Sony/B&W/HTC/AKG/Sennheiser/MISC Thread
May 5, 2017 at 2:06 AM Post #634 of 1,526
But to be serious, I am a speaker fanatic now, headphones just seem absurd after trying some high end bookshelf speakers, the soundstage is not even comparable, my kefs get 99% of my music

High-end bookshelf speakers? Sounds like fun!

Like what brands you use or like? What are Kefs' full name? So you're done with AKG for good?? Say it ain't so akg!!! lol

May 5, 2017 at 5:42 AM Post #635 of 1,526
High-end bookshelf speakers? Sounds like fun!

Like what brands you use or like? What are Kefs' full name? So you're done with AKG for good?? Say it ain't so akg!!! lol

kefs full name is......... kef LOL. The speakers I use are called kef q100 which are probably the best bookshelves you can get under $500, they have a very similar sound signature to AKG actually, it's like the spiritual relative of AKG for speakers lol. Forward mids, forward upper mids, detailed treble, and neutral bass. Just like bass heads will complain that akg has no bass, bass heads also complain about speakers needing a sub 100% of the time. I'm not literally done with akg, I will look forward to whatever products they release in the future and the mysphere 3.1 (not akg), but the chances of me BUYING another headphone are very slim.

The only advantage headphones have is more precise imaging which works for gaming, otherwise there is literally no advantages sound wise that a headphone has. Headphones simply do not have soundstage, all headphones in existence have "headstage" and it will never sound "life-like", meaning every sound is stuck between your head and the headphone you are wearing. Even the almighty hd800 has a tiny soundstage in comparison, the best headphone soundstage is literally the LOWEST I am willing to go which means hd800 stays for gaming, everything else goes

Last edited:
May 5, 2017 at 11:39 AM Post #636 of 1,526
kefs full name is......... kef LOL. The speakers I use are called kef q100 which are probably the best bookshelves you can get under $500, they have a very similar sound signature to AKG actually, it's like the spiritual relative of AKG for speakers lol. Forward mids, forward upper mids, detailed treble, and neutral bass. Just like bass heads will complain that akg has no bass, bass heads also complain about speakers needing a sub 100% of the time. I'm not literally done with akg, I will look forward to whatever products they release in the future and the mysphere 3.1 (not akg), but the chances of me BUYING another headphone are very slim.

The only advantage headphones have is more precise imaging which works for gaming, otherwise there is literally no advantages sound wise that a headphone has. Headphones simply do not have soundstage, all headphones in existence have "headstage" and it will never sound "life-like", meaning every sound is stuck between your head and the headphone you are wearing. Even the almighty hd800 has a tiny soundstage in comparison, the best headphone soundstage is literally the LOWEST I am willing to go which means hd800 stays for gaming, everything else goes

Ahh ok. lol Just saw this article about their new line of speakers too on Flipboard. They look pretty sweet!

The spirit of AKG eh? Interesting. I definitely like the sound of that! :beerchug:

Ok. Well as long as you're happy! lol I took a quick look at the Kef Q100 in Black Oak. They look awesome too! And very well-rated by customers (5/5 stars average on Amazon).

I got a surround sound system in my living room, so I definitely appreciate great speakers. I got a Denon AVR-1612 receiver and the Energy Take Class 5.1 surround sound speaker system. I love the Piano Black finish on the speakers, and they look cool with the front cover on or off (I leave it on). The subwoofer has a dedicated power supply which I liked too. Bought it 5 years ago around now for about $750 I believe (both). After having some cheaper ones that weren't so great, I can say this was DEFINITELY a noticeable improvement, so it stayed. lol

I see. Yeah I know what you mean, but I love the "intimacy with the music" that comes from listening on headphones, but I also own some great concerts on blu-ray and have played them on my surround sound set up, and it DOES sound incredible! So I guess I see both sides of the coin there.

May 6, 2017 at 12:52 PM Post #637 of 1,526
Ahh ok. lol Just saw this article about their new line of speakers too on Flipboard. They look pretty sweet!

The spirit of AKG eh? Interesting. I definitely like the sound of that! :beerchug:

Ok. Well as long as you're happy! lol I took a quick look at the Kef Q100 in Black Oak. They look awesome too! And very well-rated by customers (5/5 stars average on Amazon).

I got a surround sound system in my living room, so I definitely appreciate great speakers. I got a Denon AVR-1612 receiver and the Energy Take Class 5.1 surround sound speaker system. I love the Piano Black finish on the speakers, and they look cool with the front cover on or off (I leave it on). The subwoofer has a dedicated power supply which I liked too. Bought it 5 years ago around now for about $750 I believe (both). After having some cheaper ones that weren't so great, I can say this was DEFINITELY a noticeable improvement, so it stayed. lol

I see. Yeah I know what you mean, but I love the "intimacy with the music" that comes from listening on headphones, but I also own some great concerts on blu-ray and have played them on my surround sound set up, and it DOES sound incredible! So I guess I see both sides of the coin there.

damnit, NOW you show me? It's all your fault, jk lol. Now the kef q100 are on sale for $300 brand new so I would pick that up ASAP if I were you. I bet the change is not very drastic, and their flagship bookshelf sized is still the kef ls50 so that's still my "endgame" speaker I'm looking at. But I am very interested in seeing what exactly they changed and if the sound signature is still the same.

I'm not a fan of the whole surround setup, for me, it's just about 2 channel audio. Maybe it's different if you watch movies and watch a lot of concerts on it but I use my speakers for 90% music and metal music :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Hey, if you enjoy the intimate sound of headphones so much, then how come you are always on a quest for good headphones that have a large SOUNDSTAGE

May 6, 2017 at 1:20 PM Post #638 of 1,526
damnit, NOW you show me? It's all your fault, jk lol. Now the kef q100 are on sale for $300 brand new so I would pick that up ASAP if I were you. I bet the change is not very drastic, and their flagship bookshelf sized is still the kef ls50 so that's still my "endgame" speaker I'm looking at. But I am very interested in seeing what exactly they changed and if the sound signature is still the same.

I'm not a fan of the whole surround setup, for me, it's just about 2 channel audio. Maybe it's different if you watch movies and watch a lot of concerts on it but I use my speakers for 90% music and metal music :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Hey, if you enjoy the intimate sound of headphones so much, then how come you are always on a quest for good headphones that have a large SOUNDSTAGE

Hahaha.......wooopss!!

I really have no need or desire for more speakers though, even though I think they look really cool! I LOVE my Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers........... they can handle pretty much ANYTHING thrown their way with surgical precision. But I'll keep KEF in mind! lol :L3000:

Yeah you should research it and find out. I'm sure it'll make you better understand what you care most about and what isn't as important to you.

I love both. I think a good 2-channel stereo setup can be amazing, like from a really great soundbar (and subwoofer). Some of the best ones do a REALLY great job of mimicking a 5.1 setup too IMO. Well to me whether it's a concert I'm WATCHING vs. an audio-only disc I'm LISTENING to only, I still want it to sound balanced.

Because it's the best of both worlds to me akg. lol I have grown to REALLY loved headphones because I feel like (to me!) it's the most intimate way of enjoying music. Having the bigger soundstage adds to that by pushing the boundaries but still KEEPING IT intimate. There are times I'm listening to music on my K551s and for a few moments I honestly forget where I am (thanks in part to your KILLER Custom EQ! :k701smile:). I NEVER feel quite that way when I'm listening to music in my car or even on my 5.1. Maybe part of that is because I'm sitting and not going anywhere like I am in a car or at a rock concert where you're moving or shifting around, talking to friends, checking out the rest of the crowd (including all the hot girls LOL:beerchug:), etc. That doesn't mean I don't experience some INCREDIBLE feelings while at a concert or even in my car. There are memories I have from certain concerts that NO headphone could ever have given me (i.e., a "you had to be there" experience, which is why I implore you to see some bands live sooner than later! lol) I guess it's just more pure to me on headphones because with them there are no real distractions. Hope that made sense. lol

If you ever come to Chicago akg, you MUST check out a concert at Jay Pritzker Pavilion @ Millennium Park in downtown. I saw Band of Horses and My Morning Jacket there about 5 years ago summertime. Awesome show! They have a REALLY unique "surround sound speaker 'mesh' system" setup that is pretty awesome. See ALL pics here. It looks even MORE amazing at night. 2.1? 5.1?! Try 52.1! LOL (See "trellis effect" and "defines the space" sections here.)

Last edited:
May 22, 2017 at 2:37 PM Post #644 of 1,526
Meh, mp3 should have died a long time ago. AAC might be better, but the future should be in ogg vorbis which is on par yet open source and free.

I've heard of ogg vorbis, but aside from that f'ing weird ass name lol, I don't see it come up very often, where AAC is everywhere (thanks in big part to Apple & iTunes lol). Downsampling my Hi-Res and CDQ tracks from FLAC/ALAC to AAC has been a BIG plus for me b/c it gives me WAYYY more storage room for my music than I had before when I was storing them as FLAC/ALAC. Plus b/c those formats are bigger they require more power from your phone to play them. So AAC represents a major win-win for me. lol

May 23, 2017 at 9:50 PM Post #645 of 1,526
Per Phone Arena, looks like Sony may ACTUALLY have made a comeback on the battery life front? It even beat out the S8+!

ScreenShot001.jpg

Now only if they'd 1) ALSO make a comeback with audio quality to compete with the HTC 10 2) Not put glass on the back lol 3) Certify VoLTE with T-Mobile!!!......I might reconsider going back to them! I definitely like the IP68 rating, 4K HDR screen sounds cool (although I don't think you'd get 4K HDR on ALL content??), ROUNDED corners on front are MONEY.........very nice and classy all around. Plus of course front-facing STEREO speakers, the way mother nature intended. lol

The audio quality "comeback" is a possibility per this review, though I'd need and would prefer input from people on here or anyone "reputable". lol Plus even if the DAC is high quality, the headphone amp still appears to be weak from what I'd see on Phone Arena......0.36 volts vs. HTC 10's 0.95 volts (though another site rated the 10's headphone amp at 1.009 volts).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back