Sony EGGOs!?
Oct 8, 2005 at 2:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

skybl4ck

100+ Head-Fier
I'm thinking of getting the D66 Eggos off audiocubes, how do these do sound quality wise as compared to the E2c's? They look really awesome, and so far i've only heard good things about them.

Oct 8, 2005 at 2:48 AM Post #2 of 15
MDR-D66SL: The sound is more airy, the highs actually extend (can even be harsh depending on listener and song), overall sound clearer, bass is dramatically less with direct comparison (not a basshead can by default) - many people are turned off immediately by the lack of fun bass (which the e2 does have)

Oct 8, 2005 at 2:57 AM Post #3 of 15
I have a pair of Eggos D66's and have to say they are a great set of cans for it's price. As gshan has mentioned the D66's isn't a bass heavy can, it has just enough. There's also the BowerR64 D66 mod you can perform if you want more bass out of your D66's.

Oct 8, 2005 at 3:41 AM Post #5 of 15
Way better highs for sure, very neutral sounding cans to me. Once you get the bass mod done, the bass will definitely open up. Tight, punching, and somewhat deep bass. Bass mod definitely worth doing on these cans.

Oct 8, 2005 at 4:49 AM Post #6 of 15
I was checking out one of the mods that someone did where they took off the silver cap and made a small hole in what was behind it, how much sound will leak from actually doing this and how much it leak as stock?

Oct 8, 2005 at 5:38 AM Post #7 of 15
Around the same sound leakage, I presume. I've used them in my school library pre-mod and after mod, and no one has yet to complain about them yet.

Oct 8, 2005 at 5:47 AM Post #8 of 15
before:
highs - nice, but sometimes harsh
mids - nice
bass -
frown.gif
audible, and tight, but not fun at all
soundstage - alright

after:
highs - nice and with no harshness
mids - same
bass - nice, but not bass cans, also makes it a lil more muddy
soundstage - same

Oct 8, 2005 at 6:21 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by skybl4ck
Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif
How comfortable are these things to sleep on? Just curious
biggrin.gif

blink.gif

err.... if you dont mind have some oversized half an egg hanging off your ears, you shouldn't have to worry. i haven't tried it yet, just cuz i cant imagine sleeping with them

Oct 9, 2005 at 6:12 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by skybl4ck
Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif
How comfortable are these things to sleep on? Just curious
biggrin.gif

Haven't tried sleeping lying on my side with them on but have slept with them on with my head laying flat. They're very comfortable and I have no problem falling asleep with them on.

Oct 9, 2005 at 6:21 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by warubozu
Have tried sleeping lying on my side with them on but have slept with them on with my head laying flat. They're very comfortable and I have no problem falling asleep with them on.

yeah as long as u sleep with your head laying flat most cans should do aight.

ive slept with my Grado SR80s, my Eggos, my PP's and my new HD201s before. (gives new meaning to the term HEADPHONE WHORE eh? lol). somehow they magically end up beside me when i wake up. i havent rolled over/crushed anything yet.

Oct 9, 2005 at 7:35 PM Post #15 of 15
I had to sign up for the forum just to tell you how amazing the Bower membrane mod is. I snuck into an unlocked lab at school yesterday to get access to a soldering iron so I could perform it on my D66's, and let me tell you, it was very much worth the trouble. I feel like these phones are worth the money I spent on them now, whereas before the mod I thought I had paid the usual Sony premium for the cool design (which, aside from the fuzzy-ish earpads, is about as good as you can get). Sound leakage is only slightly higher, but you'd have to be listening at painful volume for it to bother anyone around you.

So in short, thanks Head-Fi for making me an even bigger fan of my Eggos than I already was.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back