Sony D66 eggo mod, kinda cool with pictures
Mar 29, 2005 at 6:44 AM Post #16 of 29
I would check out these posts:

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=113171

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=113177

They both talk about the other mod in this thread. It involves taking off the silver cap on the back of the headphone, and making a hole in the clear membrane. I would not do it the way Bower origionally did (opening the headphone casing all the way up), you can access it much easier if you just take off the silver circle. This will allow air to move in and out behind the driver, making the bass more full.

The tissue mod will mainly just tone down the highs, and make the headphones less harsh (even though I don't find them harsh to begin with).

Mar 29, 2005 at 8:54 AM Post #17 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gouki
Hi, I followed the instructions above. Instead of kleenex, I used the McDonald tissue (which is a little harder than kleenex). I cut out a 2 ply circle in the tissue and inserted into the space where the driver usually goes.

I didn't really notice much of a different, nor did I get the kind of bass that you were talking about. Is it because of the tissue paper that I used? Please advice!

The tissue mod i did was to smooth out the highs when they are stock. IMO the highs were a little harsh so i put a little filter to muffle the highs a little. After i did the bass mod i wound up removing the tissue.

I think they sound the best with just the bass mod.

Mar 29, 2005 at 9:01 AM Post #18 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tekron
I performed this mod and it works noticably well.

Quick question though:

Would making the hole bigger in the plastic membrane produce even more bass? I would like it if it does...
580smile.gif

Right now the hole I made is almost the size of a pea. Thanks.

IMO the best bass sound is with a small hole, the first set i had i put a hole the size of a pea and its sounded good the second set i put a smaller hole and they didnt seem to have as much bass so i made it a little bigger and they seem to match the first set. The third set of D66 i got from some one on this site, they pulle the whole membrane thing out and they didnt sound as full so i covered the hole with tape and just put a small hole in the tape with a hole punch. They sound the same now.

So IMO the best sound is a hole about the size of a pea, or a hole punch hole about that size. size of a pencil, its just like a little bass port on a speaker cabnet is the way i see it.

Mar 29, 2005 at 9:03 AM Post #19 of 29
If some one has a pair they are going to mod, do a quick test before you do it. Mod one side and then listen to each ear and see if the mod makes them more noisy or lets to much sound out.

Seems some people dont want to do this mod because they feel it will leak to much sound out. I dont seem to notice them being any louder then they are stock.

Mar 30, 2005 at 1:36 AM Post #20 of 29
Thanks for the feedback.

How do I get the silver cap off the back of the phones? It feels quite difficult to get them off.

Ok got them off.

Its a little difficult to get it off, have to be careful because there's only 2 plastic hooks to connect it back to the phones.

Apr 1, 2005 at 3:37 PM Post #21 of 29
I just did the bass mod, and I could notice any difference in sound leakage...
If there is one it's hardly noticable...

Havent listened much to the bassmod eggos, but so far it sounds great!

Apr 1, 2005 at 5:20 PM Post #22 of 29
Strange, I just did this mod and I can't notice any increase in bass! The treble just seems to sound harsher and the mid-bass is recessed making it seem as if you're getting deeper bass. Also the sound leakage is virtually the same, maybe a bit more but not much. I'm not sure if I did it wrong (followed all instructions carefully), but I thought the mod made the bass a bit loose and distant. I just covered the holes with clear tape to reverse the mod.

Aug 12, 2005 at 5:54 AM Post #25 of 29
I used these 2 computer microphone replacement elements from radio shack. Played the white noise track on a break in CD some one posted when i first joined. Into my computer threw a graph program i also found on this forum some one posted.

I kinda quit my hobby with headphones because i found what i was looking for (more eggos) so my headphone quest is over. It was a hell of alot of fun though. I still have 3 boxs of headphones laying around.

Aug 15, 2005 at 4:33 AM Post #26 of 29
K, just to clarify, you only need to use a soldering iron to melt the clear thing that covers the area under the silver cap? I want to do this mod, but I don't know if you need to make a hole that goes right thru the white cloth covering on the other side, behind the foam covering.

Oct 1, 2005 at 10:54 PM Post #27 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by azncookiecutter
K, just to clarify, you only need to use a soldering iron to melt the clear thing that covers the area under the silver cap? I want to do this mod, but I don't know if you need to make a hole that goes right thru the white cloth covering on the other side, behind the foam covering.

up because i want to know this too

Oct 2, 2005 at 2:53 AM Post #28 of 29
Time to answer my own question.
biggrin.gif

Yes, you only need to melt the clear plasticky thing, not all the way through. Also, make sure you get the soldering iron hot enough, and you make the hole as clean and as fast as possible, or the plastic will start trailing the exit wound like cheese on a pizza.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back