Sony h.ear on MDR-100AAP - $199 'Hi-Res Audio' Over-Ear Headphones
Nov 8, 2015 at 3:36 PM Post #616 of 1,768
  Thank you for checking that out!  I would've gotten the MDR-1A possibly, but the issue of wind noise really didn't sit well with me

Yeeaaaahhhhh, the wind-noise issue kind of ruined the MDR-1A when it came to actual OUTDOOR use, IMO.  I agree with Dweaver on that.  That being said I still really enjoyed my MDR-1A whenever I was going places. . .waiting for takeout orders in restaurants, sitting in doctors' offices, going grocery shopping, etc.
tongue.gif
  But now I'm happy with the MDR-100AAP because it's better in pretty much every way, INCLUDING being conducive to outdoor use by fixing the wind-noise issue
biggrin.gif

Don't get me wrong.  When it gets truly windy, there is still SOME wind-noise.  It is just VERY MINIMAL, especially compared to the noise that the MDR-1A would get.  Since Dweaver seems to be far more sensitive than me to the issue of the wind-noise (to the point of actually outright RETURNING the MDR-1A), it should be interesting to get his impressions of the 100AAP in that regard.

Btw, the flat cable really isn't too bad, guys.  Sure, it's not as nice as the cables that came with the MDR-1A, but it's a lot nicer than many headphones' stock cables in this price-range, and it is also very tangle-resistant which is quite nice.

Nov 8, 2015 at 3:37 PM Post #617 of 1,768
  When you mentioned that you "cut them down" to fit, was that regarding the diameter or the thickness to which you cut them down?  Thank you!

if you get the smaller Sorbothane sheets with the preinstalled 3M adhesive backing you can try smaller pieces also and fine tune the sound more easily. Some things only need a tiny bit, others need much more

Nov 8, 2015 at 3:41 PM Post #618 of 1,768
Wind noise? Come on, now you guys are giving me something else to think about! I never noticed wind noise on the 1A, but i guess I never listened in a windy environment.

Nov 8, 2015 at 3:42 PM Post #619 of 1,768

if you get the smaller Sorbothane sheets with the preinstalled 3M adhesive backing you can try smaller pieces also and fine tune the sound more easily. Some things only need a tiny bit, others need much more

Good to know.  Thank you

Nov 8, 2015 at 3:46 PM Post #620 of 1,768
  Wind noise? Come on, now you guys are giving me something else to think about! I never noticed wind noise on the 1A, but i guess I never listened in a windy environment.

Other than during the summer, there's a fair amount of wind where I live.  So it's a major concern for me

Nov 8, 2015 at 4:20 PM Post #621 of 1,768
I live in Southern Alberta so wind is always an issue but like Anjolie it is least problematic in the summer. But since these are going to be my H.ear muffs this winter I definitely want something that handles the wind well. Its funny because cold wind actually seems to be worse than warm wind. I have no idea why this is but I have noticed it over the years. Maybe it's because cold wind has a noise all it own whereas warm wind is not as noisy.

Nov 8, 2015 at 5:20 PM Post #622 of 1,768

Do you find that these headphones are good enough to notice a difference between 'iTunes crap' and regular redbook CD quality? My entire collection is 256kbps iTunes files (i.e. I own no CDs). If the quality difference is easily distinguishable on these cans then I'd be tempted to upgrade my collection to FLAC/ALAC.

Yes? Forget iTumes tho.

Find a nice cheap second hand store and raid their CD collection.
I am fortunate I bought into Walkman from Day 0 so I missed out on buying into iTunes crap.

Nov 8, 2015 at 5:35 PM Post #623 of 1,768

Do you find that these headphones are good enough to notice a difference between 'iTunes crap' and regular redbook CD quality? My entire collection is 256kbps iTunes files (i.e. I own no CDs). If the quality difference is easily distinguishable on these cans then I'd be tempted to upgrade my collection to FLAC/ALAC.

Mate, even with extremely high-end headphones, it's not trivial to DBT 128 kbps MP3 and FLAC, not to mention 256 AAC. You'll be fine. The only time you'll notice a difference is when iTunes received a different mastering from CD: however, it's debatable which one's 'better' in quality due to the master. Strictly on formats though, there is a difference, but whether you can hear it or not is another story.

Nov 8, 2015 at 8:45 PM Post #624 of 1,768
  Mate, even with extremely high-end headphones, it's not trivial to DBT 128 kbps MP3 and FLAC, not to mention 256 AAC. You'll be fine. The only time you'll notice a difference is when iTunes received a different mastering from CD: however, it's debatable which one's 'better' in quality due to the master. Strictly on formats though, there is a difference, but whether you can hear it or not is another story.

This guy is right:  You won't be able to tell the difference between 256kbs AAC, or 320kbs Mp3, and lossless FLAC files even on the most high-end gear out there.  Don't believe the hype and myths saying otherwise.

If you DO hear a difference, it is due to the use of different masters, not the formats themselves.  To really test it, try taking some lossless FLAC files and convert them into 256kbs AAC, then do BLIND testing between the original and resulting files and see if you can ever identify a difference.  I guarantee you won't be able to, not even using something like STAX SR-009 headphones from a top-of-the-line DAC and Amp.

Nov 8, 2015 at 9:39 PM Post #625 of 1,768
I beg to differ. When I bought my Pono I accidentally uploaded several MP3 and Flac files of the same songs. The MP3s were made from the FLAC files. I initially did not know how to check which was which. So I listened back and for between the same songs trying to determine which was the mp3 and which was the flac. I jotted down which I thought were which. When I found out how to check the details of the files I went and checked my notes and was accurate about 75% of the time. The areas most noticable were bass and treble. The MP3 files were missing detail at the extreme ends of the sound spectrum. But I will say you have to be in perfect listening conditions going back and forth to hear those differences. So for practical purposes using MP3 files when out and about is more than good enough.

Nov 9, 2015 at 2:08 AM Post #626 of 1,768
I beg to differ. When I bought my Pono I accidentally uploaded several MP3 and Flac files of the same songs. The MP3s were made from the FLAC files. I initially did not know how to check which was which. So I listened back and for between the same songs trying to determine which was the mp3 and which was the flac. I jotted down which I thought were which. When I found out how to check the details of the files I went and checked my notes and was accurate about 75% of the time. The areas most noticable were bass and treble. The MP3 files were missing detail at the extreme ends of the sound spectrum. But I will say you have to be in perfect listening conditions going back and forth to hear those differences. So for practical purposes using MP3 files when out and about is more than good enough.

If you don't mind, could you share one example please?

Nov 9, 2015 at 3:52 AM Post #627 of 1,768
you can easily try some blind tests here: http://www.audiocheck.net/blindtests_16vs8bit.php

On an X2 and E10K I couldn't discern 8 from 16bit 
tongue.gif
 and I have been tested with perfect hearing 1 year ago

Nov 9, 2015 at 3:58 AM Post #629 of 1,768
and also here http://www.npr.org/sections/therecord/2015/06/02/411473508/how-well-can-you-hear-audio-quality

yes uncompressed would be the best, but how much space...

Nov 9, 2015 at 5:12 AM Post #630 of 1,768
How do these compare to the mdr 1r (not 'a') in terms of sound and comfort?

I kind of miss the sound of those headphones and could use a tough pair of headphones for the gym. Don't really like using my pm3's there as they're a bit heavy and the metal finish can get scratched pretty easily.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back