Sony budget earphone discussion thread (MH750, MH755, MH1C, EX300, etc)
Jan 22, 2020 at 3:16 AM Post #1,051 of 2,541
Has anyone ever successfully recabled the Sony MH1C? I know some have done the MH1 but the earpieces look different.

We have some thin cables to try if it is doable.

I tryed and failed. First 2 pairs I broke the plastic part of housing. After that I menaged to open them up but every tipe there was a small part of plastic that broke. I don't know if is because of that or because the driver is glued to metal part of housing but i had a felling that every time after recabling the sound changed.

If you want my advice cut the wire 2-3 cm from housing and solder the wire or mmcx connector and after that make it hard with shrinking tube.
Something like this.

4612535.jpg

KASokaGars4fHEUx6

Jan 22, 2020 at 4:29 AM Post #1,052 of 2,541
If you want my advice cut the wire 2-3 cm from housing and solder the wire or mmcx connector and after that make it hard with shrinking tube.
Something like this.

4612535.jpg

KASokaGars4fHEUx6

That’s what I’d do.

Jan 22, 2020 at 6:46 AM Post #1,053 of 2,541
I tryed and failed. First 2 pairs I broke the plastic part of housing. After that I menaged to open them up but every tipe there was a small part of plastic that broke. I don't know if is because of that or because the driver is glued to metal part of housing but i had a felling that every time after recabling the sound changed.

Something like this.

4612535.jpg

KASokaGars4fHEUx6

That’s what I’d do.

It is possible to recable to the drivers.

After following @mochill s links, and, after much reading, I sent a pm to luisdent who sent me here:

http://handtokey.blogspot.com/2014/05/sony-mh1-recable-by-luisdent-tutorial.html?m=1

Wow! If you enlarge all the photos you can see in detail what to do. It looks like it requires a serious amount of patience.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2020 at 6:48 AM Post #1,054 of 2,541
Jan 22, 2020 at 10:42 AM Post #1,055 of 2,541

Something like this.

4612535.jpg

KASokaGars4fHEUx6
are the wires inside are color coded? like you just solder the copper to ground and red / green to signal (positive)

Jan 22, 2020 at 6:00 PM Post #1,056 of 2,541
Dear, I'm confused. Earlier in this thread these were shown to be legit:

The one that came with my Sony SBH24 looks like this - two dots, centered round vent. No offset oval shaped vent as shown above:

IMG_2723.jpg

Yep, my soldering skills are in need some finesse but besides that - do they counterfeit the whole SBH24 as well? I mean argh, I do like what I hear, no reason to doubt them being genuine drivers soundwise. But this detail keeps tangling me, though. Any thoughts on this?!

Jan 22, 2020 at 6:06 PM Post #1,057 of 2,541
Dear, I'm confused. Earlier in this thread these were shown to be legit:

The one that came with my Sony SBH24 looks like this - two dots, centered round vent. No offset oval shaped vent as shown above:

Yep, my soldering skills are in need some finesse but besides that - do they counterfeit the whole SBH24 as well? I mean argh, I do like what I hear, no reason to doubt them being genuine drivers soundwise. But this detail keeps tangling me, though. Any thoughts on this?!

Maybe both are legit, just has the filter offset vs centered? Any other differences? Nozzle filter, stem, etc.?

Calling @Slater, who may have the answers.

Also made a 2nd pair MMCX MH755. Went ahead and epoxied both sets just in case, currently curing.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2020 at 6:38 PM Post #1,058 of 2,541
Jep, just the hole facing straight up as far as I can tell from the various pictures. The sponge stuff is in there and the drivers are glued into the front housing as well. Just ordered a separate sold pair to have a direct comparsion but well, these will take ages to arrive.

Epoxy is quite a solid way to go with MMCX I think, plugging in and out may put a lot of force to the joint. Happy curing!

Jan 22, 2020 at 6:48 PM Post #1,059 of 2,541
Jep, just the hole facing straight up as far as I can tell from the various pictures. The sponge stuff is in there and the drivers are glued into the front housing as well. Just ordered a separate sold pair to have a direct comparsion but well, these will take ages to arrive.

Epoxy is quite a solid way to go with MMCX I think, plugging in and out may put a lot of force to the joint. Happy curing!

If you need comparison pics let us know. Here's one of my older pics.
20190807_164928.jpg

Yeah, epoxy should do a very good job. My 1st pair I used hot glue to keep it removable. I sold those a long time ago and haven't heard anything. So they are probably fine.

I just didn't like how much more space the hot glue took up as it is harder to get into the nooks & crannies to secure the MMCX connector.

20190811_205205.jpg

Jan 23, 2020 at 3:59 AM Post #1,060 of 2,541
Hmm, according to your pic the polarity is also twisted. Your 'positive' mark is on the right. Furthermore there's no dent in the green pcb between the contacts on mine. Strange..

Here's another one:

IMG_2725.jpg

Edit: Agreed, epoxy is easier and more accurate to process than hot glue. Hot glue tends to end up in a mess.

Edit 2: They look pretty much like the black ones you showed in Post #645.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2020 at 2:29 PM Post #1,061 of 2,541
Hmm, according to your pic the polarity is also twisted. Your 'positive' mark is on the right. Furthermore there's no dent in the green pcb between the contacts on mine. Strange..

Here's another one:

Edit: Agreed, epoxy is easier and more accurate to process than hot glue. Hot glue tends to end up in a mess.

Edit 2: They look pretty much like the black ones you showed in Post #645.

Do you have a multi meter? The dot could show the negative side.

The driver, housing, filter and even the cable stem are different on my black pair to all the white ones I've had (6 pairs).

IMG_20190904_202917.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2020 at 4:39 PM Post #1,062 of 2,541
Do you have a multi meter? The dot could show the negative side.

Good point. Unfortunately I didn't take a picture of the original wiring but I'm pretty shure it had the colored wire on the dot side, the non-colored one on the other. So I assume the dot marks the positive side. They measure about 17.3 Ohms, quite the value of your white ones. May this possibly be MH-750 drivers? Found another pair sold locally, they're supposed to arrive saturday. The tension rises..

Jan 23, 2020 at 4:58 PM Post #1,063 of 2,541
Good point. Unfortunately I didn't take a picture of the original wiring but I'm pretty shure it had the colored wire on the dot side, the non-colored one on the other. So I assume the dot marks the positive side. They measure about 17.3 Ohms, quite the value of your white ones. May this possibly be MH-750 drivers? Found another pair sold locally, they're supposed to arrive saturday. The tension rises..

One of my pairs I re-cabled had the dot on the negative side & mismatched.

IMG_20191116_172329.jpg

White pair #1 16.4 ohm x2
White pair #2 15.8 ohm x2
Black pair 20.3 & 20.4 ohms (these I think are fake, they don't sound quite as good)

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2020 at 8:32 AM Post #1,065 of 2,541
My real deal from Ebay (12,90€) for comparsion reasons just arrived. I actually prefer it to the one from the SBH24 Set, in direct comparsion the one from the SBH24 appears a bit dull/lifeless to me.

Pretty obvious in 'Billie Jean', the beat starts off with a bassdrum, snare and closed hi-hat, then a shaker joins in on the right. With the 'centered dot' version from my SBH24 this shaker gets quite lost in comparsion to the one with the 'off-centered-oval-shaped-filter' ones, so at least they seem to differ within that frequency range.

For the amount of bass and sub-bass I personally can't hear any noticable difference. To my ears, both reach deep down at pretty decent levels as I like to quick-check with E-40's 'Yup'.

Glad I tried them. What a great pick for the price, even at 12,90€ + recabling. I found a classic EarPod cable to be my favorite match for now. No fancy looks and a pain to solder but nice slippy surface, sturdy, ultra light weight and superb remote and mic. Too bad they never made a black version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back