Sony D-555 owners, please help.
Dec 16, 2002 at 7:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Nomi

New Head-Fier
Hi, I just received a D-555, everything seem to be in good order, except the AC adapter has few knots and a replaced connection tip. I put in a CD and immediately notice the right channel is much louder, the vocal and bass is on the wrong side of the channel(they should be a little to the left of center). I check the line out and the sound there is fine. I continue to try few more CDs and the results are the same. Are your D-555 like that, they vocal and bass lean more on the right channel? I think there is something wrong with my D-555. How could this be possibe. Is there any thing I can do to fix the problem. Will it cost alot to fix it. Thanks for any idea or suggestion.

Dec 16, 2002 at 11:08 PM Post #2 of 9
"I think there is something wrong with my D-555"
Yes it is, I have D-555 and plays just fine.

"How could this be possible"
Headphone socket is common problem in this model.

"Is there any thing I can do to fix the problem"
Check the pickup, headphone out. You can try Sony service but some of them can do more damage that already there.

"Will it cost a lot to fix it"
You don't wont to know HOW MUCH...

Dec 17, 2002 at 1:30 AM Post #3 of 9
Thanks for your reply martioz.

Is the headphone socket problem due to excessive usage or just a defective headphone socket.

So, I should only use Sony Service Center not Sony Authorized Service Centers which are individually operate.

It almost gave me a heart attack. $99 Flat Rate Program, plus shipping and tax. Will Sony recondition the whole discman while they are add it.

Dec 17, 2002 at 5:04 AM Post #5 of 9
That's great price, how did you do it? I don't think Sony in MA will be that generous, they would at least charge a $26 diagnostic fee, plus parts and labor. I'll probably take it in for service in person. I don't want the D-555 to be lost. I hope they don't use the Flat Rate like online.

Dec 17, 2002 at 5:32 AM Post #6 of 9
Nomi..

before you pay......i like to let you know that replacing the plug is very easy, i am sure you can do it.. it will take 5 minutes at most, finding another gold platted plug is a different story...if you decide to replace it let me know i can send you a standard sony new plug(same part..no gold) i got from a dead d-25s it will fit perfect..or you can simply swap the broken one for the remote connector (i assume it will be as new..)and put it on the headphone out, it will look stock and cost you nothing.....

good luck

m.

Dec 17, 2002 at 6:15 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by mekanoplastik
Nomi..

before you pay......i like to let you know that replacing the plug is very easy, i am sure you can do it.. it will take 5 minutes at most, finding another gold platted plug is a different story...if you decide to replace it let me know i can send you a standard sony new plug(same part..no gold) i got from a dead d-25s it will fit perfect..or you can simply swap the broken one for the remote connector (i assume it will be as new..)and put it on the headphone out, it will look stock and cost you nothing.....

good luck

m.

Thanks, good idea. If it does not cost like $7 to fix it, then I 'll try to get the gold plated plug and do it myself. If I need some silver plug, I will know who to ask. It does seem easy to take the front panel off with the way it was designed.

I still don't understand why the sound shifted. Is it because the some parts inside of the headphone socket wore out and don't make good connection with the headphone jack?

Dec 17, 2002 at 9:06 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by Nomi
That's great price, how did you do it?

Sony may have just charged me for the price of the jack with no labor, since the parts needed to fix my D-515 (2 motors, laser pickup assembly) are no longer available. I don't know what they normally charge for repairing a jack, as I've never sent them anything to repair other than the D-515.

Dec 17, 2002 at 9:22 PM Post #9 of 9
Swapping socket with remote is as bed as swapping with line out.
All have different colours, and same age.
And at the end your unit is not fully functional anyway.
I have noticed that the problem with a socket is due to contact material.
I have old D-2 with malfunctioning line out I am keen to replace it but to be honest finding supplier who is happy to sell you below 100+ is a pain in a butt. Recently I have notice that Switchcraft has similar socket in black
frown.gif

Headphone socket for D-555 is not SMT, if you want to change it pay attention and do not overheat area around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back