Sony D-22=D-12?
Aug 6, 2003 at 3:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Mystyler

500+ Head-Fier
I'm eyeing off a D-22 in pristine condition for only a couple-a-bucks. I'm tempted, but so far I haven't found out jack about this particular model! Only thing I've found is that it is the Euro version of the D-12...? Or is it a different model entirely?

More to the point, is the headphone out any good?

Aug 7, 2003 at 9:38 AM Post #3 of 20
Peter,
TTBOMK?

Thanks for the clarification of the models. Do you know if the D-12 is half-decent, even just from opinions you may have read?

Aug 7, 2003 at 10:08 AM Post #5 of 20
To the best of my knowledge
wink.gif

From what I've heard, the D-2 and its brothers are said to be not quite up there with their more legendary relatives, but will still give you very good oldschool Sony sound and excellent value for money. But this is just hearsay, I think the function would turn up some first hand experience...

Aug 7, 2003 at 1:27 PM Post #6 of 20
Ah, I see.
wink.gif

I did indeed use the search button, but details are sketchy. Seems to have "oldschool Sony" signature sound, but not "up there" with the best, as you have said. Hirsch seems to like his D-12...damn Sony and their whacky numbering system!!
Is it worth getting, just for bedside CD listening with D66s? I currently own a D-173, and have always been intrigued with old PCDPs and the rep they have here. It's $14.50AUD with just under two days to go. I doubt I'll get that R50 or F80 PMDR I'm watching...

Hmm, make that $20.50AUD...

Aug 7, 2003 at 1:48 PM Post #7 of 20
That's like 13USD? Don't think you can go that wrong. If you don't get this one, look out for the D-33, sounds great and often goes pretty cheap...

Aug 7, 2003 at 1:57 PM Post #8 of 20
I sold my D-12, but still have a D-2 which is exactly the same player without Megabass. There is no difference in the sound at all that I was able to detect. The D-12 was good enough to send my Panny 470 to the shelf. I usually use the line outs, but headphone out on these players has plenty of power, and sounds pretty good. Not at the level of some of the premium players, though.

Aug 7, 2003 at 2:19 PM Post #9 of 20
I think my brother has a D22-- I could give it a listen for ya but I know nothing about the sound of PCDPs
wink.gif
All the talk of old school CDPs has me wondering what my old D11 sounded like-- back then i didn't have anything but the stock phones.

Aug 7, 2003 at 2:30 PM Post #10 of 20
If you could do that within the next 42 hours, Rumz, that would be great.
eggosmile.gif
However, it's going for dirt at the moment so I'm not overly worried. And that is ~$13USD, Peter. I've had my eyes open for a D-33 for a while.
wink.gif

Thanks for that, Hirsch. Again, I'm not too worried if it isn't quite up to the premium models, as with my equipment I probably won't notice the difference. Now, at the risk of sounding like a drone, the D-22 is just the Euro version of the D-12, the D-20 is the Euro D-2. Only differences being that the D-12 has MegaBass? Sorry, but this stuff is confusing me like nothing else...
confused.gif

Aug 7, 2003 at 4:43 PM Post #11 of 20
First there was the D-20, which was called D-2 in the US. Then one year later, MegaBass was added, and this updated version was the D-22, which was called D-12 in the US.

Aug 7, 2003 at 7:27 PM Post #12 of 20
I got a D-2 from Ebay for $5, and it was well worth it. Perhaps not hi-fi, but it's a great player. Beats the hell out of the modern Discman I have. Even though I had to spend quite a bit of time fiddling with the pots (go here for the story), it was worth it. If the one you're looking at works better than mine did, I say go for it.

The only thing I have to really compare this player to is the M-audio Sonica, which is probably a better player, but the D-2 is just so damn musical.

The D-2 has been my work player for a couple weeks now. I had to get a volume control; at min volume it's too loud on my Portapros. (Ahh, the days before AVLS.)

Looks like D-2 == D-12 == D-20 == D-22, except two of those have bass boost, which you won't be using anyway, right?

Aug 8, 2003 at 5:03 PM Post #13 of 20
Thanks for the clear up, Peter!

stereth, thank you for your little link - interesting, and I may need to call on your expertise if this one buggers up on me, but it is in super nick. I doubt I'll use MegaBass, unless, my Eggos NEED it...(that I doubt...)

What would you guys recommend as an upper limit on the D-22 (15 hours leftish)? I'm now winning the bid on $41AUD, but I really don't want to spend to much more as I don't have to much to play with. If I lose this, is a D-11 worth $5AUD (starting price, 9 days left...)

All I can say is that someone from Head-Fi is also bidding on the D-22, or some ****wit is playing silly buggers and jacking the price up...but probably the former.
biggrin.gif

Aug 8, 2003 at 5:13 PM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by Mystyler
If I lose this, is a D-11 worth $5AUD (starting price, 9 days left...)

The short answer is yes.

Aug 8, 2003 at 8:43 PM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by Mystyler
or some ****wit is playing silly buggers and jacking the price up...but probably the former.
biggrin.gif

Bid once, bid late. No games, just one clean shot. Bidding wars don't help anybody but the seller.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back