Sony EX-70 not bad at all!
Mar 13, 2003 at 10:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Moonwalker

100+ Head-Fier
Hi!

Few days ago, I purchased EX70LP (3-tipped). I read all the negative comments here, but I wanted some isolation on the bus rides and subway. I know, many who have Etys will say:'If you heard Etys, you'll throw EX70 right away'. Maybe true, but for low listening levels in the noisy environment , they are far nicer than MX500 or the mighty KSC35.
biggrin.gif

Sure, there's peak around 5 kHz and smaller one at 12 kHz. The bass was too much for me the first day. The mids are too much recesed to be optimal. But after burn-in for several hours, the bass is nice, goes low enough, the mids are the same and the
sharp highs are smother now. Drivers are totally identical! Nice matching in such a small, cheap? phones.

Sure, not my HD600 or MDR-F1, but for the rides in noisy city, there's nothing better for the money I gave for them.

Any opinions? They're welcome!

PS: Comfort is beautiful, and soundstage too! (tiny but precise)

Moonwalker

Mar 13, 2003 at 11:24 AM Post #2 of 18
EX70 provided excellent seal for the price. I don't like the sound though. Less detail (compared with E888) ,narrrow image and liveless midrange. The bass is incredible for the size(again too much). But it's ok after i did a tape mod to reduce bass and the sound improved a bid. Another thing i don't like treble rolls off. But generally speaking, it's definnitely the one to use in noisy environment. I do like the design but wish Sony uses better material for the cord.

Mar 13, 2003 at 3:51 PM Post #3 of 18
I kinda liked how Sony attempted to make a ear canalphone with a minor seal - easy to insert and use. However, the sound quality it has for the MSRP price is not a very good deal. The bass is too boomy and the treble is very peaky. I can only listen to them for like 20 minutes at moderate volume levels. At lower volume levels, the details are muddied to the point I cannot enjoy classical music or new age music with them.

I also wish they designed washable filters or something. Mine died because the pinhole in the paper wall got clogged with my ear wax. I tried removing it but only ended up pushing the ear wax into the inner cavity and making the hole larger by accident. Then the left and right's did not sound the same.

Mar 13, 2003 at 7:48 PM Post #5 of 18
i agree with the original review. i found the ex70 to be quite acceptable to my ears when i tried them out. quite bassy, but sometimes when i'm out and about that can be a good thing. i'll have to try out the mods. they're good for portables and offer a bit of isolation, without the inconvenience and expense of ety's (which i would really only use for sitting in an airplane or sitting in an other crowded, noisy environment, or in the safety of my own home). i might be picking a pair of these up sometime in the near future -- i'd like to do an a/b against my mx500 and see which one i prefer.

Mar 13, 2003 at 9:21 PM Post #6 of 18
Are you guys serious!? The ex70 doesn't even approach the MX500 IMO. They're all bass with a little muffled treble and mids thrown in for good measure. I find them unlistenable when AB'd with an MX500. Not even close. Mine are going up for sale just as soon as I muster the initiative to sell off some of my gear.

Mar 13, 2003 at 9:28 PM Post #7 of 18
That sounds quite plauible to me that the MX-500 would be not THAT different than the Ex-70 in a noisy environment.

I have the Koss "The Plug", which is by most accounts inferior to the EX-70. My asessment of the two? For jogging in the park, the MX-500 blows the Plug away. But in the gym the Plug actually sounds the same. In fact its a bit better because it blocks out the sound of other people, the music blaring over the PA system etc.

I think the key is that in a noisy environment, you don't really get the best out of the MX-500, although its a great earbud. So I can see how the EX-70 would sound as good or better in comparison, when you need to cut out other sounds around you.

Mar 13, 2003 at 10:27 PM Post #8 of 18
I find the EX70s pretty good...

...depending on the source...

I agree that if anything the treble is hidden... and that the bass is overblown, but I do think the mids are kinda nice (not like the E888s though)...

and of course... add in some creative EQ from the E10........
wink.gif

Mar 13, 2003 at 11:03 PM Post #9 of 18
The EX70 kinda [size=large]S
evil_smiley.gif
U
evil_smiley.gif
C
evil_smiley.gif
K
evil_smiley.gif
S
[/size]. Why on ********* earth did I spend full MSRP on that 'phone?
mad.gif

I give a BIG F U to them for the MDR-ED### series and the MDR-VCR@PDJ series, and a SEMI-F.U. to them for that EX70.

Mar 13, 2003 at 11:50 PM Post #10 of 18
Too much bass for my tasted. Lost a lot of detail with these earphones. The little details I hear with my MX500s are now gone. The highs are really sharp. They can play at higher frequenices than the MX500s. I tested this using a cd with samples of different frequencies. These phones sound good on the ipod with the EQ = bass reduction.

YoNni22

Mar 14, 2003 at 1:52 AM Post #11 of 18
the ex70 used to be my favorite earphones. but after i got my D66 eggos, i let them to my friend.
just yesterday, i plugged in my good old ex70 once again. OMG do they sound muddy......

i say if you like them, dont put on anything that cost more than the ex70, you will get your ears spoiled and will never go back to them

Mar 14, 2003 at 4:53 AM Post #12 of 18
The EX70 completely, and utterly beats the MX500, if you are in a bus. It's a simple story: Nothing on the MX500, versus okay noise on the EX70
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally posted by stallion11msu
Are you guys serious!? The ex70 doesn't even approach the MX500 IMO. They're all bass with a little muffled treble and mids thrown in for good measure. I find them unlistenable when AB'd with an MX500. Not even close. Mine are going up for sale just as soon as I muster the initiative to sell off some of my gear.

Mar 14, 2003 at 4:55 AM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by stallion11msu

you need a equalizer (or even just sound1 and sound2) to bring out good sound out of the ex70, once you have set the right setting, they do sound better then mx500

Mar 14, 2003 at 1:23 PM Post #14 of 18
i have a pair of sennheiser mx500 and i was thinking to buy a pair of ex70 because sometimes i need isolation ,i often go on train, subway or bus and i don't want to spend more money than 50 euros (i am from Spain)

They will be used with my sony mz-n1 MD that has a equalizer with 6 positions for treble and 6 postions fro bass.

is the ex70 a goos choice for me?
i know the quality sound is not very good but after burn them, use the equalizer and doing some mod could i obtain a decent sound? near to my mx500?

thanks a lot

Mar 14, 2003 at 2:18 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by ProFingerSk8er
you need a equalizer (or even just sound1 and sound2) to bring out good sound out of the ex70, once you have set the right setting, they do sound better then mx500

But doesn't the same thing apply to MX500, you can use the EQ to make it sound better too, like upping the bass?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back