Sony CD3000: the evidence is mounting...
Jul 22, 2001 at 1:29 AM Post #16 of 25
I agree with Vertigo. I have heard E888, CD-1700 and all I can say is CD-3000 sounds completely different since it tends to stress the treble and bass rather than the midrange, totally unlike the warm biocellulose sound of the MDR-E888 and MDR-CD1700 which stresses the midrange alot more.

Jul 22, 2001 at 2:01 AM Post #17 of 25
markl,

You've picked a very cool way to start this thread -- seriously, man, very cool post.

Head-Fi/Headwize member Ross is someone I seem to have at least some similarities with in terms of things we like sonically. When he posted that he totally digs the 3000's -- I mean totally digs them -- it made me really want to try them, and I will likely do so some day.

What has my interest now is in trying those 250-ohm Beyer 770's and 990's. In case you didn't see my post mentioning it, Head-Fi member mikejazz is Michael Arnopol, bassist for Patricia Barber. This guy is easily one of the most talented jazz bassists I've heard (proof beyond a reasonable doubt can be found on Patricia Barber's Companion album on a song called "Use Me"). Anyway, mikejazz seemed pretty satisfied with the 250-ohm 990's, and, coming from a bassist of that calibre, I have to say I pretty much have to try them now. As a few of you may know, bass reproduction (not duh-m-bass--how do we spell that?---bass, but strong, accurate, musical, deep bass).

Anyway, I'll try the Beyers first, and if neither model does it for me then maybe I'll try those 3000's, in the neverending search for things cool and different.

Jul 22, 2001 at 2:29 AM Post #18 of 25
markl, with price as a consideration, I think the CD1700s are better than CD3000s. In fact, thats a major reason why I sold my CD3000s.

Jul 22, 2001 at 5:43 AM Post #19 of 25
markl, it's up to the listener really. Like I said, the 1700s and 3000s both sound very different from each other, and I personally don't believe simply swapping pads will change their sound to the other headphone. The best way to put it is the CD1700s are similar to the Sennheiser HD-600s minus the bass output capability the Sennheisers have (i.e. relaxed, warm sound, no strain on the ears at all), and the CD-3000s are like a beefier sounding version of the Grado SR-325s, with a smoother treble and a more intense bass punch.

Jul 22, 2001 at 7:39 AM Post #20 of 25
markl~

thanks for taking the time to do this great sum up. ALtho I have no interest in this headphone, I have saved this thread on my HD incase I or my friends ever need a quick sum up of cd3000

Tides

Jul 22, 2001 at 6:25 PM Post #22 of 25
I don't think the 1700's sound anywhere near as good as the 3000's. I will bring both to the Pac NW get together, so those who show up can try them side by side. The 1700's definatly sound good, but I really prefer the 3000's.

Jul 23, 2001 at 1:24 AM Post #23 of 25
Beowulf:

Quote:

My only worry now is that I realized that I will want to keep these headphones for many years, so I'm wondering if I should order replacement pads from Sony right now. They will get damaged eventually, and it might be hard to find them if the 3k are eventually discontinued.

From my experience, pleather skins are the easiest parts to be damaged. Depends on your listening enviroment and storage, it's starts peeling off about in 3 years time and getting worst in high humidity conditions (ex. sweats). Other than it's pleather skins, minor discolorations and few scratches on the ear cups, everything is just in perfect conditions. Auto-adjusting head-band and it's spring still functioning till this days (after 10 years later.), Ear-cups which made from ceramic+celullose-fiber composite are tough also in great condition and not even any cracks were founded eventhough I accidentally droped it several times. The most important things is, no changes in sound quality from years to years.

markl

Quote:

To the best of my knowledge, these phones were designed and built in 1991. I would be surprised if Sony did any more than one batch of these to do for the life of the product line. It's a limited market at the high end, so I doubt they've done many production runs and certainly have not revisited the design or made improvements since their release in 1991. I doubt there will be any more of these once the current supply is out. They are already down $300 or more from their initial price and getting harder to find.

These phones sold in Japan in July 1st 1991. The difference I can see from the first batch (which I owned) and newer batches is, the color of it's phone plug. My CD3000m 's plug's colour is BLACK while newer one is stainless-steel's color. From the linked web-pages, the initial official price is still the SAME as 10 years ago.

Jul 23, 2001 at 4:58 AM Post #24 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by bakhtiar

From my experience, pleather skins are the easiest parts to be damaged. Depends on your listening enviroment and storage, it's starts peeling off about in 3 years time and getting worst in high humidity conditions (ex. sweats).

That's very interesting Bakhtiar, since you've had them for so long. What is the current state of your pads? Have you ever replaced them?

I've been wondering if I should get backup pads right now while they're probably easily available. Then again. I'm not sure that they won't degrade somehow even being stored with no use.

From a 10 year user, what's your opinion on this?
confused.gif

Jul 24, 2001 at 1:10 AM Post #25 of 25
Quote:

beowulf wrote:

That's very interesting Bakhtiar, since you've had them for so long. What is the current state of your pads? Have you ever replaced them?

I've been wondering if I should get backup pads right now while they're probably easily available. Then again. I'm not sure that they won't degrade somehow even being stored with no use.

From a 10 year user, what's your opinion on this?

I don't have any spares and I still using the old one, but with different touch/modifications. Today, my CD3000m looks like the picture in avatar.

tux3000m.jpeg

p/s This links might be not working ... and I'll find new sites to put all myCD3000m's pictures.

I think the main enemy to pleather, is humidity, because when I am back to my home country, which is hot and humid whole years, the rate of peeling was much more quicker. If you can store it in dry compartment or put some silica gels absorbents in your case or plastic bags, it might prevents or slowing pleather to be damage..

For me, the most important thing is the sound quality, and CD3000m can give me all the quality that I need till today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back