Sony Discman: D-25S vs D-25?
Jul 7, 2005 at 9:52 AM Post #2 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by a529612
What's the difference between these 2 units? Is the sound better or worse than my Optimus 3400? Thanks!

The D-25 (or D-250) is black, the D-25S (or D-250S) is champaign in color. That's all the difference. If you have either and want the other you may just buy a defective unit and swap cases. Which is really fun, because you get to see the enourmous amount of tech inside this little gem.

Jul 7, 2005 at 2:50 PM Post #4 of 18
I actually prefer the sound of the D-25/S over the D-555. I know some people aren't too thrilled about the sound of the D-25 here but it's one of my favorite vintage PCDP's, and I've tried many...

Jul 7, 2005 at 3:39 PM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by insomniac
I actually prefer the sound of the D-25/S over the D-555. I know some people aren't too thrilled about the sound of the D-25 here but it's one of my favorite vintage PCDP's, and I've tried many...

Interesting. What areas do you prefer D-25 over D-555? What types of music do you listen to and with what phones? I'm in the market for either a D-25, D-555 or D-5 and need to make up my mind. Does the D-25 really offer 300B tube like sound as this reviewer suggested? Thanks!

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazin...stportable.htm

Jul 7, 2005 at 3:44 PM Post #6 of 18
It's hard to compare the D-5 to the other two. The D-5 is a tank! If you're looking for sheer power, the D-5 absolutely blows the other two away. The headphone out can get dangerously loud and the line out has the juice of a home deck. I haven't listened to the D-5 critically enough to comment on sound quality but my initial impressions were that it was better than the more portable and later units.

I listen to a wide variety of music ranging from classical to hip hop. I find the D-25 to be much punchier and livelier than the D-555. The D-555 to me is a little too polite at times.

Jul 7, 2005 at 4:25 PM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by SptsNaz
Speaking of the D-555, can someone please explain this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

Wow, the price just fell off the cliff. It used to trade around $1400 3 hrs ago. Screaming buy!!
biggrin.gif

Jul 7, 2005 at 5:00 PM Post #9 of 18
Clearly, there were a lot of shenanigans going on with that auction, and not of the wholesome kind. It was never going to go at $1400 of course. Hopefully the seller was not involved in any of it and there is a satisfactory conclusion for both the seller and high bidder.

Things seem to be back on track, although it's on the high side of normal prices.

Jul 7, 2005 at 5:06 PM Post #10 of 18
And congratulations to wwmidia, a head-fi'er, on the score. I know he was looking for one of these. I hope the seller was honest and you got a good one. I know I had a hell of a time finding a good one. Ones I purchased as "in perfect working order" often exhibited various problems, ranging from annoying to plain broken.

Jul 7, 2005 at 5:37 PM Post #11 of 18
The difference between the D-25s and the D-25 besides it's color is that the D-25s has a bit more headroom than the D-25. Other than that they both sound identical. The D-25 doesn't offer a 300B tube like sound to my ears, far from it and it doesn't have dual DACs like the D-555. The D-25/25s offers a upfront sound with a tight bass and lot of slam. The mids out of the D-25/25s sounds nice to my ears but there are other vintage Sony PCDPs that offer a more tube like/warm sound than the D-25/25 like the D-777, D-465, D-321, D-515.

I would agree with insomniac and prefer the D-25/25s over the D-555 (even though I own 2 D-555's). D-555 to my ears sounds flat and thin in the mids with hardly any bass unless I play with it graphic equalizer. Even after adjusting it's EQ, the sound out of the D-555 to my ears still isn't on par with the D-25. The D-555 in the Ebay link posted above was at a way overpriced high before the seller canceled several high bids due to zero feedback and non verified Ebayers on his auction and one of them having second thoughts about placing his high bid. My guess is that the high bidders who put in those high bids ($1400 up to $2500) is due to reading the the hype generated by some over the D-555. Congrats again to wwmidia on taking the win on this one as he as been searching for a D-555 for quite some time.

D-5 is Sony first discman introuduced in 1984 and paved the way for all other manufacturers of PCDPs. It has a powerful headphone/lineout and can get loud pretty quick. It has a lot of slam with a decent soundstage and mids that isn't overpowered out by it's bass. It has been reported by some that the D-5 can drive actually high impedence cans straight out from the headphone out less amp.

Jul 7, 2005 at 5:59 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by warubozu
D-5 is Sony first discman introuduced in 1984 and paved the way for all other manufacturers of PCDPs. It has a powerful headphone/lineout and can get loud pretty quick. It has a lot of slam with a decent soundstage and mids that isn't overpowered out by it's bass. It has been reported by some that the D-5 can drive actually high impedence cans straight out from the headphone out less amp.

But is D-5 as refined as D-25 and D-555? The reviewer above said it sounds horrible and only collectors should buy it.

Jul 7, 2005 at 6:06 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by a529612
But is D-5 as refined as D-25 and D-555? The reviewer above said it sounds horrible and only collectors should buy it.

The D-5 isn't as refined as the other two, like I said before it has an upfront sound to it. The D-5 is by no means a horrible PCDP. If your seeking a PCDP with more detail and soundstage that has a powerful headphone out, then the D-25 is the best of the three as the D-555 isn't any better IMO.

Jul 8, 2005 at 6:57 AM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by warubozu
The D-5 isn't as refined as the other two, like I said before it has an upfront sound to it. The D-5 is by no means a horrible PCDP. If your seeking a PCDP with more detail and soundstage that has a powerful headphone out, then the D-25 is the best of the three as the D-555 isn't any better IMO.

interesting...since i find the d-5 to sound more lively than my d-25s. the d-25s sounds too laidback but i'll have to compare again tomorrow.

Jul 8, 2005 at 7:18 AM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by fureshi
interesting...since i find the d-5 to sound more lively than my d-25s. the d-25s sounds too laidback but i'll have to compare again tomorrow.

Agreed, the D-5 does seem to have a slightly more powerful headphone out than the D-25, I'd be interested in hearing your impressions between the two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back