Sony 3K or Senn 600 or Senn 650?
Sep 23, 2003 at 6:18 PM Post #106 of 225
fewtech, I believe your post was aimed at me?
wink.gif

Ok, I would just say, if you like your hd600 the way it is , fine. They're by no means a lousy headphone. Infact I used to really love them quite sometime ago. But after trying out so many cans like grados , beyers and the others I just couldn't get used to the sennheiser sound anymore. They're too laid back to my taste . Note that I don't listen to classical, chambers and stuffs so I do not know if the performance is supposed to be that 'laid back'. All I listen to is pop, alternative, rock and some ballads. All I care for is about being upfront there together with the performer, as though they are singing just for me and not for the whole audience
very_evil_smiley.gif

This is not the kind of feeling that I get with the hd600.. I guess this is how I would describe intimate, in my own words
wink.gif
. Of course I still do enjoy the sound of hd600 for my type of music, but just that there are a lot of headphones out there that can do it better. Eg, for me: beyer dt880 , cd3000, grados 225 325 to rs-1 .
To the threadstarter .. if you're stuck in this war.. I guess you have 1 more alternative. That is, to order the sony cd3000 and live with it for a while. If you don't like them, you can always sell them. Their price is quite standard. Above 300 for mint condition, as such you won't lose much in the process. Then after that you can try the hd600. The reason why I won' recommend the senn first is that because they don't hold their resale value very high(due to their availability). Of course, I also want you to become a sony cd3k fans
tongue.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 23, 2003 at 6:21 PM Post #107 of 225
Quote:

Originally posted by fewtch
I find it hard to believe people are talking about "not upfront" as if it were a flaw. The Senn HD580/600 sound (to my ears) is detailed, natural, spacious, huge... there's a normal/natural sense of distance one would get from being at a performance. "Upfront" is a quality that can be had with nearly any other headphone, even dirt cheap ones. You can get it in stock earbuds that come with PCDPs, so I hardly think it's a flaw when a pair of cans actually manages to get the sound out of the middle of one's head. This is "distant" or "not intimate" because the band isn't playing inside my head?
confused.gif

because you are listening to speakers, but that are right next to the ear, the sound should be more upfront, naturaly, because the sound is close to you. i guess that some people don't find the reason why they choose headphones with the senns.
personaly, i like space, and more laid back presentation. i would dare to say that because of the huge soundstage, the CD3000 can be more laid back then the senns (which aren't here to compare), and it's just the upper frequencies cutting through better. i like it very much - i enjoy the details, yet i'm in distance from the performance to relax into the music. i think i'm getting the best from both worlds in here - and that shows in my enjoyment (damn, i didn't listen to them much today because of head-fi...)
too much stimulation, like what people are refering to the grado sound, might be fatiguing for long sessions, at least for me. that's why i started with senns, not grados. but i'll go to audition that RS-1/RA-1 combo in jerusalem soon..

another thing to add, is that "laid back" is not a definition you can add to all music as one. each headphone has its laid back instruments and more upfront instruments order in the soundstage, and overall distribution.
for example - listen to the drums with the HD600 - the snare can hurt your ears, but the low kick is very laid back. the HD600 shows weird and alien soundstage to my ears, in which there's not much of a good order, balance, and overall fidelity.

Sep 23, 2003 at 6:28 PM Post #108 of 225
Quote:

Originally posted by bangraman
There's a very simple way to stop this kind of thread.

People who have HD580/600 and have not owned a CD3K and are in this thread, instead of procrastinating like this, buy a CD3K. If not, then stop comparing them!!!!

That's a very valid point. Not discrediting people's opinion, but if you've only heard one or the other it's not very appropriate to do a comparison based on "what you read." Everyone have the right to express their opinion but if you can just include your experience with these cans then fellow head-fier can sort through this more easily.

And this is not a I am better than you I own/heard more headphones thing, it's just more relevant if you have tried both cans.

Sep 23, 2003 at 6:33 PM Post #110 of 225
sorry to be out of the topic, but that it a very cute doggy you got for your avatar, habib!
is it yours?
smily_headphones1.gif
everytime i look at it, that juice in the brain that's responsible for caring for little cute beings just flows instantly
tongue.gif

that doesn't happen to me much from photos...

Sep 23, 2003 at 6:57 PM Post #111 of 225
I have not had any signifcant experience with the HD 600's, but I have had a lot of experience with the HD580's (own a pair) as well as the Sony CD3k's, and I prefer the CD3k's much more than the Senn's, the transparency is absolutley superb and the detail is even better than the Senn's. So I would reccomend buying the Cd3k's for $400, rather than the HD600's for $280 + necessary upgrade cables for about $150.

Sep 23, 2003 at 7:11 PM Post #112 of 225
Schizorabbit,
you hold these world based on your Supra?
what are your music tastes?

Sep 23, 2003 at 7:19 PM Post #113 of 225
Quote:

Originally posted by AdamZuf
sorry to be out of the topic, but that it a very cute doggy you got for your avatar, habib!
is it yours?
smily_headphones1.gif
everytime i look at it, that juice in the brain that's responsible for caring for little cute beings just flows instantly
tongue.gif

that doesn't happen to me much from photos...

I was told that the doggie looks high. I think it's just yawning, or maybe it's mellow cuz it just smoked pot
rolleyes.gif
No, it's not my dog, I wish I have a pothead dog like this...

"Hey dawg, wanna hit this?"

Sep 23, 2003 at 7:35 PM Post #114 of 225
LOL!
"no, i already did 2, now i have flashes in my eyes.. "

ok, back to the topic
biggrin.gif

Sep 23, 2003 at 7:36 PM Post #115 of 225
Quote:

Originally posted by Schizorabbit
I have not had any signifcant experience with the HD 600's, but I have had a lot of experience with the HD580's (own a pair) as well as the Sony CD3k's, and I prefer the CD3k's much more than the Senn's, the transparency is absolutley superb and the detail is even better than the Senn's. So I would reccomend buying the Cd3k's for $400, rather than the HD600's for $280 + necessary upgrade cables for about $150.

right on...
biggrin.gif

Sep 23, 2003 at 8:18 PM Post #116 of 225
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF
What I said was that the street price of a new, authorized pair of CD 3000 is almost twice that of a stock pair of new, authorized HD 600." In my experience, that's true. Meier Audio, an authorized Senn dealer, consistently sold the HD 600 for $220, shipping included, brand new. If you can even find the CD 3000 new, from an authorized dealer, they're around $400. $220 vs. $400 is pretty close to "twice as much," and, in my opinion qualifies as "almost twice as much." So tell me again how my "math really is off"
confused.gif

As for the other comparisons, let's say you can, if you're lucky, find them for $350, new, from an authorized dealer. The various cable upgrades for the HD 600 sell for $90 - $160. That's a new, authorized, price range of $310-$380. So -- best case scenario for both headphones -- the "best" versions of each are fairly equal in price, give or take $30 or $40.

IF you bring the Sony from Japan as you are doing with the HD600 purchasing it from Meier, it probably cost you far less, than 350.00, (the R-10 imported from Japan runs for about 2600.00 new, but here is 3999.99, period) the HD600 "here" cost you, out of headroom 279.95, the only authorized dealer with a decent price, the rest are more expensive....OTOH I don't care a little bit if they are authorized dealers or not, the price is good at any point and with any condition, when you registered your product online with Sony (I did not purchased form an authorized dealer) and my HD600 neither, and both times the warranty was valid, they do not care about that, at the end if you press them, they will honor the warranty anyway, all the dealers one way or the other are authorized dealers, or receive the merchadize from them, that is the same at the end, you can register it without any problems, at least I did....
Coming back to the initial point, well at the end the price is not so relevant, I prefer the CD3000 even if it would be at a higher price, (IMO it is worth the extra money in that case), I do believe, that for you, the same happen the other way around, right? So the cost is not the point, but state the things clear, and the way they are in fact, it is not the double in cost with stock, is just 100.00 more and the HD600 DO cost more with the cables, about 50 more.....if this price is worth for you, good, same for me, and good also...this is all about preferences, but if someone is on the fence (a newbie) and just look at the prices to make a decision...the CD3000 at the end is 50.00 cheaper thna the HD600 wiht aftermarket cables, and IMO a better overall stock product....in less than a year I had to replace the ear pads of the HD600 (of course for free included in the warranty) and the Sony is still rocking, of course the Senns pads cost about 33.00, and the Sony about 37.50 a little bit more.....
Well my conclusion is: if someone ask me for a nice headphones for Classical music, laid back and confortable, open airy, or orchestral music, I will not hesitate to suggest the Senns as an optimal offer, for the rest, I will do the CD3000....

Sep 23, 2003 at 8:26 PM Post #117 of 225
Quote:

Originally posted by raif
Seriously though I have never seen such heated discusions. How old are you MacDef?

Sorry if I got frustrated by the constant bickering and sniping and made a few like-minded posts myself. It gets frustrating when you're attempting to add some fair perspective to a topic and then get flamed and/or criticized. I was also pretty tired. Sue me
wink.gif

And just so people don't take my posts in this thread the wrong way, I have ONLY been posting to give some perspective. I personally like the HD 600 better than the CD 3000 (and I've been clear to point out that that is a personal opinion), but I do appreciate that many people like the CD 3000, and some people like it more than the HD 600. Which is why I've said, several times now, that the most important thing is to listen yourself in your own system.

I also think that anyone considering purchasing the HD 600 vs. the CD 3000 should also consider the DT 880, which exhibits characteristics of both and is less expensive than either.

Sep 23, 2003 at 8:57 PM Post #118 of 225
true. the DT880 is a very fine headphone, and i prefer it much to the HD600. i find them better in almost everything, actually.
there are areas that the beyers are better then the sonys, i don't doubt that. they worth every penny.

Sep 23, 2003 at 9:04 PM Post #119 of 225
Hi,

I agree that the Beyer DT-880 is another excellent choice. I recommend the DT-880 over the HD-600 for anyone who want to get into an open headphones. Again, that is my opinion.

fewtch,

No offense to you, but you have not heard the CD3K....why so much beef? I agree w/ Bangraman completely that those who own the HD600, CD3000 should be allowed to make the comparison.

Sep 23, 2003 at 9:11 PM Post #120 of 225
go team HD600->DT880->CD3000 !!!
biggrin.gif

i think Guyferd is on the team too, no? (did he have HD600?)

(jeeez i've been here too much today.. i shouldn't have quit my work)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back