sony 7506, break in?
Mar 18, 2002 at 8:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

meme4me

New Head-Fier
Hi just got my new 7506 today, can't say anything from experience cos never owned a $100+ set of cans before, however as one would imagine it sounds heaps better than the crappy earbuds and other crap closed cans.

Knowing that playing mp3s probably is pointless to test the potential of 7506, i got myself some cds and listened to them with my 7506, the result? distortions of heavy bass, sort of like hiss sound. Is that normal? should I break in my cans more?

Mar 18, 2002 at 8:41 AM Post #2 of 7
I would say that what you are describing is not normal, although I don't have any experience with them myself to back that up. From what I hear about these headphones though, and knowing the people here, they wouldn't put up with them if this were normal. What is your source? If you are driving them from a bad cd player or even worse, a bad sound card, that could explain some of the distortion.

Driftwood

Mar 18, 2002 at 8:48 AM Post #3 of 7
Yeah thats why im concerned, its not that bad, only noticeable when playing on a sony discman at max volume.

BTW. I cant really rule out the possibility that the distortion is from the original cd though, what do ppl use to test out their headphones? (i was using trance music heheh)

Mar 18, 2002 at 10:47 AM Post #4 of 7
A hiss generally indicates a source problem. Since you mentioned you only hear it when you have the discman at max volume, you are likely hearing flaws in the original recording, assuming the master was an analog tape. If the amp is old or underpowered, driving it at max volume could be bringing noise floor problems. If you are using a wall wart, you could be hearing EMI hash from your power lines, or if from batteries your batteries could be getting low.

Pick one or none of the above.

Mar 18, 2002 at 10:55 AM Post #5 of 7
Hi thanks for the info, I think it might be the original cd or the discman not having enough amp & produces distortion.

I will see if i can connect it to a decent source with decent amp.

thanks

Mar 18, 2002 at 11:30 AM Post #6 of 7
hi just reporting back after auditioning the 7506 on a decent sony stereo, no problem with distortion whatsoever, even at max unbearable volume (i think i heard cracking sounds, but that was probably my ear drums)

So the problem appears to be the amp on the discman was insufficient, causing distortion at high volumes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back