. Not trying to stir up a debate on break in, but every component I've ever purchased changed sonically over 72+hours of warm up, some quite dramatically, so I'll let the Sony cook a while. Same with power cords, I have always heard a difference between stock cords and aftermarket cords.

UPDATE: DAY 2. Sound improved over the previous day. Sounded less sterile, more warmth. Detail was great, I was able to pick out some things in a few redbook recordings I hadn't noticed before (like Shawn Colvin whispering "hey" softly, just after the start of "The Facts About Jimmy." That nice amplifier fuzz on Sheryl Crow's guitar on Hard to make a Stand" has a wonderful warm tone, and the bass is a whole lotta fat fun, and the Hammond B3 has a wonderful resonance. On the MF Tri-Vista DAC, provided it has been cooking for a while to let the tubes warm up, it sounds just glorious. The Sony on Day 2 was much closer, and the base line was more detailed. A bit more dynamic, if still a touch sterile than the MF.

That was all through the Audeze cans. Switching over to the Sennheiser HD650's, the sound was nice and "juicier" than I recalled on the MF. I don't think the HD650 is the best match with tubes, as its already too dark, and the Woo favors the Audeze to my ears, but with the Sony in the mix, it did just fine.

Switching over to the Foundation Research LC1 AC cable wrought a small but noticeable improvement, mostly in clarity and further removing more of the sterile aspects of the sound. Bass felt a bit weightier than with the stock cable. Less grunge. This AC cable has a filter that is supposed to remove AC line noise, so perhaps that was what was going on.  

One of my favorite classical tracks is Enrico Morricone's "The Ecstasy of Gold" from his soundtrack of Sergio Leone's The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. It has opera, a choir, and large string and horn ensemble. The Italian imported version is sonically superior, if you are ordering the CD. I always get goosebumps with this track on a great system, and tonight was no exception. More detail was heard in the choir. Do yourself a favor and watch this awesome Youtube version to see it performed live to understand how much is going on in the recording.

Jun 10, 2015 at 2:43 AM Post #12 of 111
Anybody with any more opinions, thoughts and experience with this unit? Something else you might recommend in its place?
Thanks!
Shmuel

Z1es is a steal at $2k.  Sony could charge $4k if it didn't have the Sony name....

Jun 10, 2015 at 10:15 AM Post #14 of 111
HiFiGuy,
Can you tell me what you like most about the unit?
Do you use it daily?
Thanks!
Shmuel

I personally own one and use it daily.  I mostly treat it like a Mega Disc changer than a traditional music server.  The sound on Z1es beats DACs costing nearly twice as much (won't mention the brand).  We (Woo Audio) loves the Z1es so much, we use it at trade shows and will be offering it on our web site to our customers.  The unit is nearly 40 lbs. boxed, we wouldn't pay ship it around to shows if we didn't LOVE it.

I paid full retail price for mine.  Putting my money where my mouth is....

I will be buying a second unit to replace my Sony SCD-1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back