Sony E-DJ01 CDP: external DAC ?
Oct 29, 2008 at 12:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

daniele_g

100+ Head-Fier
I own (well... my wife does) a SONY E-DJ01 Walkman CDP: it's not bad as a travel companion or... bedside rig, but I was wondering about using it as just a transport to be connected to an external DAC with headphone socket.
Is it possible (and worthy) ? How ?

What DAC would you suggest ? I was thinking about the Zero DAC, but any advice is welcome.

I guess a headphone amp is not worthy instead, is it ? I mean, unless I need to use the Sony with high impedance headphones.

thanks, regards
daniele

ps: please forgive my English

Oct 29, 2008 at 6:51 PM Post #2 of 6
The only type of dac you can use will be one with optical in so for that the Zero should be ok (I have never heard it). I have for some time been using various Sony pcdp's optical out to an iBasso D1 dac/amp but have now gone to line-out with a RudiStor-XJ-03 as I prefer the sound of the RudiStor amp. The ideal would be to continue to use the D1 as dac and feed that into the RudiStor but I can't be bothered to travel with 2 boxes and an ac charger as the D1 only runs about 10 hours on a charge where as the RudiStor runs >30 hours on a charge. Will have to see about the size and sound of the upcoming iBasso D10.

Oct 30, 2008 at 7:56 AM Post #3 of 6
nc8000,

thanks for your answer.
I guess the Rudistor is a great amp, but a bit expensive for the use I'd make of the walkman.
So, what about the iBasso ? I mean: does it considerably improve the performance of the Sony ? Is it worthy ?

A device like that (I'm thinking of iBasso, GoVibe Petite and so on) may be preferable to Zero DAC for its... protability, indeed.

thnaks again !

If there's someone else who experienced Sony CD Walkmans with an external DAC (portable or not)... you're welcome.

regards
daniele

Oct 30, 2008 at 11:56 AM Post #4 of 6
Wit the D-EJ1000 and D-NE920 that I use I would say that it is worth it. The optical dac in the D1 is very good and a lot better than the build in dac in either of those players. The amp part of the D1 is ok but clearly bettered by the XJ-03. The upcoming iBasso D10 could be a killer if it maintains the optical dac quality of the D1 and gains the amp quality of something like the D3 all in a box closer in size to the D3 than the D1. It also looks like the D1 can still be had just under a different name Welcome to Audiophilechina I just don't know what the difference is.

Oct 30, 2008 at 1:13 PM Post #5 of 6
nc8000,

thanks again; your post is very interesting and 'pushes' me towards the iBasso.

the iBasso on ebay is very expensive when considering shipping cost, duties enda taxes (I see you're european, so you know what I'm talking about): I roughly estimate that these factors will increase by 30% the cost of the item.

Where can I find informations on the D10 ?

thanks, bye
daniele

Oct 30, 2008 at 6:04 PM Post #6 of 6
According to iBasso the D10 is not likely to surface this side of Christmas but probably early next year. No detailed specs are available yet, only that it will do all the things the D1 did except opamp rolling and it will be in a smaller case, more like the D2/D3.

The original D1 cost about $250 a little over ayear ago as far as I remember and yes the cost (at least in Denmark) goes up by about 30% if it gets caught by customs (mine didn't).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back