Sony d-25 battery discontinued?!
Jan 11, 2003 at 7:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

panman

New Head-Fier
Has anyone ordered a BP2EX battery for the Sony d-25 discman from their parts and accessories division recently? I just tried to do that today, and they told me that the part is sold out and they have no plans to produce any more
frown.gif

Does anyone know of any other sources for these batteries? Or was the person at sony mistaken?

Thanks!

Jan 11, 2003 at 11:51 AM Post #2 of 12
I think, remembering from past discussions... that there is a place in the UK that still stocks the batteries...

I think the bad part there though, was that they didn't shop overseas
frown.gif

I wonder if RadioShack or anyone makes an equivilant battery?

Jan 11, 2003 at 2:00 PM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by Duncan
I think, remembering from past discussions... that there is a place in the UK that still stocks the batteries...

I think the bad part there though, was that they didn't shop overseas
frown.gif

I wonder if RadioShack or anyone makes an equivilant battery?

Not as of last week. I was looking in Rat Shack for that. Also looking for Sony BP-5 battery, with no luck. I suspect that the adapter that lets 2 AA's sub for the BP-2ES in some units is going to see more use
tongue.gif

Jan 12, 2003 at 4:20 PM Post #5 of 12
I just bought a Radio Shack 273-1770 power pack. It seems like a 3 in 1 unit that might meet your needs for portable power for the Sony D-25S. See previous post

Jan 12, 2003 at 9:53 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by stevesolo
I just bought a Radio Shack 273-1770 power pack. It seems like a 3 in 1 unit that might meet your needs for portable power for the Sony D-25S. See previous post

Thats a good unit, but won't help him if he's more than 6' from a power outlet.

Jan 12, 2003 at 10:34 PM Post #7 of 12
Sure it will.

The Radio Shack 273-1900 can serve as a DC to DC converter. All it will require is to have the unit charge 4 AA Ni-MH batteries, disconnect from AC when fully charged and plug unit into the Sony D-25S using the M adopter plug matching the correct polarity. You now have a portable 9 Volt, 660mA power pack to run the CD player.

For non portable use, simply just use unit as an AC to DC adopter by plugging the power pack into an AC outlet and the cord into the Sony. The length of the cord that comes with the unit is 6 feet and a matched extention could be purchased for another 6 feet if needed.

I purchased this unit yesterday for 50% off for $20. It's seems really very functional as NI-MH battery charger of up to 4 AA's, as a AC to DC adopter and a DC to DC converter. It has settings for 3/4.5/6/7.5/9 volts. At 9 volts the maximum operating current is 660mA which sould work well with the SonyD-25S.

My question is, if the units charging current is 600mA, will 2100mah batteries get fully charged? Could I be limited to batteries with lower mA ratings?

Also, I know that the Sony D-25S requires a plug and cord with a outside positive and an inside negative. Would this configuration be called a positive or negative tip. I ask this so I can correctly match up the cord from the RS unit to the M adopter.

Jan 13, 2003 at 4:36 AM Post #8 of 12
Oooooooh. I. C.

Quote:

Sure it will.

The Radio Shack 273-1900 can serve as a DC to DC converter....

But before that you posted:
Quote:

Yes, the 273-1900 will work just as you described.

Quote:

My question is, if the units charging current is 600mA, will 2100mah batteries get fully charged? Could I be limited to batteries with lower mA ratings?

The batteries will get fully charged. It simply a matter of time. Think of amps (mA in this case) as how fast the voltage is traveling. Amp hours (mah) is how many amps the cell can supply per hour. So a 600mA charger will take longer to charge (fill up) the 2100mah cells than a 1000mA charger would.

Jan 13, 2003 at 10:16 PM Post #10 of 12
Hey bdb55,

Thanks for the head's up! I just picked those up on ebay. I hope that the batteries will still hold a charge. But hell, what do I have to lose?

I already have a radioshack 273-1900, but I was hoping I could find the original batteries so I wouldn't have to carry anything extra.

And Hadron, I also just bought the same Li-ion battery that you posted the link to. I'm still waiting for it to come in. However, the big question is that the D-25's charging circut was made for Pb cells and not Li-ion. And unfortunately, Li-ion cells are very intolerant of mischarging. Not to mention that that battery is a single cell Li-ion and hence only 3.6 volts and not the two cell Pb battery that the BP2EX is (ie. 2 cells of 2 volts = 4 volts). I don't know how the decrease in voltage would effect the sound. Luckly, I was about to buy the Triton Ni-cad/Ni-MH/Pb/Li-ion charger from Great Planes anyway (see www.towerhobbies.com ). But I don't know what someone would do if they didn't have a Li-ion charger.

I'll post an update once I get the batteries and charger in.

Jan 13, 2003 at 10:22 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Sure they will. Figure on fully charging 2100mAh batteries in about 3.5 to 4 hours on a charger that delivers 600mA of charging current.

Jan 14, 2003 at 3:23 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by panman
.....Thanks for the head's up! I just picked those up on ebay. ...And Hadron, I also just bought the same Li-ion battery that you posted the link to. ....However, the big question is that the D-25's charging circut was made for Pb cells and not Li-ion. And unfortunately, Li-ion cells are very intolerant of mischarging. ....I'll post an update once I get the batteries and charger in.

Please do post an update. I'd be very interested in how long the lead and Li-ion's will play the unit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back