Sony cans: MDR V6 vs MDR V600
Aug 1, 2007 at 9:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

TheBoss

100+ Head-Fier
I'm thinking about buying the MDR V6 or the MDR V600.

I read some threads here about Sony's MDR V6 and MDR V600. Many people here claim that the older MDR V6 is much better than the newer MDR V600. I'm puzzled at how people think that the older version is much better

Stats from Sonystyle.com

MDR V600
- Frequency Response = 5 hz - 30,000 hz
- Impedance = 45 ohms
- Power Handling Capacity = 1,000 mW
- Sensitivity = 106 dB/mW

MDR V6
- Frequency Response = 5 hz - 30,000 hz
- Impedance = 63 ohms
- Power Handling Capacity = 1,000 mW
- Sensitivity = 106 dB/mW

They're pretty much the same but tge MDR V6 has higher impendance. Why do people think the older one is much better?

Aug 1, 2007 at 10:07 PM Post #2 of 26
There's far more to it than the numbers.

The V600 has exagerated and distorted bass.

Aug 1, 2007 at 10:17 PM Post #3 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's far more to it than the numbers.

The V600 has exagerated and distorted bass.

Is it the paddings on V600 or the drivers that makes exagerated/distorted bass?

Aug 1, 2007 at 10:25 PM Post #4 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBoss /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Many people here claim that the older MDR V6 is much better than the newer MDR V600.

You say many. But can you name even one person on this forum that prefers the MDR-V600 over the MDR-V6?

BTW, the MDR-V600 appears to me to be inferior in all qualities including physical build. It would appear to me that it was intended as a (cheaper to make) replacement to the MDR-V6. Actually, I believe the MDR-V6 was discontinued after the V600 was first introduced(can anyone confirm this?) but later provided again after large demand.

Chris

Aug 1, 2007 at 10:26 PM Post #5 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBoss /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it the paddings on V600 or the drivers that makes exagerated/distorted bass?

Yes. And the shape of the earcup behind the driver as well.

Aug 1, 2007 at 10:35 PM Post #6 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by searchenabler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You say many. But can you name even one person on this forum that prefers the MDR-V600 over the MDR-V6?

BTW, the MDR-V600 appears to me to be inferior in all qualities including physical build. It would appear to me that it was intended as a (cheaper to make) replacement to the MDR-V6. Actually, I believe the MDR-V6 was discontinued after the V600 was first introduced(can anyone confirm this?) but later provided again after large demand.

Chris

Sony is still selling V6s, but I can't find one in circuit city or best buy lol
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921665089914

Aug 1, 2007 at 10:51 PM Post #7 of 26
iirc the V6 was replaced by the 7506, which is exactly the same cans but with a threaded 1/4" adapter on the cable.

And this confused and enraged the market, many lives were lost in the battles over whether the 7506 was inferior, superior, or exactly the same as the V6, and in the end, Sony started selling the V6 again just because people fear change.

That's vaguely how i remember it at least.

Aug 1, 2007 at 10:51 PM Post #8 of 26
Quote:

Yes. And the shape of the earcup behind the driver as well.

Can V6 and V600 pads be replaced with non-OEM sony ones?

Aug 1, 2007 at 11:00 PM Post #9 of 26
The V6 can wear Beyerdynamic DT250 pads, and many people have made the swap.

The V600 earcups are teardrop shaped, and I'm not aware of anybody putting 3rd party earpads on them.

HD570 or HD590 pads look like they MIGHT fit, but they cost more than my old V600 is worth. At least after shipping.

If they do fit, they would croud the driver less, and that might improve the sound a bit. They probably also wouldn't seal as well, which might lessen the bass a touch.

But nobody seems to care. I sure don't. A couple weeks ago someone took the caps off the backs of the earcups and says they sound better run as an open can.

Aug 1, 2007 at 11:24 PM Post #10 of 26
Quote:

iirc the V6 was replaced by the 7506, which is exactly the same cans but with a threaded 1/4" adapter on the cable.

I found the Sony 7509HD. I heard it's suppose to replace the 7506s and it looks like and built like the V600s... hmmmm

Oct 14, 2007 at 3:01 PM Post #11 of 26
I find it hard to believe the bashing on MDR-V600 in this forum.

I own it and IT IS NOT BAD. It is even better than Sennheiser HD-555. You can make it very musical by matching it with a headphone amplifier. I am not an audiophile with all those expensive gear but with these combination that I have, the bass is tight and warm, NOT DISTORTED.

Here is my gear:

1) Sony CD Walkman DNE-330. Sound settings is Heavy on equalizer with Clearbass at 3.
2) Zigis Headphone Amplifier using OPA-2134.
3) Sony MDR-V600.

The sound is warm adn silky with mid-range very prominent and treble clear and not fatiguing.

Don't trust the hype here. The Sony MDR-V600 was meant to be used with amplification and once properly matched with a decent amplifier, it sounds fantastic!

Oct 14, 2007 at 3:26 PM Post #12 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by minusflo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find it hard to believe the bashing on MDR-V600 in this forum.

I own it and IT IS NOT BAD. It is even better than Sennheiser HD-555. You can make it very musical by matching it with a headphone amplifier. I am not an audiophile with all those expensive gear but with these combination that I have, the bass is tight and warm, NOT DISTORTED.

Here is my gear:

1) Sony CD Walkman DNE-330. Sound settings is Heavy on equalizer with Clearbass at 3.
2) Zigis Headphone Amplifier using OPA-2134.
3) Sony MDR-V600.

The sound is warm adn silky with mid-range very prominent and treble clear and not fatiguing.

Don't trust the hype here. The Sony MDR-V600 was meant to be used with amplification and once properly matched with a decent amplifier, it sounds fantastic!

Are you kidding? You must be. The MDRV-600 is horrible, and a flat out waste of money. You might as well buy Bose. Among other things, there is absolutely zero lower bass, and the midbass is horribly bloated.

The V6 is pretty good, and very good for the money. You see these in a lot of studios. They are still bassy, and have a bit of suckout in the mids, but overall they are 1000% better than the V600.

And, yes, I owned both at the same time.

Oct 14, 2007 at 3:43 PM Post #13 of 26
The v6 is not a great headphone.

However, the v600 is a bad headphone.

Oddly enough, the v900 is much more restrained though probably still not worth list.

These days the only sony can I actually enjoy listening to are my MDR-CD780's. the v900 lives in my office on campus and the v6's have been disconnected from my POD xt and replaced with senn eh2270's because they do a better job of neutrality, imho (important when tweaking bass sounds - the midbass hump and razor blade highs caused too much trouble).

Unless you want the v6 for studio use I'd stay away, there are many cans that will give you more pleasurable listening imho, unless you can get em for $40 like I did.

Oct 14, 2007 at 3:48 PM Post #14 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by minusflo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My V600, paired with an amp, sounded like a slightly lower quality but bigger and more comfortable version of my K26P (K26P unamped)..... Everyone has different ears and preferences but IMO the V600 is a horrible headphone for the price. I owned them for years and even preferred my cheap Sony streetstyles for most applications.

Ant

Users who are viewing this thread

Back