Sony h.ear on MDR-100AAP - $199 'Hi-Res Audio' Over-Ear Headphones
Aug 3, 2017 at 9:20 AM Post #1,726 of 1,768
im deciding whether to buy it or not..i got the information about the 1a cable from z reviews on youtube...guess its not reliable source

When he reviewed it he probably had not looked for other cables. He just knew that the cable that comes with it goes in and locks. He may be correct that no other cable will actually lock and as I said above you have to be very careful what you choose if you do buy another cable.

so which one has more soundstage?
1A or 100AAP?

I have the 100AAP and my husband has the !A. We rarely listen to each others headphones. So, I cannot answer your question about soundstage. I could possibly ask him later to check on that. He is better than I am about explaining differences. I will say that I personally do not like the 1A (bass a bit too boomy to me) .The 1A is very comfortable (more comfortable to me than the 100AAP. Neither are great for portable use on a windy day... the little vents pick up the wind noise. We both have multiple headphones and IEMs. Take a look at my list. I enjoy most of my headphones including the 100AP but I have not used it in awhile as I have other favorites at the moment.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2017 at 9:30 AM Post #1,727 of 1,768
Thinking about it a little more. I don't think either of these Sonys is known for soundstage. Someone else is free to disagree. I would not have thought of them as a gaming headphone either. What about a Fidelio X2? I know many people love that headphone. I do not have one... would be a bit big and heavy for me.

Aug 3, 2017 at 11:55 AM Post #1,728 of 1,768
That's not true. I have a few aftermarket cables, including trrs, that work with the 1a.
Can you please share with us which trrs cables you have? Looking for a trrs cable to 2.5mm trrs to use it with the balanced out of my Pioneer XDP-300R, but it shouldn't break the bank.......

Aug 3, 2017 at 12:00 PM Post #1,729 of 1,768
Thinking about it a little more. I don't think either of these Sonys is known for soundstage. Someone else is free to disagree. I would not have thought of them as a gaming headphone either. What about a Fidelio X2? I know many people love that headphone. I do not have one... would be a bit big and heavy for me.

I own the Fidelio X1 as well, predecessor of the X2 but not much different AFAIK, and the X1 definitely has a better soundstage, but lacks some bass of course. I like them both and each has their own purpose.

Aug 3, 2017 at 12:05 PM Post #1,730 of 1,768
I own the Fidelio X1 as well, predecessor of the X2 but not much different AFAIK, and the X1 definitely has a better soundstage, but lacks some bass of course. I like them both and each has their own purpose.

I was suggesting the x2 to Blazer. I do not need one. I was once interested in the L1 but impossible to find now. I think I might have too many headphones now anyway. Getting a bit off topic for this thread...

Aug 4, 2017 at 6:08 PM Post #1,731 of 1,768
I just finished 2 hours listening on my new chord mojo using fidelio x2 mdr 100aap and senn hd6xx. X2 is the clear winner of sound stage. Miles ahead of the 100aap which are closed cans. X2 and hd6xx are similar in many ways and are better for pure music or sonds like dire straits telegraph road. The 100aap are probably the most under rated cans i have ever heard. They play almost everything great. Taylor swift oasis and soundtracks. I just love them more every time i use them. I also own the 1A and while the 1A feels better comfort wise (not by much) they are a bit too boomy for my taste and the 100aap are on the spot.

Aug 7, 2017 at 1:27 AM Post #1,732 of 1,768
I was suggesting the x2 to Blazer. I do not need one. I was once interested in the L1 but impossible to find now. I think I might have too many headphones now anyway. Getting a bit off topic for this thread...

i already own the X2, and its weight issue just like you mentioned that keeps me from playing games for hours with them( however i still use them for competitive gaming).

im looking at sony headphone because i want something lightweight, comfortable and fun sounding..use it both for casual gaming and perhaps my travels.

according to your post..it seems 1A might be better choice.

Aug 7, 2017 at 2:42 PM Post #1,733 of 1,768
im looking at sony headphone because i want something lightweight, comfortable and fun sounding..use it both for casual gaming and perhaps my travels.

I am so tempted to suggest the Meze 99 Neo ( which I have) or the Meze 99 Classic ( which I have also heard)

My husband has the Classic and I have the Neo. He has just told me the Neo would be better for gaming. I don't game. I love my Neo for music. Check out the threads and Z's new video on the Neo. He loved it for gaming.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2017 at 2:19 PM Post #1,734 of 1,768
i already own the X2, and its weight issue just like you mentioned that keeps me from playing games for hours with them( however i still use them for competitive gaming).

according to your post..it seems 1A might be better choice.
1a are the most comfortable hp i have ever put on my head. Biught them as i wanted sound quality and comfort as i listen during my morning walks after alot of reading this was the best match

Aug 16, 2017 at 1:20 PM Post #1,737 of 1,768
Just wondering if the earpads on these are identical to those on the wireless 100abn, or if the 100abn pads are a tad thicker?

Cheers.

I was at a shop today that had both on display. The wireless one did have a slightly thicker pad and looked slightly larger overall. One hinge on the display 100aap was broken so we had better be careful!

Aug 17, 2017 at 11:01 AM Post #1,738 of 1,768
I was at a shop today that had both on display. The wireless one did have a slightly thicker pad and looked slightly larger overall. One hinge on the display 100aap was broken so we had better be careful!
Thanks. I'll try to exchange the pads in an attempt to make the profile a bit thinner on the head, and perhaps reduce the weight by a few grams.

Aug 17, 2017 at 11:02 AM Post #1,739 of 1,768
Can you please share with us which trrs cables you have? Looking for a trrs cable to 2.5mm trrs to use it with the balanced out of my Pioneer XDP-300R, but it shouldn't break the bank.......
I think actually, in hindsight, that I had to alter the cable plug a little with a knife to make it fit, so you may have been right.

Sep 2, 2017 at 7:10 PM Post #1,740 of 1,768
Just a quick update:

One of the new headphones Sony announced at the 2017 IFA is called the MDR-H600A (as well as the wireless version, the WH-H900N).

The MDR-H600A appears to be identical to the MDR-100AAP in every way, except the MDR-H600A (and WH-H900N) comes in 4 new colors (plus the original Charcoal Black) which match the colors of Sony's new A40 Walkman and XZ1 cellphone.

24febfff581909ef5c01dfd00d317540.jpg

Sony-Xperia-XZ1-mit-WH-H900N-1024x576-0b038afb869d2073.jpg

snew38.jpg

04.jpg

https://www.sony.com/electronics/headband-headphones/mdr-h600a

I'll update the first post and title of this thread to include the new MDR-H600A after more details become available.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back