Sony EX71SL problem
Jun 23, 2008 at 11:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

DRuM

500+ Head-Fier
Hi. I just bought a brand new pair of these last week from an independent seller through amazon and received them last wednesday. They were incredibly cheap at £5.99 + £4 for postage. All packaged as new. I've only used them a couple of times and today, the left earbud is practically dead, it's gone so quiet, I can only hear the right bud. It's the same without the extension cord connected, and it's the same whether connected to my ipod, or through my pc. Problem is, I threw everything away. The packaging, the other spare earbud rubbers, and, the guarantee! I own another pair of EX71's which work perfectly and I've had them for at least 2 years. They've had far more volume thrown at them, and there's nothing wrong with them. I was so confident based on those, I didn't think these would develop a fault.

I'll email the seller, but do I have a leg to stand on now, without the guarantee or packaging? Lol, 5 days and they're broken!

Jun 24, 2008 at 5:08 AM Post #2 of 5
Check the screen for earwax.
Try cleaning it with an IEM earwax cleaner and see if the sound comes back.

Jun 26, 2008 at 6:18 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drag0n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Check the screen for earwax.
Try cleaning it with an IEM earwax cleaner and see if the sound comes back.

Yeah, I'd wiped off the metal screen but no difference. Fortunately, the seller very kindly sent me a replacement pair which I received today, so I got lucky!
I could now afford to pull off the metal cover and see if I can clean out the inside.

Question: if I used the sony guarantee that came with the replacement pair and sent the broken earbuds to them, do they look for a serial number on the earbuds? Where would the serial number be?

Jun 26, 2008 at 11:53 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by berniebennybernard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are they fake? Sound's cheap enough to be one.

Not as far as I'm aware. He told me his stock comes from overstocks from the likes of hmv, virgin, game, and so on, and that he had a great deal. So rather than hold out for high prices he sells. I dunno, certainly very, very cheap! Not sure how he makes his profit unless they're actually off the 'back of a lorry' so to speak.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back