Sony budget earphone discussion thread (MH750, MH755, MH1C, EX300, etc)
Mar 31, 2024 at 3:56 PM Post #2,521 of 2,543
Ohh Slater ... brother, where art thou? We had so much fun back then modding the living ... out of cheap ass stuff ... I really miss him.

For sure. As I said, I dug mine out from storage just a couple days ago, fired them up once and immediately ordered some more parts (shells, filters, ...) for some extra mods.
Another beautiful thing about them is how well they scale ... to my ears they sound way better on my low-impedance, balanced sources (-120-130db crosstalk) than single ended (~80-100dB crosstalk, depends) ... expanded stage, better speed, cleaner transients, more precise imaging/layering and once you dial that bass down (-4-5dB shelf via EQ or front port) they sound more transparent, with less bass bleed into the mids and finally the details start to shine. Still no TOTL killer but dangerously close to Oxygen territory ... pretty amazing.
Certainly share some pics when you've completed the mods. I haven't had a chance to listen to my Slater modded pair again, but I believe he removed the foam. I'll have to test with some other sources. I have nothing fancy and no balanced gear. But couldn't believe how good they sounded with a $5 dongle and PEQ from my phone. It's like less than a $20 setup all in and had me scratching my head.

Apr 3, 2024 at 4:44 AM Post #2,522 of 2,543
KakaoTalk_20240403_162832232.jpg
KakaoTalk_20240403_162832232_01.jpg

I recently tried the mh755 and was so impressed that I bought two more. ($6.38 each)

When I heard the sound, I felt that it could never be fake.

Still, I took a picture just in case. One was disassembled for mod.

KakaoTalk_20240403_170205578_01.jpg
KakaoTalk_20240403_170205578.jpg

If koss's ksc75 exists in headphones, I think sony's mh755 exists in IEM.

I recently started scoring 'Pure Immersion' and constantly compared the IEMs and headphones I currently have.

The results were interesting.

Hyla Sarda 5.5
KSC75 5.5
IER-Z1R 5.5

MH755 5
Hidition NT1 5

Moondrop Chu 4.5
XBA-N3 4.5
WF-1000xm5 4.5

Xelento 4
Quarks DSP 4
DriverA3 4
HE400se 4 (H 86)

LG C-type bundle 3.5
CU&Cresyn C-type 3.5
Samsung EO-IG955 3.5
7Hz Zero 3.5
Crinacle Zero:RED 3.5
Final ZE3000 3.5

Sony MDR-E9LP 3
Ucotech ES903MK2 3
Beyerdynamic Beatbyrd 3
Quarks 3
Tanchjim Zero 3
CCA CRA 3

Cresyn C107S 2.5

Phiaton MS300BA 2
Iriver ICP-005i 2
Cowon EG2 2

Iriver ICP-001i 1
samsung EO-IG955(fake) 1

For reference, my beloved z1r and sarda have now become my main listening partners, beating out over 100 different IEMs costing thousands of dollars.

I feel like the MH755 is in the top 10% of all IEMs released at this point regardless of price range.

I even prefer the MH755's tone a little better than the Z1R. However, in terms of sound quality, the immersion of the Z1R is ‘slightly’ better. This is by no means a big difference.

The MH755's tone is very pleasant, and the textures are sweet, analog and natural. This is similar for xba-N3, Z1R and Sony is working their magic with the drivers.

The resolution is sufficient for listening to music, and there are no issues with imaging.

From an immersion perspective, ‘tonality, timbre, texture’ is much more important than ‘resolution, imaging.’ The ratio is closer to 8:2.

But MH755 doesn't end there. The 'Bass quality' is top notch. Together with xba-N3 and Z1R, the three brothers maintain the status of bass nobility in the IEM world.

Never promote MH755! This is our secret treasure. I recently purchased Hidition Waltz and Crinacle Dusk. I'll compare again when they arrive and leave my impressions.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2024 at 6:18 PM Post #2,523 of 2,543
KakaoTalk_20240403_162832232.jpgKakaoTalk_20240403_162832232_01.jpg

I recently tried the mh755 and was so impressed that I bought two more. ($6.38 each)

KakaoTalk_20240403_170205578_01.jpgKakaoTalk_20240403_170205578.jpg

I recently started scoring 'Pure Immersion' and constantly compared the IEMs and headphones I currently have.

Hyla Sarda 5.5
KSC75 5.5
IER-Z1R 5.5

MH755 5
Hidition NT1 5

Moondrop Chu 4.5
XBA-N3 4.5
WF-1000xm5 4.5

Xelento 4
Quarks DSP 4
DriverA3 4
HE400se 4 (H 86)

LG C-type bundle 3.5
CU&Cresyn C-type 3.5
Samsung EO-IG955 3.5
7Hz Zero 3.5
Final ZE3000 3.5

Sony MDR-E9LP 3
Ucotech ES903MK2 3
Beyerdynamic Beatbyrd 3
Quarks 3
Tanchjim Zero 3
CCA CRA 3

Cresyn C107S 2.5

Phiaton MS300BA 2
Iriver ICP-005i 2
Cowon EG2 2

Iriver ICP-001i 1
samsung EO-IG955(fake) 1

For reference, my beloved z1r and sarda have now become my main listening partners, beating out over 100 different IEMs costing thousands of dollars.

I feel like the MH755 is in the top 10% of all IEMs released at this point regardless of price range.

I even prefer the MH755's tone a little better than the Z1R. However, in terms of sound quality, the immersion of the Z1R is ‘slightly’ better. This is by no means a big difference.

The MH755's tone is very pleasant, and the textures are sweet, analog and natural. This is similar for xba-N3, Z1R and Sony is working their magic with the drivers.

The resolution is sufficient for listening to music, and there are no issues with imaging.

From an immersion perspective, ‘tonality, timbre, texture’ is much more important than ‘resolution, imaging.’ The ratio is closer to 8:2.

But MH755 doesn't end there. The 'Bass quality' is top notch. Together with xba-N3 and Z1R, the three brothers maintain the status of bass nobility in the IEM world.

Never promote MH755! This is our secret treasure. I recently purchased Hidition Waltz and Crinacle Dusk. I'll compare again when they arrive and leave my impressions.
Wonderful post. I appreciate the comparisons with your other gear. Do you find the XBA-N3 to be slightly warmer than the MH755?

Apr 3, 2024 at 7:45 PM Post #2,524 of 2,543
Wonderful post. I appreciate the comparisons with your other gear. Do you find the XBA-N3 to be slightly warmer than the MH755?
I think I know what the warmth of N3 is.

The N3 sounds like a V-shaped signature centered on the bass, while the MH755 has a W-shaped signature centered on the bass and mids.

The N3's balance leans a bit downward, and sometimes it feels cramped.

However, Sony's approach to N3 tuning maximizes Sony's driver advantages (analog, decay, naturalness, texture).

I believe that the N3 is the essence of Sony's signature house sound.
The elegant emphasis on mid-bass leads the generation of the IEM market,
The sound of midrange instruments is more accurate than that of the MH755,
The slight emphasis on the sibilant range shows how deep Sony's insight into 'musicality' is.

In headphones, the MDR-1Am2 feels closest to Sony's signature house-sound, but its only flaw is that the treble is too sharp. I think tuning headphones is more difficult than IEMs.

Meanwhile, the MH755's bass chose a slightly cleaner sub-bass emphasis than the N3. The presence of piano and vocals stands out along with the emphasis on the upper midrange. The tone is cooler, and the balance leans more upward compared to the N3. My personal preference is a little closer to the mh755.

I think there may also be an impact due to the IEM design structure. The MH755 has a very simple 1DD structure, which may have affected the consistency of the sound.

Apr 4, 2024 at 6:36 PM Post #2,526 of 2,543

The N3 sounds like a V-shaped signature centered on the bass, while the MH755 has a W-shaped signature centered on the bass and mids.

However, Sony's approach to N3 tuning maximizes Sony's driver advantages (analog, decay, naturalness, texture).

The slight emphasis on the sibilant range shows how deep Sony's insight into 'musicality' is.

Meanwhile, the MH755's bass chose a slightly cleaner sub-bass emphasis than the N3. The presence of piano and vocals stands out along with the emphasis on the upper midrange. The tone is cooler, and the balance leans more upward compared to the N3. My personal preference is a little closer to the mh755.
The MH750 is really great sounding but I would not go so far as to put it above N3 both in timbre and technicalities. The N3 really is far ahead of the MH750 from the mid to the upper registers where it stands out as NEVER sharp or anything but very elegant. ITs almost opposite with the MH750 where the Bass section is so tasteful and never too much but the mid and esp. treble ranges need to be tamed by eq and even then never reach the pleasant N3 level.. And when using outside the N3 is again on another level isolation whise..

I think ist interewsting that you place the WF-1000xm5 on par with N3, might have to give these wireless iems a try when they sound that good

Apr 4, 2024 at 6:41 PM Post #2,527 of 2,543
The MH750 is really great sounding but I would not go so far as to put it above N3 both in timbre and technicalities. The N3 really is far ahead of the MH750 from the mid to the upper registers where it stands out as NEVER sharp or anything but very elegant. ITs almost opposite with the MH750 where the Bass section is so tasteful and never too much but the mid and esp. treble ranges need to be tamed by eq and even then never reach the pleasant N3 level.. And when using outside the N3 is again on another level isolation whise..

I think ist interewsting that you place the WF-1000xm5 on par with N3, might have to give these wireless iems a try when they sound that good
It can actually be extremely pleasant if you remove the all vent stickers from the back of the driver, then use Comply foam tips in reverse.

I've just started listening to them that way, and they're even more pleasant than stock Final E5000 and E3000.

Apr 4, 2024 at 11:39 PM Post #2,528 of 2,543

In headphones, the MDR-1Am2 feels closest to Sony's signature house-sound, but its only flaw is that the treble is too sharp. I think tuning headphones is more difficult than IEMs.

I think there may also be an impact due to the IEM design structure. The MH755 has a very simple 1DD structure, which may have affected the consistency of the sound.
I appreciate your detailed response. I have been revisiting my MH755 with Oratory1990's USound preference EQ. It adds a bit of warmth or depth pending the track to the MH755, hence my question regarding the XBA-N3.

I noticed your ranking of the KSC75 as well. I think we may have similar tastes...splitting hairs. Per my profile gear list, I obviously tread in the budget realm headphone-wise. KSC75 were great for me. I eventually landed on KSC35 on a PE headband and Yaxi pads, with EQ to mitigate the midbass bloat. The MH755 with EQ get me close to my ideal signature I think.

My 2 channel stereo leans neutral/warm....warm likely due to the Denafrips Ares II, but I crave detail with minimal grain/fatigue. I am currently listening to the MH755 with Oratory1990's USound EQ through my Audio Opus #11 DAC/amp and it is quite good.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2024 at 5:52 PM Post #2,529 of 2,543
KakaoTalk_20240403_162832232.jpgKakaoTalk_20240403_162832232_01.jpg

KakaoTalk_20240403_170205578_01.jpgKakaoTalk_20240403_170205578.jpg

Hyla Sarda 5.5
KSC75 5.5
IER-Z1R 5.5

MH755 5
Hidition NT1 5

Moondrop Chu 4.5
XBA-N3 4.5
WF-1000xm5 4.5

Xelento 4
Quarks DSP 4
DriverA3 4
HE400se 4 (H 86)

LG C-type bundle 3.5
CU&Cresyn C-type 3.5
Samsung EO-IG955 3.5
7Hz Zero 3.5
Final ZE3000 3.5

Sony MDR-E9LP 3
Ucotech ES903MK2 3
Beyerdynamic Beatbyrd 3
Quarks 3
Tanchjim Zero 3
CCA CRA 3

Cresyn C107S 2.5

Phiaton MS300BA 2
Iriver ICP-005i 2
Cowon EG2 2

Iriver ICP-001i 1
samsung EO-IG955(fake) 1

Where do you buy the mh 755?
Thanks

Apr 8, 2024 at 2:49 AM Post #2,530 of 2,543
how i wish there is something with mh1c's sound tuning + mh750's housing + better cable and eartips.

because i prefer the sound from mh1c and the wearing comfort from mh750.

or mh1c in final e3000's housing, cable and eartips.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2024 at 6:18 AM Post #2,531 of 2,543

I empathize with your feelings.

I started assessing my 'Pure Immersion' score just two months ago, and it's still incomplete.

I compared the MH755 and N3 for you and I don't think there will be any change in the score. The reason is as mentioned above.

And I also maintain my praise for N3 as mentioned above.

Intuitively, it seems difficult to accept that TWS IEMs are equivalent to Wired IEMs.

This is because the TWS unit contains a Bluetooth chipset, microphone, etc., and to satisfy the public, the size must be reduced and there are many trade-offs, whereas Wired IEMs can only focus on sound.

But I don't care about those causes. I'm only evaluating the resulting sound for 'how immersive it is.'

A narrow stage reduces immersion, and blurry sound also reduces immersion.
The sweet bass expression increases immersion, and the analog texture increases immersion.

I tried to rank the elements that make up immersion by dividing them into timbre, resolution, image expression, and bass expression, but the average of the ranks did not actually work as well as it sounds. This is why I rate it 'Pure Immersion'.

I recently gave the Galaxy Buds 2 Pro a score of 4.5.

The Buds 2 Pro's tuning is very clever, clean and pleasant. However, such tuning exposed the TWS's plastic texture (very present in the Buds Plus).

Results of continued comparison between N3, XM5, and Buds 2 Pro. I recognized them as being of the same rank.

I appreciate your detailed response. I have been revisiting my MH755 with Oratory1990's USound preference EQ. It adds a bit of warmth or depth pending the track to the MH755, hence my question regarding the XBA-N3.

I noticed your ranking of the KSC75 as well. I think we may have similar tastes...splitting hairs. Per my profile gear list, I obviously tread in the budget realm headphone-wise. KSC75 were great for me. I eventually landed on KSC35 on a PE headband and Yaxi pads, with EQ to mitigate the midbass bloat. The MH755 with EQ get me close to my ideal signature I think.

My 2 channel stereo leans neutral/warm....warm likely due to the Denafrips Ares II, but I crave detail with minimal grain/fatigue. I am currently listening to the MH755 with Oratory1990's USound EQ through my Audio Opus #11 DAC/amp and it is quite good.
graph.png
graph (1).png

I think the midranges of the MH755 and KSC75 are quite similar and close to the DF target.
I tried Etymotic (er2, er3, EVO) IEMs, but the tone didn't suit my taste.
I can't confirm my guess, as I couldn't find anything with a midrange closer to the DF target than the MH755 and KSC75.
The DF target's low-mid range (<500Hz) seems to be lacking, but I'm very curious about the sound of perfect DF IEMs or headphones.

Where do you buy the mh 755?
Thanks
I purchased it from a small online store in Korea, but they do not ship internationally.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Hidition Waltz arrived recently, and I also tried it with the ATH-R70x, MDR-MA900, and Galaxy Buds 2 Pro.

The Waltz's sound is consistent with what I heard at the audio store, and even so, compared to the MH755's tone, it's hard to judge a winner... $570 is equivalent to $6.38.

The reason why this is surprising is because Waltz has a top-tier tone that ranks in the top 3 among the IEMs I heard at the audio store. The IEMs I've heard of are:

Most of Noble IEMs
Vision Phonix
Vision EXT
All of Campfire Audio IEMs
AME Gaia
AME Raven
Vision VE8
AAW Canary Pro
AME Radioso
Acoustune HS2000 MK2
All of Softears IEMs
AME Aura
Lime ears NEW Aether R
CustomArt FIBAE 7 Unlimited
Effect Audio GAEA
Bellos Audio
Gaudio Nair 2022
All of Hidition IEMs
Empire Raven
All of 64Audio IEMs
Unique Melody Maven pro
Final A8000
QDC 8SL, 8SH
Audeze Euclid
All of Sennheiser IEMs
Moondrop Solis
All of Kinera IEMs
Meze Rai Penta
Plussound Allegro
Most of Oriveti, Westone, Beyerdynamic, Aroma Audio, Craft Ears, Lark Studio, Nostalgia Audio, Rhapsodio, Inear, Canal Works, JH Audio, Etymotic IEMs

In terms of performance, Waltz is superior to MH755, so I gave it a score of 5.5.

Meanwhile, to my ears, the R70x and MA900 sound worse than the MH755 or KSC75. The score is 4 or lower.

Our next showdown is the recently released Crinacle Dusk.

The tone (texture, timbre, balance, etc.) of the MH755 is A+ or better, which puts it in the top 10% of all IEMs on the market regardless of price.

The more I compare, the less doubt I have and the more confidence I have.

KakaoTalk_20240408_180447986.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2024 at 5:40 AM Post #2,532 of 2,543
Hello lads :)

I can confirm that the white MH755’s from this seller are legit, at the very least the white wired versions, not sure about the pre modded ones.

https://www.ebay.com/str/neofuturedoit

Both my white MH’s are legit, here are the pictures of them.

IMG_0215.jpeg

IMG_0222.png

The black pair I ordered from him, I am not so sure, so I came here to ask questions.

No CE tag on my black pair, but from I understand this means it is a later model, though it has MH755 molded into the splitter.

IMG_0249.jpeg

It has letters on the strain relief and the inside of the shell, though my white pair had neither.

IMG_0260.jpeg
IMG_0262.jpeg

The thing that makes me pause is the board though, for 1. It seems like one of them is missing a solder dot, and 2. It has no notch on the center top of the board like you might be able to see on my pictures of my white pair. Manufacturing differences between model years maybe? Or fakes? Also it has a center circular vent which I thought only existed for very early years? Or maybe I have my information mixed up, been a long time since I read this thread.

The second picture shows the missing solder dot on the left. Sign of a fake or just manufacturing error? They sound pretty similar to my real pairs.

It maybe also be difficult to tell through photos, but the solder is also MUCH shinier on the connecting wires, very glossy, while the solder connecting the wires on my white pairs are “hazy” or “cloudy” for lack of a better word, very noticeable side by side, again not sure what bearing that has on differentiating between real vs fake.

IMG_0253.jpeg

IMG_0254.jpeg

Some discussion points maybe: One of my white pairs sound a little bit higher clarity then the other if I really really pay attention, I wonder what the tolerances are in manufacturing are, how different can real pairs sound from other real pairs? They both sound miles better than the obvious fake though that I bought earlier though.

Also the MH1C sounds worse and it harder to get a better fit IMO, and less modding potential.

I can also confirm that this seller has fakes (and very bad fakes mind you, completely wrong size, cheap non-translucent tips, and the wire pad ripped off as soon as I opened)

https://www.ebay.com/str/vktrading15

IMG_0265.jpeg

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2024 at 3:43 PM Post #2,534 of 2,543
KakaoTalk_20240417_022600430.jpg

Crinacle Dusk has arrived.

The tuning is very close to flat, but the tone is a bit artificial. There is an impression that there is a lack of consistency between drivers.

The tone score of MH755 is better, and the performance score of Dusk is slightly higher.

Dusk's score could be 5 or lower, but for now, for the sake of authority, we'll temporarily keep it at 5.

DSP cables are worse than 3.5mm analog cables. The snare loses its vitality and becomes dull, and the balance begins to tilt slightly downward.

The current score list is as follows: The parentheses indicate the playback volume for volume matching.

Hyla Sarda 5.5 (50)
KSC75 5.5 (80)
IER-Z1R 5.5 (68)
Hidition Waltz 5.5 (46)

MH755 5 (63)
Hidition NT1 5 (55)
ATH-R70X(Stock pad) 5 (H90)
Crinacle Dusk 5 (62)

Samsung Galaxy Buds 2 pro 4.5
Moondrop CHU 4.5
XBA-N3 4.5
WF-1000xm5 4.5
MDR-MA900 4.5

Xelento 4
Quarks DSP 4
DriverA3 4
ATH-R70X(Leatherette pad) 4

HE400se 3.5
LG C-type bundle 3.5
CU&Cresyn C-type 3.5
Samsung EO-IG955 3.5
7Hz Zero 3.5
Final ze3000 3.5

Sony MDR-E9LP 3
WH-1000xm5 3
Ucotech ES903MK2 3
Beyerdynamic Beatbyrd 3
Quarks 3
Tanjim Zero 3
CCA CRA 3

C107S 2.5

Phiaton MS300BA 2
Iriver ICP-005i 2
Cowon EG2 2

Iriver ICP-001i 1
samsung EO-IG955(fake) 1

MH755 is now the gatekeeper and reference for appointing it as my main device.
The more I compare, the less doubt I have and the more confident I become.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2024 at 9:19 AM Post #2,535 of 2,543
It can actually be extremely pleasant if you remove the all vent stickers from the back of the driver, then use Comply foam tips in reverse.

I've just started listening to them that way, and they're even more pleasant than stock Final E5000 and E3000.
will give this one a try when i find the time for the procedure. what foam tips do you use, original sony ones?where to buy?and in reverse sounds to me that they become smaller towards the iem??
i really liked the e 5000 sound signature whise but had to let it go due to the huge power requirements/low volumes in portable setting

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back