Sony/B&W/HTC/AKG/Sennheiser/MISC Thread
Jun 9, 2017 at 6:16 PM Post #751 of 1,526
honestly I don't even think most people have the money to indulge in this stuff. These kind of uber expensive, DAP, DAC/amps, and headphones are only indulged by people who way too much money and dont know what to do with so are easily fooled. The high end DAP are kind of cool too look at it, but no way its worth that much. like i said that 2-3k is better spend with speakers.

speakers are the only thing I'd understand would take a lot of money. Because a lot of technology goes into it and has more materials than say something like a dap. Its the only thing worth spending money over and even with speakers im not sure I'd wanna go over 2 thousand dollars.

yup thats the only reasonable amount of money. 3 thousand dollar dap is for stupid people who make stupid amount of money. I would say that money is better spend on improving your home speaker system or buying all of the worlds best headphones unless you're buying utopias and sony z1r which is around the same price.

and people like yourself say there isn't even a difference with 300 dollar dap and say something like the HTC10. Which Im not surprised. my zune HD has better volume than my z3 but the quality is noticably better on the z3. its outdated dap though so can't compare.

but i really wonder why did DAP ever become such a huge thing and now have died out? nobody seems to buy them anymore. and phones were still a thing back when it came out.
Most people don't, and that's why it's an incredibly niche hobby, even in headfi.... Even the focal utopia at $4000 is hardly that much better than an hd800 which can easily be gotten for under $700 second hand. If I had a ton of money to spend, I'd get the sonus faber venere 3.0 floorstanding speakers, now those would be an excellent investment

Jun 9, 2017 at 6:19 PM Post #752 of 1,526
Well because the sound quality on a DAP was MUCH better than it was on phones. Then the Z3 and more importantly the LG V20 & HTC 10 came out and took things to a NEW level. So now the DAP isn't as important as before. But some ppl prefer to use a dedicated device. Just b/c I no longer do doesn't mean everyone thinks like me, so yeah. lol But I would say more ppl are like me and prefer to use their phone if they can. Fortunately with the 10, I can. lol
it's more of an "in your head" thing, than a requirement to use a dedicated amp/dac these days.... most people feel that they are getting inferior sound quality and tell themselves in their head that the sound is worse, then feel "mentally relieved" after using a dedicated device, when in reality, they would have a hard time distinguishing their $1000 dac vs a decent modern player

Jun 9, 2017 at 6:23 PM Post #753 of 1,526
it's more of an "in your head" thing, than a requirement to use a dedicated amp/dac these days.... most people feel that they are getting inferior sound quality and tell themselves in their head that the sound is worse, then feel "mentally relieved" after using a dedicated device, when in reality, they would have a hard time distinguishing their $1000 dac vs a decent modern player

I've done comparisons though and was able to tell a difference. Z3 vs Walkman........Walkman one. Z3 vs. iBasso DX50...........couldn't tell a difference. And of course............Oppo HA-2 vs. X Perf...........Oppo won (won = clearer and less hiss, better instrument sep, etc). HTC 10 vs. Oppo HA-2............10 sounded as good if not better than HA-2.

Jun 9, 2017 at 6:46 PM Post #754 of 1,526
I've done comparisons though and was able to tell a difference. Z3 vs Walkman........Walkman one. Z3 vs. iBasso DX50...........couldn't tell a difference. And of course............Oppo HA-2 vs. X Perf...........Oppo won (won = clearer and less hiss, better instrument sep, etc). HTC 10 vs. Oppo HA-2............10 sounded as good if not better than HA-2.
that's why I said a decent modern device.... walkman has no dedicated dac, the cheaper walkmans are terrible, and the z3 is pretty old plus it doesn't have a dedicated dac either. ibassos don't have great dacs or anything, they are just a popular product for the brand name. The oppo and htc 10 are examples of good quality devices, and like I said, with any decent one you will not be able to tell the difference which is why the 10 sounded just as good as the oppo

Jun 15, 2017 at 12:57 AM Post #756 of 1,526

I agree that a more expensive headphone or dap is not necessarily a better one, this is a very subjective hobby. Buy what you like not what others like or dislike.

Long story short :) Tyll writes a negative review of the Z1R where he basically prefer the cheap ATH-M50 over the more expensive Z1R. This causes the traffic in the Z1R tread to explode. Then a few weeks later he writes this. Don't know why, kind of he tries to defend his review.

I don't really care what Tyll thinks about the Z1R, but something doesn't really add up here. But more than enough has already been written about this.

:)

Jun 15, 2017 at 1:12 AM Post #757 of 1,526
I agree that a more expensive headphone or dap is not necessarily a better one, this is a very subjective hobby. Buy what you like not what others like or dislike.

Long story short :) Tyll writes a negative review of the Z1R where he basically prefer the cheap ATH-M50 over the more expensive Z1R. This causes the traffic in the Z1R tread to explode. Then a few weeks later he writes this. Don't know why, kind of he tries to defend his review.

I don't really care what Tyll thinks about the Z1R, but something doesn't really add up here. But more than enough has already been written about this.

:)

I agree with that statement too stenog! I've owned pricey $600 amp/DACs or DAPs that didn't any better than ones half their price. And I've had SEVERAL experiences of buying $300-$400 headphones that didn't sound as good as my AKG K551s (or any K55X really lol) do. Audio products like these REALLY ARE an anomaly!

Haha yeah that's crazy, but I think the article explains why it happened. I tried the M50x (which is different from the M50 right?), and out of like a dozen or so (give or take) headphones I've auditioned extensively, it's like at the bottom of my list, despite the MANY great reviews it keeps constantly getting. Oh well. lol

It seems like Sony's audio products (i.e. headphones, DAPs like the Walkman series) seem to be priced way higher than they should be. I mean, I've read about people on here saying there are $400-$500 DAPs that sound better than the infamous $1200 Sony Walkman ZX2. That is a huge gap in price, yet those people swear by it. Krazy!!!!!

Jun 15, 2017 at 1:45 AM Post #758 of 1,526
I agree with that statement too stenog! I've owned pricey $600 amp/DACs or DAPs that didn't any better than ones half their price. And I've had SEVERAL experiences of buying $300-$400 headphones that didn't sound as good as my AKG K551s (or any K55X really lol) do. Audio products like these REALLY ARE an anomaly!

Haha yeah that's crazy, but I think the article explains why it happened. I tried the M50x (which is different from the M50 right?), and out of like a dozen or so (give or take) headphones I've auditioned extensively, it's like at the bottom of my list, despite the MANY great reviews it keeps constantly getting. Oh well. lol

It seems like Sony's audio products (i.e. headphones, DAPs like the Walkman series) seem to be priced way higher than they should be. I mean, I've read about people on here saying there are $400-$500 DAPs that sound better than the infamous $1200 Sony Walkman ZX2. That is a huge gap in price, yet those people swear by it. Krazy!!!!!

M50x of course :). I have never heard it, I don't know anything about it.

The Z1R is overpriced, no doubt, but that goes with many headphones and daps. The difference between my DX200 and the FiiO x5iii is very small, but the prize of the DX200 is double!! That said quality also cost money and both the DX200 and Z1R are quality products. Both will probably last forever...:)

Edit. Did you read the review of the Blue Ella, another positive review.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2017 at 6:59 PM Post #759 of 1,526
M50x of course :). I have never heard it, I don't know anything about it.

The Z1R is overpriced, no doubt, but that goes with many headphones and daps. The difference between my DX200 and the FiiO x5iii is very small, but the prize of the DX200 is double!! That said quality also cost money and both the DX200 and Z1R are quality products. Both will probably last forever...:)

Edit. Did you read the review of the Blue Ella, another positive review.

Cool. lol

Yes that is an EXCELLENT point actually that should be highlighted. You may get the same great sound quality by something cheaper, but it may not last NEARLY as long as the more expensive headphones do. Unless AKG makes it! :L3000:

I was very interested in the Ella, and still am, but I am not convinced that it's for me. At $700, it's a lot. I don't really need the on-board amp as my HTC 10 has a VERY loud built-in dedicated headphone amp already. Maybe when the price comes down I'll reconsider. I've also heard some talk about it not being comfortable. I dunno. lol

I'm currently trying these out now. But without a CUSTOM 10-Band EQ for them (which I'm currently trying to get but not being successful so far), I don't think they will outdo my AKG K551s. Though I find them to be nicer looking, a better fit and slightly MORE comfortable too b/c they're more snug (in a good way) and ear cups/pads are OVAL-shaped not circular, and b/c of that they provide a somewhat better seal than my K551s do too. Premium design, NO plastic OR glue (or parts are screwed in), walnut wood earcups provide better acoustics vs. plastic or metal, etc. I will decide soon. I am VERY picky, so yeah. LOL

Jun 16, 2017 at 9:56 PM Post #760 of 1,526
Cool. lol

Yes that is an EXCELLENT point actually that should be highlighted. You may get the same great sound quality by something cheaper, but it may not last NEARLY as long as the more expensive headphones do. Unless AKG makes it! :L3000:

I was very interested in the Ella, and still am, but I am not convinced that it's for me. At $700, it's a lot. I don't really need the on-board amp as my HTC 10 has a VERY loud built-in dedicated headphone amp already. Maybe when the price comes down I'll reconsider. I've also heard some talk about it not being comfortable. I dunno. lol

I'm currently trying these out now. But without a CUSTOM 10-Band EQ for them (which I'm currently trying to get but not being successful so far), I don't think they will outdo my AKG K551s. Though I find them to be nicer looking, a better fit and slightly MORE comfortable too b/c they're more snug (in a good way) and ear cups/pads are OVAL-shaped not circular, and b/c of that they provide a somewhat better seal than my K551s do too. Premium design, NO plastic OR glue (or parts are screwed in), walnut wood earcups provide better acoustics vs. plastic or metal, etc. I will decide soon. I am VERY picky, so yeah. LOL

I have never heard the Meze but only read good reviews and impressions about them. I think there's also a Meze 99 Neo out, they should be the same quality.

Yeah you are picky :). You have had the K551 for a long time know now, your brain knows these headphones, it will take some time to get used to a different sound and shape. I love my Z1R, but I can't live with only one pair of headphones, I need several lol.

Jun 16, 2017 at 10:10 PM Post #761 of 1,526
I have never heard the Meze but only read good reviews and impressions about them. I think there's also a Meze 99 Neo out, they should be the same quality.

Yeah you are picky :). You have had the K551 for a long time know now, your brain knows these headphones, it will take some time to get used to a different sound and shape. I love my Z1R, but I can't live with only one pair of headphones, I need several lol.

Well the Classics is the top-tier model, so I don't think the Neo is AS good but prob still very good at least.

Well I also had the K550, K550 MK II, and K553..........which ALL sound the same. But I've come to realize that I really like neutral, but maybe not completely neutral. I loved the B&O H6 2nd Gens arguably even more than the K55X headphones, but those morons made the earpads too small. So I sold them after 2 mos. Even my one buddy bought them and said the exact same thing. The Meze 99 Classics have the H6 sound, so they are contenders for beating out my K551s, but right now they are "lacking" in sound quality vs. my K551s. So unless I hear back from certain ppl (aka akg fanboy ((who suggested them to me)), and others lol) soon, I'm prob gonna just return them. Which sux b/c they look nicer, are slightly more comfortable (though my K551s are very comfortable), and have a better seal than my K551s b/c of the oval-shaped ear pads vs. circular. Plus I've read that wood (walnut) offers better acoustics than metal or plastic. But if the sound is lacking, then none of that other stuff matters. So we shall see. Having had the custom 10-Band EQ for my K551s, I now can't go back to just using "Rock" EQ presets, etc. lol

Jun 17, 2017 at 2:58 PM Post #764 of 1,526
Had a great convo with someone on xperiablog.net over last few days about Sony Mobile. Looks like VERIZON is to blame (if what he's saying is true) for Sony not giving the U.S. models a functioning FS, not selling through carriers, no VoLTE certification with T-Mobile, etc. And there's MORE too......like about the 4K on XZ Premium vs. Z5's, the OLED screen on 2018 Xperias, etc. Read on if you wish. I will update if he replies back.

Thoughts?

MrWalker1000 RockStar20053 days ago
actually for once its not Sony's fault they are not being stupid this time its a verizon deal/contract issue which will expire in 2018.

once this happens Sony will enable all those and sell their phones through US carriers which will be their most important chance to grab market share. They can't **** up this small timing window when they come back.

Which is why I think they are waiting for bigger improvments in 2018 such as new JDI oled panels for their smartphones among other innovations.

btw xz premium is always on 4k .

RockStar2005
MrWalker10002 days ago
MrWalker,

I am VERY interested in your post.

So let me get this straight, the reason why Sony is SEEMINGLY being cheap as F is b/c of a contract limitation issue that expires on January 1st, 2018?!!!!! And so in 2018 they will begin offering a fully functional FS AND VoLTE in the US (including certifying with T-Mobile)?!! Please confirm that EXACT date, and how did you find this out?!!!!!

Why was this information never publicly released before?!

I would STRONGLY consider going back to Sony if what you said was true. I would hope they'd upgrade their audio quality as well to match my current HTC 10's (which is STELLAR), but if they keep making phones like the XZ Premium with EXCELLENT battery life (per Phone Arena), then I will very likely go back. I would also hope they'd go with a metal-backed or metal-bodied phone too. Enough with the glass & plastic! I love my 10 but the battery life is HARDLY any better than my previous Xperia X Performance's was. I guess I could go back to using a portable amp/DAC again if need be.

OLED in 2018? Ok. Just as long as the display is NOT oversaturated like SamDUNG's is! lol

Always on 4K? Really? Please also explain where you found that out.

Please answer ALL questions!

You da man! lol

MrWalker1000
RockStar200512 hours ago
I don't have exact information on this I heard from someone else that the Verizon contract is due in 2018 which means fingerprint scanner will work on US as well as actually having their phones sell in 2018 through carriers. This isn't 100 percent though... but its very likely this is a Verizon issue with the z4 model which they pulled out of and had Verizon screw up. this is pretty likely if you ask me.

Second, the 4k screen is always on according to tech radar and phonearena or gsm. IT does not render 4k like the z5 premium according to them.

HTC has so much potential they terrible use of space and their removal of the headphone jack kills it for me. I would buy htc11 over iPhone 7 don't get me wrong , but they make some dumb moves even though u11 is an impressive phone.

THe XZ premium is the best phone sony has released that has actually strived to make improvements since the z3.

Also, OLED is likely to come out in 2018. it will not be Samsung technology, it will OLED made in japan under JDI technology it will be a different beast from Samsung no pentile arrangement bullcrap. It will be Japanese technology researched by JDi and laboratory. The first iteration might not be perfect but I'm interesting in sony ifa 2017 for a smaller handset since I don't like phablet xz premium. and if they don't come to the US once again I hope they advertise and fix all their screw-ups.

RockStar2005
MrWalker100042 minutes ago
VERY interesting MrWalker!!!!!!!!

So all this time it's been because of Verizon that the U.S. Xperia phones didn't get a fingerprint scanner AND VoLTE certification with T-Mobile?!!

Well see the Z4 thing I blame on Sony, NOT Verizon. It's Sony's fault for releasing TWO flagships OF THE SAME MODEL twice a year, which I will always say is dumb. I don't care what their Japanese customers said in some survey............selling the SAME MODEL flagship twice a year is a waste of money. You don't even get excited for the new one b/c the last one is only about 6 mos old! lol They need to stop doing that. But yeah, Z5 release got TOO close and so Verizon said F the Z4. I don't blame them. I would've done the same thing. But I had NO idea there was a contract in place that's been keeping Sony Mobile's hands tied. I REALLY hope everything you're saying turns out to be true. It will make a BIG difference for Sony Mobile here in the U.S. if it is. Their Xperia sales have plummeted since they stopped selling through carriers, and it was only T-Mobile and Verizon. No AT&T or Sprint.

That's incredible!!!! Phone Arena gave the phone an "Excellent" battery life rating, and that's even with the 4K always being on too then! Insanity! lol

Yeah, it sure sounds like it! Esp with regards to battery life vs. the Z3. I agree there that it's been the best so far in terms of improvements since the Z3.

NOT like Samsung's? Nice! lol Yeah I don't like phablets either. Yes, advertise and fix your screw-ups. Perfectly said.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2017 at 6:29 PM Post #765 of 1,526

how is the z1r is it worth the price tag. i heard you need quality eletronics to play with those headphones.
--
http://www.gsmarena.com/apple_granted_patent_for_fingerprint_reader_on_the_power_key-news-25582.php

Users who are viewing this thread

Back