SONY A845 Volume Capped - SOLUTION?
Apr 23, 2010 at 12:15 PM Post #3 of 12
Hi,

Absolutely sure. Bought it in Portugal. At 30 volume is still not loud enough for my taste (AVLS set to off). I'm acostummed to my Cowon S9 (not capped) at volume 24/25, which is much louder than this. The question is that I can't hear the same highs and bass as I do with the Cowon, due to the "relatively" low volume. And I know the A845 would deliver. Sound is very good, I can feel that, but I would need a bit more volume to could compare it to the Cowon. Due to the higher volume, Cowon's has twice the impact.

It's impoprtant to say that highs, bass, soundstage, instrument separation, etc, are as good as Cowon's. It's just the low volume that is limiting Sony's sound impact. A shame...

May 31, 2010 at 4:48 AM Post #7 of 12
turn on dynamic normalizer

May 31, 2010 at 3:23 PM Post #8 of 12
Sorry to say that dynamic normaliser almost certainly won't fix things... What that does is to make it that quiet parts are louder, and louder parts quieter, so as to make a "flatter" (in terms of volume spikes / peaks) less intrusive sound, less likely to blow your ears apart if you are, let's say, someone who is into opera or classical...

I wonder if there is a way to disable volume limiting in the service menus how there has been in the past??

Jun 1, 2010 at 4:38 AM Post #9 of 12
oh=) thank you =) I noticed that sometimes it increases volume greatly =) so i suggested this feature.

Mine is loud also. approximately at 15-20 is loud enough even to block outside noise

May 27, 2011 at 4:23 PM Post #10 of 12
the A845 is definitely quieter than previous Sony Models..

the difference is about 4-5 levels.

if I am using 15/40 on the A845 it is 10/40 on the NWZ 639 (easy listening)

and if I am using 25/40 on the A845 it is 15/40 on the NWZ 639(Rock out Mode)

the restriction on the 845 is at 19/40

so, I do listen to music pretty loud but it could be worse.

May 28, 2011 at 12:54 PM Post #11 of 12
Seriously, I have seen a lot of people asking about this. I have bought my A845 in Portugal as well, and I use 10/30 with the stock IEMs. es, the darned thing is capped, but the maximum volume is more than enough to pierce through normal eardrums. I am serious, why do people complaint so much?

Either you have headphones with a very high impedance, thus creating a big imp. mismatch, in which case more volume would still not solve the problem, since it would still degrade the sound quality;

Or you have low-sensitivity headphones, in which case I'm sorry, but an amp would be needed just like in the case above;

Or, as I suspect, you got used to loud volumes, which is kind of ironic if you're using an active noise-cancelling DAP, and have hearing problems, in which case I would recommend a doctor and not an amp or a different DAP.

I am not exaggerating when I say that volume 30 on my capped A845 with the stock IEMs would literally hurt my ears.

May 28, 2011 at 1:05 PM Post #12 of 12
There is no current solution to the volume cap - the service menu is locked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back