Sony HAP-Z1ES. New High-Res Streamer/Music Server from Sony
Feb 12, 2016 at 12:47 PM Post #31 of 111
  I just finished a tutorial with lots of pics on how to upgrade the internal hard drive. Just Google "Sony HAP-Z1es hard drive upgrade, HiFiInsider". Hope it'll help someone here to enjoy this great server further. I own two of these beauties. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks so much. Excellent and clear guide. I have a HAP-S1 but will be replacing my drive very, very soon. Thanks for sharing!

Feb 12, 2016 at 12:52 PM Post #32 of 111
thanks.

Feb 12, 2016 at 3:03 PM Post #33 of 111

Hi!

I was wondering if you are able to test something?

The original HDD that was in your player - do you have a USB to SATA cable? I wanted to find out - if you then just take your original HDD drive and plug it into the the rear USB port on the machine - if it will read all of the music on that drive since it was already formatted by the HAP. Or if it will fail since it was a boot-up drive...

This is more just for curiosity. Thanks!

Quote:
  I just finished a tutorial with lots of pics on how to upgrade the internal hard drive. Just Google "Sony HAP-Z1es hard drive upgrade, HiFiInsider". Hope it'll help someone here to enjoy this great server further. I own two of these beauties. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 13, 2016 at 9:49 AM Post #34 of 111
Hi!

I was wondering if you are able to test something?

The original HDD that was in your player - do you have a USB to SATA cable? I wanted to find out - if you then just take your original HDD drive and plug it into the the rear USB port on the machine - if it will read all of the music on that drive since it was already formatted by the HAP. Or if it will fail since it was a boot-up drive...

This is more just for curiosity. Thanks!

Because I love you... 
beerchug.gif

It scans and mounts, but the music is not loaded, only the LOST+FOUND folder shows up. It's empty...

Jun 17, 2016 at 4:28 PM Post #36 of 111
Gentlemen,

I thought I might share a couple simple DIY upgrades to the HAP-Z1ES.
While I have done extensive mods to the Z1, these 2 provide what I call "essential" for maximum performance.
The combination of these 2 actions will transform the HAP-Z1ES from best bang for the buck ... to ... World Class Digital.

1. Install an Internal SSD. 

2. Cryo treat the entire unit. (LCD Faceplate Removed)

Start by removing the top cover and installing a SSD, I recommend a 1TB Samsung 850 EVO. (2TB even bigger)
Once the SSD is installed, perform a factory restore from the menu, it will format the SSD in less then 3 minutes.
Yes, you must re-install all your music ... small price to pay. 
I can't imagine anyone not hearing the difference, nor not being able to perform this operation themselves.
If your on a budget, you can always install a smaller SSD and add a larger spinning drive to the rear USB jack.
I hear no difference from music stored on the rear USB spinning drive ... once you have an Internal SSD installed.
With the latest software, you can add a USB hub and have both a CDROM & USB Hard Drive hooked up at the same time.

While Cryo treating may intimidate some novices, man up, it's really simple to do. 
With the top cover off, remove all the top and bottom screws that hold on the front faceplate.
Unplug all the quick disconnects and set the LCD faceplate aside in a safe place, reinstall top cover.
Send the entire unit to a Vapor Cryo Lab, I recommend Cryogenics International of Scottsdale AZ. 
You don't want to submerge the unit in liquid nitrogen, a proper vapor process will achieve the same results without the shock effect.

A proper Cryo treatment is a permanent process, I have treated 1000's of audio products over the years with some excellent results.
If there's one underlining theme, it's the Better the product Pre-Cryo ... the Bigger the results Post Cryo. 
No, No's are LCD screens, older overheated brittle electronic boards, anything with glues like speaker cones, and non-professional paint jobs can peel. Most everything else is good to go.

The HAP-Z1ES is a perfect Cryo candidate, I have done 3 with zero issue's. (Yes, you can leave the SSD inside)
If you also have a Sony TA- A1ES amp, you can dunk the entire amplifier as-is into the Cryo Tank.
The digital readout on the front of the A1ES is not a LCD ... it survives the Cryo process just fine.
Don't forget to throw in all your cables while your gear's at the Cryo Lab.  
I have done shootouts with Cryo'd and Un-Cryo'd Sony HAP-Z1ES & TA-A1ES pair ... the differences really are amazing.

World Class Audio, no better bang for the buck IMO!!!

Think about it ... for the total cost of an average audiophile interconnect cable your can permanently transform your Sony Components.

Peace.

Jun 23, 2016 at 9:40 PM Post #37 of 111
smily_headphones1.gif

Did the video get pulled? Couldn't find it.

Jun 24, 2016 at 6:13 PM Post #40 of 111
Jul 22, 2016 at 2:22 AM Post #41 of 111
I heard that the app doesn't do random/shuffle. That's a shame! Is it likely to be fixed (guessing not)? Any other good music servers that do that?

Jul 22, 2016 at 6:45 AM Post #42 of 111
Roon
https://roonlabs.com

Jul 30, 2016 at 9:54 PM Post #43 of 111
Can the ssd upgrade work with the Sony HAPS1/S?  I am assuming they can but mine is on the way and if it will work with an ssd would like to do that before inporting my music files.  Thank You

Jul 31, 2016 at 11:38 AM Post #44 of 111
  Can the ssd upgrade work with the Sony HAPS1/S?  I am assuming they can but mine is on the way and if it will work with an ssd would like to do that before inporting my music files.  Thank You

There are no sonic benefits in using SSD. The speed benefits are marginal. I did a HD upgrade tutorial for Z1es on my website HiFiInsider. S1 should be very similar. 

Jul 31, 2016 at 2:15 PM Post #45 of 111
Thank you for your help, I assumed as much but wanted some confirmation first. I ordered an ssd, but may just use it on main pc if this does not help file handling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back