Sony D555 headphone jack problem
Apr 2, 2002 at 8:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Jasper

New Head-Fier
Hi. My name is Jasper and this is my first post here at Head-Fi. I tried to prevent myself from registering because I knew I'd get sucked in to the endless cycle of headphone buying ... but I failed. So it goes.

Anyway, I have a problem with the headphone out on my D555. It seems as though the jack is putting out the maximum volume possible (as if the volume were turned all the way up). Changing the volume does nothing to lower the amount of sound coming out of the jack. This problem happens from time to time.

Is this a problem I can fix myself, or should I trust Sony to do the job? By the way, the bass boost also seems to be blown (it sounds distorted).

Any replies would be greatly appreciated. I'd hate to bury away my D555 somewhere because it sounds so good. Thanks for your time.

-Jasper

Apr 2, 2002 at 9:06 PM Post #2 of 6
Hi Jasper, Welcome to Head-Fi...

I'm guessing that the D555 volume control is analoge (rotary)... if so, this little trick worked with my D777... get a blunt knife, stick it under the volume 'wheel' and prise it up ONLY SLIGHTLY WITH VIRTUALLY NO PRESSURE move the volume control around from begining to end, and do the same all the way around - see if that helps...

If you don't feel that brave, buy some spray on contact cleaner, and squirt it into the volume control... and, either way all should be well...

As to the bass boost - if the sound is always maxed out, the bass boost WILL sound bad... once we've cured your volume problem, all should be well
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks

Apr 2, 2002 at 9:56 PM Post #3 of 6
Thanks for your reply, Duncan.

Unfortunately, the volume on the D555 is controlled by buttons. I'm not sure if this means that the volume control is digital, but that's besides the point. I'm convinced that the problem is internal, as nothing I press or plug or unplug makes a difference.

As for the bass boost, it distorts even when the volume control is working fine. The EQ, surround and DDS settings do not distort.

Thanks for your help Duncan ... I guess I'm really stuck.

Apr 2, 2002 at 10:01 PM Post #4 of 6
hi jasper,

welcome to head-fi (sorry about your wallet)
sorry to hear about your problems with the D-555. It is supposed to be a fine portable cd player. Because the player is rather old, this doesn't entirely surprise me. I think the 555 is pretty much entirely digital, and it sounds like there is some kind of loose connection to me, though I don't really know much about this stuff at all. My hypothesis though is that any sort of person who knows about electronics should be able to open the thing up and detect the problem fairly easily though if this is the case. If not... well, maybe sony could fix it, though that would probably cost an arm and a leg.

Good luck,
Driftwood

Apr 6, 2002 at 11:42 PM Post #5 of 6
Jasper...Please check your user cp for a private message!!!

Dec 26, 2011 at 1:53 PM Post #6 of 6
Just purchased a D-555 which was supposed to be in working order.  Well, it is in working order, but the volume control seems to be on the fritz.  Very low volume when I plug in my headphones.  I see that Jasper had the same issue.  Just wondering if him, or anyone else has had this problem, and either fixed it, or had it fixed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back