SONY DUEL DRIVER Headphone with seatback sub & 5 Channel Amp BBS-10 Body System Freq Resp 15-25,000 Hz / 5-500 Hz ( Secondary vibration drivers )
Nov 29, 2010 at 11:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

WalkmanJohnFL

New Head-Fier
Frequency Response 15-25,000 Hz / 5-500 Hz ( Secondary vibration drivers ) / 20-100 Hz subwoofer

Please scroll to the end of topic for recently added details on the BBS-10 Body System included is a Audio Review of the system.

[size=xx-large]SONY BOODO KHAN BBS-10 Body System   ONE OF 300 MADE[/size]
 ​
Includes : Seatback with woofer, Amp 5 channel, BDR-10 Headphones, 16 Ft. 12 pin cable ( amp to seat back, 4 ft. std. HP jack male/male cable ( connect Walkman to seatback input), 3 ft std. RCA cable ( connect amp to aux. input, have my dvd/tv hooked in here ), Orig. packaging box ( exterior fair condition), Service Manual pdf ( no owner manual).
[size=x-large] THE STORY - WHAT IT IS[/size]
The BBS-10 was mfg. to be sold to only the largest Sony Dealers worldwide in an effort to show the ability of the WM-DD100 DOL extended bass and high frequency boost with added realism of physically felt bass to body and head.   What was lacking for anyone listening to a Walkman on headphones was the real deep bass punch and physical vibration a live concert produces upon our body.  The Sony BBS-10 probably was one of the very first stereo chair type products made.   It consists of a Cushioned seat back you sit against while in a chair or couch.  It has all the controls on side ( see photos) to adjust output of the 8.2 inch sub woofer in seat back and also the unique ONE OF A KIND HEADPHONES BDR-10 which have Frequency Response 15-25,000 Hz PLUS low frequency vibration unit ( physically produces Vibration to head) Frequency Response 5-500 Hz (one each side of headphone).   This combination headphone and sub-woofer seat back produces the most real music experience from any Walkman or ANY INPUT ( has line in input also).  It is a unique sonic experience different from any I have felt. Note I have a stereo system with 3 large amplifiers ( 1400 Watts/Channel total) including a Hafler 500 watt per channel front speaker amp and clearly understand the state of very high fidelity sound experience.  The BBS-10 is in that category.

I am honored to present to the collecting world what I consider my most valuable combination: The rare Boxed WM-DD100 Boodo Khan Walkman and INFINITELY RARE Sony factory promotional accessory ( 300 made sold to dealerships only as demonstration equipment showcasing ability of the Boodo Khan DD100 a simple cassette player to reproduce true live Rock Concert level impact sound).    I have waited years to find a suitable Mint Boxed candidate DD100 to match my NIB never used Sony BBS10 Body System ( purchased from Original Chicago dealer showing shipping label to very same dealer from Sony).   Sound of the DD100 is impressive but not a Sony WM-DC2 or WM-DD9 ( FINEST professional Walkman made twin direct drive motors 20-20,000 response) but a superbly sounding player when set up right as mine has been.  The Dynamic Optimum Loudness ( DOL ) is unique that it adds bass without overdoing it AND extends upper frequency tastefully.   WELL DONE SONY !   These two items together truly offer one of the finest sound experiences one can experience from a portable cassette Walkman !!! ( Well running the DD9 into the BBS10 with a SEQ-50 5 Band EQ is sonic NIRVANA). Also note the BBS-10 has RCA level inputs so any source can be used such as cd, turntable, tape deck, tuner, dvd for movies. I am enjoying my DD100 with DOL turned on with recently made tape ( on THAT's SUANO) on WM-D6C of Ambient music as I type this   :fun:  :wave:

PLEASE see my topic on the BBS10 Sony Body System for much more detail including specs about this item.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/383259/sony-boodo-khan-body-system-w-ultra-rare-duel-headphone-bdr-10

SONY BOODO KHAN WM-DD100 and Boodo Khan BBS-10 Body System 

SONY WM-DD100 matching Boodo Khan Walkman  with full size headphones Dr-S100

2m4uknk.jpg

2wnskzq.jpg

2v8s6pv.jpg

2n8sjk2.jpg

313k6xd.jpg

20fvt6a.jpg

710bci.jpg

29xutko.jpg

2upvfon.jpg

6jk234.jpg

2qtwras.jpg

n9tf5.jpg

With ultra rare TEAC Open real cassette

2lctjq1.jpg

s31uhh.jpg

30ccbra.jpg

zmk45k.jpg

iee0yf.jpg

n54r5e.jpg

Nov 29, 2010 at 11:35 PM Post #2 of 14
Here you can view the BBS-10 component system.  Note it has input from HP output of any Walkman, CD or GASP   :jawdrop: IPOD AND on Amplifier RCA inputs/Outputs to accept my Turntable or best of all Sound from DVD player. Beyond amazing to listen to action adventure or Science Fiction movies with this system.  First time a Bomb went of on the TV screen made me JUMP from the fierce POUNDing the seat woofer is capable of.  Best of all I can listen at volume and not bother anyone else in the home !

SONY BOODO KHAN BBS-10 BODY SYSTEM

rwl6yf.jpg

4llu9z.jpg

Controls Master Volume, Individual level adjustment for Woofer , Low freq. Driver in Headphone, Headphone speakers and DOL same as on DD100 recreate live concert effects, Note very complex multi pin cord to connect AMP to seat back.

1zl3s0i.jpg

BDR-10
el5qae.jpg

3539u94.jpg

se2lx5.jpg

POWERFUL 5 Channel Amplifier !!

8w00ux.jpg

2wqhc9d.jpg

30vy9mg.jpg

Original Advertising very few systems made it outside of Japan

rwv1vc.jpg

34nrzwp.jpg

:coolphotos:
  :wow:

Nov 29, 2010 at 11:37 PM Post #3 of 14
This topic would not be complete without clearing the confusion sometimes about the BOODO KHAN name and Concert Hall. NOTATION the DD100 spelling is phonetically correct but NOT spelled in manner the actual concert hall is BUDOKAN.   From Wikipedia much of following.

The Nippon Budokan (日本武道館, Nippon Budōkan?), often shortened to just Budokan, is an arena in central Tokyo, Japan.

For many Westerners, the Budokan is synonymous with large-scale rock concerts. It was here that The Beatles made their Japanese debut[1] and the location where many "Live at the Budokan" albums were recorded such as CHEAP TRICK Live at BUDOKAN.

The Nippon Budokan, however, was originally built for the judo competition in the 1964 Summer Olympics, hence its name, rendered in English as Martial Arts Hall.

2m30lmw.jpg

http://i54.tinypic.com/2q313sj.png

Nov 29, 2010 at 11:42 PM Post #4 of 14
Specifications from Service Manual   BBS-10 System
Full Range Unit / Vibration Unit
Headphones Closed , dynamic
Driver Unit Diameter 40mm,dome type/ 25mm base
Sensitivity 106 mW
Frequency Response 15-25,000 Hz /   5-500 Hz ( Secondary vibration driver )
Rated power input 100 mW / 500 mW
Power handling cap. 500 mW / 1,000 mW
Input plug Dual Type
Weight 360 g (13 oz)

BODY WOOFER
Spearker unit 205mmx205mm(8 1/8x8 1/8in)
Freq. Response 20-100 Hz
Weight 7.6kg ( 16 lb 13 oz)

POWER AMPLIFIER
Power Req. 120V 60Hz
Power Consumption 25 W
Inputs Lin In 47 Kohm
Line OUt 4.7kohm
Weight 5 lb 12 oz

Nov 29, 2010 at 11:58 PM Post #5 of 14
My current collection of Cassette Walkman from 79 to 2002 now stands at 378 players !  A different source for each day of the year.  Showing smaller showcase holding 100 Walkman.  Plus over 100 headphones /earbuds original to Walkman plus Sony MDR-V6 (note JAPAN mfg. early model).    For some colorful HEADPHONE fun the Sony WM-FS1 sports model came with a set of Sony EGGO headphones MDR-11.  I believe there were 7 models of the EGGO cans made.     Must admit I have not had the guts to appear walking out in publc with the NEON GREEN cans on.

Nov 30, 2010 at 12:41 AM Post #6 of 14
A great forum for portable older technology CASSETTE WALKMAN and Boomboxes please join our WWW.STEREO2GO.COM forum.  

I am JohnEdward on the Forum

http://www.stereo2go.com

Jul 3, 2012 at 11:55 AM Post #8 of 14

I have recently learned more about the history of this unique system.  I have also included a review of its performance.

[size=x-large]SONY BOODO KHAN BBS-10 Body System   ONE OF 300 MADE[/size]
 ​
Includes : Seatback with woofer, Amp 5 channel, BDR-10 Headphones, 16 Ft. 12 pin cable ( amp to seat back, 4 ft. std. HP jack male/male cable ( connect Walkman to seatback input), 3 ft std. RCA cable ( connect amp to aux. input, have my dvd/tv hooked in here ), Orig. packaging box ( exterior fair condition), Service Manual pdf ( no owner manual).
[size=large] THE STORY - WHAT IT IS[/size]
The BBS-10 was mfg. to be sold to only the largest Sony Dealers worldwide in an effort to show the ability of the WM-DD100 DOL extended bass and high frequency boost with added realism of physically felt bass to body and head.   What was lacking for anyone listening to a Walkman on headphones was the real deep bass punch and physical vibration a live concert produces upon our body.  The Sony BBS-10 probably was one of the very first stereo chair type products made.   It consists of a Cushioned seat back you sit against while in a chair or couch.  It has all the controls on side ( see photos) to adjust output of the 8.2 inch sub woofer in seat back and also the unique ONE OF A KIND HEADPHONES BDR-10 which have Frequency Response 15-25,000 Hz PLUS low frequency vibration unit ( physically produces Vibration to head) Frequency Response 5-500 Hz (one each side of headphone).   This combination headphone and sub-woofer seat back produces the most real music experience from any Walkman or ANY INPUT ( has line in input also).  It is a unique sonic experience different from any I have felt. Note I have a stereo system with 3 large amplifiers ( 1400 Watts/Channel total) including a Hafler 500 watt per channel front speaker amp and clearly understand the state of very high fidelity sound experience.  The BBS-10 is in that category.

[size=large]THE CONTROLS on BBS-10 Seat back are:[/size]
On/Off
Master Volume 0-10 scale ( controls seatback woofer, headphone and vibration headphone unit)
Headphone speaker Level ( 0-10 )
Boodo Vibration Unit Headphone Level ( 0-10 )
Woofer Level Seatback ( 0-10 )
DOL ( Dynamic Optimum Loudness ) Level ( 0-10 ) Extends Bass and High Freq. response like DD100
Inputs – Headphone from Walkman HP output jack AND LINE IN like from the DC2 or D6C.  There is a Function Switch to control Inputs.

From my research I believe less than 300 of these Sony BBS-10 systems were sold worldwide.  They were ONLY available to dealers worldwide and research shows a few units were available to the Japanese public for Y 79,800 YEN in 1986 !!!  The retail selling price in 1986 for the WM-DD100 Boodo Khan Walkman was Y 38,000 YEN thus you can see the BBS-10 sold for over TWICE the cost of the expensive DD100.   One would guess that there are less than 30 working BBS-10 systems in existence 26 years later!  Making this probably the RAREST COLLECTABLE in WALKMAN HISTORY.  Certainly the most unique.

[size=medium]ACTUAL PAST HISTORY OF THIS UNIT[/size]

I purchased this many years ago from a large stereo family owned retail store in Chicago ILL.  It was found lost in the warehouse in unused condition.  Owner of store stated he remembered getting the unit trying it out and decided it was too difficult to keep out on the showroom floor for customers to abuse.  It was put back in box and lost in the warehouse past 20 years until I purchased it. The box is in fair but intact condition including the original label with name of store from Sony Corporation of USA Carson CA. USA.  The current name of store I purchased this from is MIDWESTSTEREO on ebay here is their website
http://www.midweststereo.com   The original name of store was Belmont Gifts and Camera which is name on shipping label of box with same address on label as the store now currently still is located.  In the USA and Europe they were sold only to large stereo retail stores but in Japan a few units were sold to the public it appears.  I can tell you listening to music with this system is unlike any experience you have had.  To have the powerful woofer right behind you then the superior quality drivers in headphones with added vibration unit in each headphone side that actually vibrates your head for certain low to mid low tones is astounding to experience.  Actually have used system at times when person dating was on my computer ( Desk shared in my private den off bedroom that has my movie theater in it) and I wanted to watch a movie without having any sound on to bother person on computer or in bed.  Yet I can enjoy the full sonic performance from DVD movies or my stereo or a walkman with this system.  It has RCA inputs on the amplifier ( also std. headphone jack on seatback for walkman connection switchable line in or headphone output from walkman) to accept input from any CD, MD, DAT, DCC, DVD, Blue Ray, tape deck or record player.

REVIEW  LISTENING IMPRESSIONS BBS-10

[size=11.0pt] I can tell you listening to music with this system is unlike any experience you have had.  To have the powerful woofer right behind you then the higher quality drivers in headphones with added vibration unit in each headphone side that actually vibrates your head for certain low to mid low tones is astounding to experience. The headphones with the BOODO vibration drivers set a min. thus listening to just the standard cans the bass is fairly deep, clean with definition even to kettle drums.  The mids create a nice sound stage presence with a slight touch of lack of brilliant definition.  The high end has a crisp edge to it with clear sharp chimes and cymbals.  Roll off is slight.  I have always been surprised at the actual quality of the headphones and when you crank in the low frequency vibration units it adds a unique almost out of this world experience.  Even though in real life at rock concert you may not feel the bass so much to head/temple area one must say the sometimes slightly unreal off world listening experiences are simply wonderful as a new dimension in listening.  A note on the headphone vibration drivers they generally prefer and sound/feel better with conservative judicious use of the level settings say 30 to 65%. Also the input signal should always be FLAT at first listening and adjustment until you have found level settings wanted then carefully tweek source signal.  DO NOT push the bass into this system.  The DOL level adj. boosts low freq. and high and rolls off the boost as main vol. is raised thus avoiding over driving sub/headphones to a point although set at higher over all vol. levels depending on source music drivers can be over driven so be careful here.  If have good source no need to trust me.  Actually have used system at times when person dating was on my computer ( Desk shared in my private den off bedroom that has my movie theater/sound system in it) and I wanted to watch a movie without having any sound on to bother person on computer or in bed.  Yet I can enjoy the full sonic performance from DVD movies or my stereo or a Walkman with this system.  It has RCA inputs on the amplifier ( also std. headphone jack on seat back for Walkman connection switchable line in or headphone high level output from Walkman or IPOD) to accept input from any CD, MD, DAT, DCC, DVD, Blue Ray, tape deck or record player.[/size]  If interested in additional information /system please contact me by PM.

Oct 14, 2022 at 2:55 PM Post #13 of 14
How in the world were you able to score one of these?!?

May I call dibs if you ever think of selling possibly?

Thanks!
My boss has had it since new. Still in the box. He won it from Lincoln back in the 80s.
Wow!! That's funny as my name is Lincoln.

That's an awesome find. Couldn't imagine how happy I'd be to find one of those.
He said he wants to sell it. I'm trying to convince him to give it to me though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back