Sony EX700: Uninspiring high-end treble performance?
Sep 2, 2008 at 10:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

glenn52679

New Head-Fier
Hello to all Sony ex700 owners. I noticed in a cnet.co.uk review of the said IEM that these lacked the shimmering treble of other IEMs. Yet, this issue was not mentioned in the reviews here in head-fi. What I noticed in the reviews here is that the ex700 is said to have a very harsh treble and that the IEM is very balanced.

I'd just like to ask/clarify the owners their opinion on the treble detail (particularly the high-end) of this IEM. Is cnet saying the truth? What does the harsh treble say about the treble detail? Thanks and really appreciate anyones reply.

Sep 2, 2008 at 11:55 AM Post #2 of 14
"IEM that these lacked the shimmering treble of other IEMs" sounds more like SE530 to my ear than EX700, but I guess the reviewer will probably disagree with me.

This isn't the first time I disagree with Nate Lanxon's reviews, and I can imagine I'll probably keep disagree with most of his reviews in the future.

Sep 3, 2008 at 2:24 AM Post #4 of 14
I would listen to ClieOS who has a fantastic comparison of IEMs in his sig.

The EX700 are definately treble "prominent". There is a huge difference compared to the Klipsch X10 whose treble never once offended me.

Sep 5, 2008 at 6:25 AM Post #5 of 14
Thank you all for the reply. Even though Mr. Lanxon’s opinion on the ex700 is different from your opinions here in head-fi, I think I’m convinced that I expect this IEM to have a “prominent” (or harsh) treble since I also agree with the head-fiers’ opinion on the shure se530 (I was fortunate to audition this IEM recently in my country). I guess I don’t have Mr. Lanxon ears but head-fier’s ears
biggrin.gif

Jul 2, 2009 at 6:35 AM Post #6 of 14
I winder how does the ex700 put up against the ie7. They are both at $300

Jul 2, 2009 at 12:56 PM Post #7 of 14
The old EX700's were bad in that reguard but the brand new EX700LP,s do well, but only after 40 hours break-in. In the magazine reviews I never hear much about a break-in period.

Jul 2, 2009 at 2:45 PM Post #8 of 14
There are new EX700s?

Hmm... As much as I liked the EX700 when I first got them, their tonal balance grew tiring very quickly...

...Not sure I'd want to go back after finding the JVC love... but, stranger things have happened
wink.gif

Jul 2, 2009 at 3:05 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikey01 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The old EX700's were bad in that reguard but the brand new EX700LP,s do well, but only after 40 hours break-in. In the magazine reviews I never hear much about a break-in period.

do you actually mean brand new EX500?

not that they are brand new they came out last year at least as i got mine then

Jul 2, 2009 at 5:02 PM Post #10 of 14
As far as I know there is only one EX700, unless you counted SL and LP as two models

Jul 3, 2009 at 2:44 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
do you actually mean brand new EX500?

not that they are brand new they came out last year at least as i got mine then

No! The EX700LP which I got before the EX500LP's.

Jul 23, 2009 at 9:28 AM Post #13 of 14
The 700 have terrible treble. It adds sibilance to every song I have played with them and there is also a lot of lower treble / upper mid glare. Every time I put them, I needed at least 10 minutes to just feel a bit comfortable with their sound. The bottom end is nice though. On the mid range there is a very nasty coloration, Sony possibly did that on purpose to make them more enjoyable to the untrained ears.

I really hate when companies like sony put more money on the marketing than on the correct design of a new original product. I hope in the end not to end up like Bose.

I lost them one day in the bus and to be honest, I didn't feel bad for that...

Sep 23, 2009 at 7:36 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i dont think there was an old and new ex700. certainly ive never heard of their being so

Are there really old and new ex700lp? Are you referring to the difference between SL and LP?
For LP alone, I know there are two different kinds of packagings - one with clear window where you can see the phones and tips from outside (like this one: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f10/br...earbud-409282/), another that has no window (like this one: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f10/fs...iority-445730/).
Not sure if the packaging reflects any differences in the IEMs themselves.
Also, mine is the one with window in the packaging. So far (not much burn in), I don't hear any sibilance....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back