Sony Discman: D-25S vs D-25?
Jul 8, 2005 at 3:59 PM Post #16 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by insomniac
And congratulations to wwmidia, a head-fi'er, on the score. I know he was looking for one of these. I hope the seller was honest and you got a good one. I know I had a hell of a time finding a good one. Ones I purchased as "in perfect working order" often exhibited various problems, ranging from annoying to plain broken.

thx
but it looks like I need to turn back to you again...
etysmile.gif

holy cow how could I laugh out?

Jul 9, 2005 at 9:24 AM Post #17 of 18
Khampi sent me back a modded D25 last week (Toro bull mod). That's the mod you have to do if you want deep bass and large soundstage on D25.
First I'd liked this player for the real living sound and the preciseness in the high frequencies. But something was bad to my ears as far as bass were concerned (too thin, not ddep enough).
I sent the D25 to Khampi in Wisconsin. He doesn't take much money for this, let's see what he answers to me when I ask about his famous mod:

"> > I can replace the op-amp with a OPA2134 or OPA2604. I also will
> > change the cap on the power supply to a tantalum capacitor instead
> > of an electrolytic. You choose. I prefer the OPA2604. The cost for
> > shipping, parts and labor is $25 for the 2134 and $30 for the 2604.
> > The shipping cost is $10.00 via global priority mail."
($10.00 is for shipping France-USA)

I chose the OPA264 and don't regret it: Sound is now fantastic on D25.

About Headphones out: With a koss porta pro, I can't listen to this player above 4th graduation ! With my Grado: not above 5 ! It is LOUD ! I hear every kind of music, but I have to say that the mod is essential for those who loves reggae, drum'n'bass, r'n'b, techno stuff, house music...etc. If you love the Kick, make the mod.

Khampi is here: ksaga@cox.net

Jul 11, 2005 at 5:09 PM Post #18 of 18
I own a toro bull modded D-25s and would agree that it is an improvement over the stock unit. Bass has more slam and is faster than the stock D-25 and it also does have a slightly wider soundstage. Another mod to the D-25 would be Mekanoplastic's D-25 Turbo mod which incorporates dual DACs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back