Sony a81x s61x...Faulty?
Apr 2, 2008 at 4:00 PM Post #16 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShinyFalcon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With the C700s I never go past 15 anyways. As long as you don't listen above 20, you won't run into problems.

It's impossible to go past 20 with the Denons without risking instant deafness
biggrin.gif

Apr 3, 2008 at 2:04 AM Post #17 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's impossible to go past 20 with the Denons without risking instant deafness
biggrin.gif

I really like such comments, I'm gonna try them ASAP!

Btw, the stock 'phones do isolate REALLY bad, so I need to turn up the volume in order to achieve some kind of active noise-canceling.
rolleyes.gif

When I'm in a quiet place(like home, park, etc.) I listen to much lower levels - typically between 5 and 12. Sometimes even 2-3. LOL I have helluva dynamic range!
biggrin.gif
(sometimes I even hear bats squeaking, not to mention the draft n MIMO WiFi, but thats a different theme
biggrin.gif
)

Apr 4, 2008 at 1:18 AM Post #18 of 33
Thanks for all the informative posts guys!

I stand corrected, its not a bug in the firmware as I can gather from posts by users such as yourselves.

I decided to go w/ the 728 anyways but this thread was extremely informative.

Keep up the good work guys!
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 4, 2008 at 12:18 PM Post #19 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by toxicsweet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really like such comments, I'm gonna try them ASAP!

Btw, the stock 'phones do isolate REALLY bad, so I need to turn up the volume in order to achieve some kind of active noise-canceling.
rolleyes.gif

When I'm in a quiet place(like home, park, etc.) I listen to much lower levels - typically between 5 and 12. Sometimes even 2-3. LOL I have helluva dynamic range!
biggrin.gif
(sometimes I even hear bats squeaking, not to mention the draft n MIMO WiFi, but thats a different theme
biggrin.gif
)

Not to say the E082s are better than the C700s, because of course they are not. But I stuck some Comply T400 foamies on the Sony stocks buds, and isolation is appreciably better. These are the new Comply tips with the large sound tubes for canalphones like the Sony, CX300, C700, etc. - any phone with the really large sound tubes (in circumference). I heard from someone at Comply they are going to change the T400s to be more of the same size width-wise as their short sleeve, which is a little thicker, so they iso could be even better. Anyone looking for a foamie solution for a canalphone should try the Comply (though HeadPhoneAddict says they feel like they are going to fall off the C700s, and would rather force the orange Shure foamies on his phones). Just a suggestion.

Apr 12, 2008 at 6:42 PM Post #20 of 33
Hmm, I had the same issue with my cassette walkman about, lets say 10 years ago
smily_headphones1.gif
With dolby b and mega bass engaged the volume would go up and down.
It only happened occasionally though so I didn't care that much. Well, it seems that some things never change.

BTW, waiting for my 728 to arrive, I think I already know what to expect
wink.gif

Apr 12, 2008 at 7:03 PM Post #21 of 33
Jeez,how can you listen to the player so loud ?
eek.gif
.I've just purchased the 816 and with my EX-90's I can only get to about 17 and with Super5. Pro's about 14.Any louder and it's TOO loud.Other than that it's an awesome little player.
icon10.gif

Apr 13, 2008 at 6:06 AM Post #22 of 33
I am reading this thread and am really surprised at the volumes being listened to.

I use future sonics IEMs and at home, I can't go over volume 5 and when on the bus, a max of 9! Anything louder than this on my S616F is just too loud!

Apr 13, 2008 at 9:27 AM Post #23 of 33
Its all about the isolation you are getting. If you have a good seal and isolation you'll listen to low volumes. If you've bad isolating earphones and are in a noisy environment you listen to higher volumes. Add in some variance for peoples hearing, type of music, and I'm not surprised at the different volumes.

Are the EU ones capped I wonder?

Apr 13, 2008 at 10:48 AM Post #24 of 33
True, but just a couple notches makes a ton of difference. These guys are pushing nearly max volume with IEMs or headphones, made for listening at lower volumes. There's no way that's good for your ears.

I'd suggest turning the volume limiter on and listen at that volume for a while, gradually moving down to the single digits. The ears will adjust to it over time. Go back to whatever volume you used to use and it'll sound ridiculously loud.

Apr 13, 2008 at 11:19 AM Post #25 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
True, but just a couple notches makes a ton of difference. These guys are pushing nearly max volume with IEMs or headphones, made for listening at lower volumes. There's no way that's good for your ears.

I'd suggest turning the volume limiter on and listen at that volume for a while, gradually moving down to the single digits. The ears will adjust to it over time. Go back to whatever volume you used to use and it'll sound ridiculously loud.

True. But when I'm accustomed to the like 100db noise around me, and I put the 'phones, I kinda don't hear very much of the music playing at 12-15. The noise is just TOO loud and its impossible to hear the music properly. For comparison, try watching Transformers in a cinema and before the end of the movie put your 'phones in your ears and try listening to 12 with the lacking isolation of the EX082s.

Btw, EU versions are NOT capped, I'm in the EU and my A818 has limiter, but it wasn't on when I bought the player(AFAIR).

Apr 13, 2008 at 11:35 AM Post #26 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by toxicsweet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Btw, EU versions are NOT capped, I'm in the EU and my A818 has limiter, but it wasn't on when I bought the player(AFAIR).

The 'limiter' is the AVLS feature in the settings which stops the volume going over about 50%. But it can be switched off. It's not the same as 'volume capping' which is much more long-winded and normally means entering the service menu somehow and disabling it from there (like on the NW-HD5 for example).

As for the EX82 earphones - while they're nice in a 100% quiet environment, they're pretty useless anywhere that has background noise. When I used them on the tube, I was up to almost full volume, since the isolation is very weak. But the design of them means they're not going to isolate much at all as they sit at the entrance of the ear, and you can't 'shove' them in!

With the Denon C700s, I find 18/30 is fine on the train, but I have the Dynamic Normalizer switched on, and it really gives a 4-notch hike in volume. It's suprising how much louder it is when it's enabled.

Apr 14, 2008 at 12:02 AM Post #27 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by navmau /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am reading this thread and am really surprised at the volumes being listened to.

I use future sonics IEMs and at home, I can't go over volume 5 and when on the bus, a max of 9! Anything louder than this on my S616F is just too loud!

Try plugging in a pair of high impedance phones (like 90+) and then you'll see what we're talking about. The Altec Lansing IM716's are rated 91 on HD mode and anything below 15 is barely audible in a normal city environment.

Apr 15, 2008 at 6:43 PM Post #28 of 33
Quote:

The 'limiter' is the AVLS feature in the settings which stops the volume going over about 50%. But it can be switched off. It's not the same as 'volume capping' which is much more long-winded and normally means entering the service menu somehow and disabling it from there (like on the NW-HD5 for example).

Didn't know about that. Can you give me some further information? How to do that? (Btw, I think my A818 is made for the Russian market, as there are things written in Russian on the package. Do Sony limit the volume of the players for Russia?)

Quote:

With the Denon C700s, I find 18/30 is fine on the train, but I have the Dynamic Normalizer switched on, and it really gives a 4-notch hike in volume. It's suprising how much louder it is when it's enabled.

I found that Dynamic Normalizer is useful for using outdoors BUT(and thats a big BUT) it DOES distort some kinds of music. I was listening at home, volume was around 10, and I noticed pretty obvious distortion when playing squeaky female vocals(Delta Goodrem for example), as well as violins. Also, the sound is kinda disbalanced when using DN. I'll definitely use it only outside and with certain types of music. Thats its point, after all.

Apr 24, 2008 at 1:21 AM Post #29 of 33
I use my sony 618 with Denon C551 at around a setting of 6 at home with flat EQ. Don't imagine i'll be going over 10 when outdoors (just got the phones).
Don't know exactly, but that dynamic normalizer thing sounds weird to me. Music is supposed to have louder and quieter parts. Messing with that seems wrong to me. :-D

Apr 24, 2008 at 9:02 AM Post #30 of 33
It is wrong, of course, but its the only way you can hear the quiet parts when roaming outside with cars and kids around. Thats the other reason I think DN is not a panacea and has to be used only outdoors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back