Sony A818 or Cowon iAudio 7
Dec 11, 2007 at 5:41 AM Post #16 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, great choice...here's mine.

IMG_1242.jpg

Beautiful piece of equipment there GreatDane..
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 11, 2007 at 7:25 AM Post #17 of 68
Nice < 5 sec instant on! My MMP8640 takes atleast 30 sec to be "on" and ready.

Lately I've been listening to my old iRiver iFP-395T, it too is <5 sec instant on, and sounds MUCH better than the MMP8640.

When you guys/gals say its 'cold' sounding...is that the opposite of warm/dark, like some Senn cans? Is cold sounding like Grado cans, bright not alot of lowend bass?

Dec 11, 2007 at 8:38 AM Post #18 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by LTC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is not true, I have heard the Iaudio, and the sound was really detailed, maybe so detailed you would call it metallic and cold but its not, the sound can be really warm, and smooth, but also soooo detailed, and right on.

Yeah, the i7, D2, etc. are "precise" players, but the sound can be molded pretty handily for most listening needs, IMHO. No player is the end-all, be-all device for every combination of musical tastes, hearing, phones, source quality reproduction + enhancement . . . but, when you hear the music as it pretty much really is through a D2 (very similar SQ to an i7), that's an easier starting point to find your preferred enhancement to the raw sound, I feel.

If I didn't care about expandability or touchscreen UI (with all that entails) the i7 8GB or 16GB would easily be in my top 3 for a portable player . . . which could also drive my car's head unit.

- wader

Dec 11, 2007 at 11:06 PM Post #19 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by frozncore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How thick is the iAudio7?

I don't know if you saw my impressions thread from a while back but here it is in case you're interested in reading more comments.

The size of the i7 is 1.3 X 2.9 X 0.7 inch (Width x Length x Thickness)...from the specs given at the Cowon site.

Dec 16, 2007 at 12:28 AM Post #20 of 68
This thread is great - I have been thinking about the Sony 618 and the iAudio 7 (now in 16Gig), and after reading all of this and other threads on both products, I am "about" to pull the trigger on the iAudio
biggrin.gif

EDIT: I just ordered the 16Gig version
biggrin.gif

Dec 16, 2007 at 8:36 AM Post #23 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by JonathanHF /img/forum/go_quote.gif
never heard Sony A818, but I've owned D2 before.
The sound quality of D2 is not bad, but the tonality for me is really bad.
I spent hours adjusting the EQ and sound effect. NONE of them sound right to me. I won't recommend iaudio 7 if it's SQ is same as D2.

what about it sounded odd/different/bad for you?

Dec 16, 2007 at 11:11 PM Post #24 of 68
All EQ off with BEE 1 is ok though. But the vocal of any song sound thin and muddy(not much, but it is comparing to my PC, PSP, and Kenwood HD20GA7).
What I was trying to do is to improve the bass and vocal part by adjusting the EQ and sound effect, but D2 just cannot give me the "original sound" of any song. In the other word, it is artificial, dry, and fake.
However, I believe that there's still some people like D2's sound, but after
hearing Sony and Kenwood player, they won't look back for Cowon.

Dec 17, 2007 at 12:07 AM Post #25 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by JonathanHF /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All EQ off with BEE 1 is ok though. But the vocal of any song sound thin and muddy(not much, but it is comparing to my PC, PSP, and Kenwood HD20GA7).
What I was trying to do is to improve the bass and vocal part by adjusting the EQ and sound effect, but D2 just cannot give me the "original sound" of any song. In the other word, it is artificial, dry, and fake.
However, I believe that there's still some people like D2's sound, but after
hearing Sony and Kenwood player, they won't look back for Cowon.

Thanks much - this helps me set some idea of what to expect and what to look for on my incoming 16Gig iAudio7. Now that I have decent in-the-ear monitors (Triple 10's), I can better judge SQ between different sources. However, right now my only point of reference is a 2nd gen 8Gig Nano, so I don't know if the Nano sound (which sounds OK) is actually good or bad compared to others.

The Sony is definitely getting excellent reviews on the SQ department, but the larger memory, file transfer mode, and multiple file type support convinced me to try the Cowon. I guess that is what makes this "hobby" so expensive - trying different things in order to find something that sounds good to each of us, specially since all of us have a slightly different idea of what "good" should be like
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 17, 2007 at 12:24 AM Post #26 of 68
I currently have an iAudio7 and am completely satisfied with it.

But all this talk makes me want to try out the new Sony players. However, I was already debating whether to start building up a computer rig or go with a Kenwood dap!!

</3 head-fi

Dec 17, 2007 at 3:44 AM Post #27 of 68
I recently borrowed a Sony CD player from my friend and was amazed by
how rich, full, and huge soundstage the player can produce.
Comparing to my HD20GA7, the Sony CD has "slightly" more treble and deeper
bass, but HD20GA7 is more neutral. However, they both sound as good as each other.

Actually iaudio has some cool features, which I believe their MP3 players have
the most sound effect choices that can be played with.
For those who wants more original and probably HIFI sound, Kenwood would be the best choice I've heard so far.

I just ordered Sony A818 because my HD20GA7 was stolen. I hope Sony MP3 players have the SQ of its CD players. Can't Wait!

Dec 17, 2007 at 4:52 AM Post #28 of 68
I just bought then new Sony NWZ-S616F (similar to A818) and comparing it to Meizu M6 and Iaudio U3 I had ... Sony has that awsome soundstage. BUTTTTTTT, it is not loud enough. Yes, the volume is from 1 to 30 and you can go only till like 24 and after that there is no increase in sound. One more thing I didnt like in Sony daps is that YES, THE BASS IS CLEAR ... BUT, you cant really turn on the sound that much to try the limits on the bass. I had many bass heavy songs and when I'd be listening to them, the sound will instantly decrease as soon as the bass kicks in. As soon as the bass part goes away, the sound will go back up. Just HATED THAT. On Meizu and Iaudio, you can feel the headphones pounding but not in sony.

That being said ... I really loved the sound stage on Sony daps and yes, after comparing Sony, Meizu and Iaudio U3 ... Meizu and Iaudio feeld cold but not that much. I havent try that, but I think using an external amp with Sony Daps will create just awsome listening experience !!!

Dec 17, 2007 at 5:14 AM Post #29 of 68
How does the output work on these? In other words, if you are connecting to an amp do you have to use the headphone out? Is there any line out possibility? I like both players, but would use them with an amp if possible and in particular with a line out.

Dec 17, 2007 at 9:12 AM Post #30 of 68
AFAIK, they only have HP out, no lineout.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back