Jul 26, 2017 at 4:30 PM Post #331 of 483
The company was really quick in getting back to me that while on the mac mini I can send itunes to the mrendu I cannot send say youtube audio. I am considering an Ayre Codex that has both toslink and USB. I suppose I could hook the toslink up for general playing, or again say the wife is on the computer so anything she plays comes out of the toslink to the Codex no fuss.

If I also had the USB of the Ayre hooked up to the mrendu, and I played something on a mrendu Mode player when I am on the mac (sometimes I just want to play something quick so the computer is on; but I might as well point it to the mrendu since I am using a player), I wonder if the mac will still try and send audio out of the toslink. I suppose if the Ayre is switched to the USB output then it doesn’t matter; but I am wondering if this is my solution and you or anyone else sees a problem with it or perhaps has a similar setup.

I have no experience of the AYRE CODEX itself, but what you say about the 'output' selector (as with other DACs) makes sense and what the Mac does would not matter in terms of output.

Jul 26, 2017 at 4:41 PM Post #332 of 483
I have no experience of the AYRE CODEX itself, but what you say about the 'output' selector (as with other DACs) makes sense and what the Mac does would not matter in terms of output.
That and the more I think about it, you really are pointing the audio of the player to something specific, a renderer on the network; so I can't see how the mac would want to do anything with it, but that is just a guess. I have to put this desktop job together but I think one of these rendus is the next project right after that.

Jul 26, 2017 at 4:59 PM Post #333 of 483
That and the more I think about it, you really are pointing the audio of the player to something specific, a renderer on the network; so I can't see how the mac would want to do anything with it, but that is just a guess. I have to put this desktop job together but I think one of these rendus is the next project right after that.

Yes, indeed so. What player will you be using on the Mac, as a matter of interest ? I am rather interested in the new Audirvana +3.1 that''s being released very soon. It will be able to stream to the mR via its MPD mode, from what I understand.

One other thing about the microRendu ... they have recently released some updates to the product, as well as a couple of new products (you may be aware). It seems to me that 'new' purchasers of the mR don't get the new 1.4 version of the board, at present (my understanding). They are initially upgrading existing owners first. So, perhaps no hurry at present !

Jul 26, 2017 at 6:27 PM Post #334 of 483
Yes, indeed so. What player will you be using on the Mac, as a matter of interest ? I am rather interested in the new Audirvana +3.1 that''s being released very soon. It will be able to stream to the mR via its MPD mode, from what I understand.

One other thing about the microRendu ... they have recently released some updates to the product, as well as a couple of new products (you may be aware). It seems to me that 'new' purchasers of the mR don't get the new 1.4 version of the board, at present (my understanding). They are initially upgrading existing owners first. So, perhaps no hurry at present !
I am open to suggestions as I have been using XLD, that and I can't figure out all of the protocols; then there are things like Roon on top of HQPlayer, it is all enough to make my head explode. All I know is I will need something that can be controlled by a phone app with the mac mini off. I was also interested in Audionirvana as I was close to getting that to replace the XLD which doesn't change bit/sample rates on the fly I think.

Thanks for pointing out the different rendu versions I have been keeping an eye on that and I agree with your assessment. You have been using

Jul 26, 2017 at 7:51 PM Post #335 of 483
Ok this is like one step forward and two steps back. So to play files from a network connected drive, without the mac mini powered on, the server software (roon, minimserver etc.) needs to be on a NAS, a simple external HD is not enough? Does anyone have good NAS suggestions, hopefully quiet as I am in a small room.

Jul 27, 2017 at 9:41 AM Post #337 of 483
You can run MinimServer (or for instance AssetUPnP) on something as simple as a Raspberry Pi3, so an expensive NAS with a noisy fan is not your only option.

That is how I stream to the microRendu, from a server running on the low power consumption, quiet (no fan) RPi3, either JRiver Id Pi which has a GUI, or from AssetUPnP running headless. Just connect an external USB HDD to house the library.
Thanks very much, I ran across this approach as well and it makes a lot of sense no doubt. So with JRiver Id Pi (or any raspberry pi loaded with JRiver) is that the only server/player software you need? You don't need something like Minimserver then? Plus JRiver has an interface for the phone?

I am looking for a networking beginner approach. I have a Netgear router that says it is a default DLNA server, so maybe it makes sense to stick with that on the m/uRendu. I've used the Pono version of JRiver and was fine with it; just looking for steady easy and most all rates bit perfect no upsampling.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2017 at 10:46 AM Post #338 of 483
Ok this is like one step forward and two steps back. So to play files from a network connected drive, without the mac mini powered on, the server software (roon, minimserver etc.) needs to be on a NAS, a simple external HD is not enough? Does anyone have good NAS suggestions, hopefully quiet as I am in a small room.
Thanks very much, I ran across this approach as well and it makes a lot of sense no doubt. So with JRiver Id Pi (or any raspberry pi loaded with JRiver) is that the only server/player software you need? You don't need something like Minimserver then? Plus JRiver has an interface for the phone?

I am looking for a networking beginner approach. I have a Netgear router that says it is a default DLNA server, so maybe it makes sense to stick with that on the m/uRendu. I've used the Pono version of JRiver and was fine with it; just looking for steady easy and most all rates bit perfect no upsampling.

if you're going the rpi route, then use minimserver -- no need to use jriver just as a server. minimserver is a super-light application and purpose built to function as a server. as @MikeyFresh suggested, just plug a usb drive into the rpi. an rpi3/case/power supply will only cost you $60 or so (assuming you don't buy an expensive power supply).

you can try using your router as a server, but i think you'll get better results with the rpi/usb drive approach. use linn kazoo or lumin or bubbleupnp apps (depending on what kind of tablet/phone you have) to control/feed the microrendu and you'll have a great setup.

Jul 27, 2017 at 11:08 AM Post #339 of 483
This is all great help everyone thanks very much. There are not too many beginner guides to this stuff so much appreciated.

I agree that trying the router as server approach seems like cutting corners and more headaches long term. So if I am reading this right, I have: external hard drive usb into > Rpi (with minimserver)and that is usb into > router and the router feeds the m/uRendu.

When I am on the mac mini, once I select the Rendu [to what the DLNA setting], what player software would I use, minimserver I guess? I use XLD now so I don’t need a whole fancy interface thing, just play the files right, folder view is just fine for me.

I also have set the Rpi to be shared over wifi for when I need to control it without the mac. When I power down the mac, I connect my iphone to wifi and since minimserver doesn’t have a phone interface I use one of the ones mentioned?

Another question: do I need a powered HD? I was thinking of a small external SSD with usb power.

Jul 27, 2017 at 11:28 AM Post #340 of 483
This is all great help everyone thanks very much. There are not too many beginner guides to this stuff so much appreciated.

I agree that trying the router as server approach seems like cutting corners and more headaches long term. So if I am reading this right, I have: external hard drive usb into > Rpi (with minimserver)and that is usb into > router and the router feeds the m/uRendu.

When I am on the mac mini, once I select the Rendu [to what the DLNA setting], what player software would I use, minimserver I guess? I use XLD now so I don’t need a whole fancy interface thing, just play the files right, folder view is just fine for me.

I also have set the Rpi to be shared over wifi for when I need to control it without the mac. When I power down the mac, I connect my iphone to wifi and since minimserver doesn’t have a phone interface I use one of the ones mentioned?

Another question: do I need a powered HD? I was thinking of a small external SSD with usb power.

your rpi would need to be connected to your network -- recommend connecting to your router/switch via ethernet. the hdd is connected to the rpi via usb. i think you can power the usb hdd via usb, just need to make sure the power supply for the rpi can provide the required current.

by using the rpi and the microrendu, you eliminate the need for your mac -- the combo is a complete system. only reason to use the mac would be to go into the setup on the rpi or microrendu. after that you would just use an app on your ipad/iphone to control.

btw -- if you do use an rpi, you will need some software on the rpi -- there are free sources (volumio) and some that cost a small amount (moode audio is $10). i run moode on my rpi because i like the user interface on it and it can function as a server and/or renderer.

Jul 27, 2017 at 12:43 PM Post #344 of 483
I too use use Moode on the 2nd of my two Renderers (the 1st being a microRendu of course). Moode is superb as a UPnP Renderer, although since 3.7 forward it is now a paid app.

But I do not use Moode as a server, I found it's MiniDLNA server function to be sub-optimal, hence my decision for Asset (headless), and Id Pi (for GUI mode). Other's mileage may of course vary, and again, Minim is a good choice there too.

Good point about the HDD via USB bus power, it just all depends on how much current the drive draws. I found I had no problem on the RPi3 servers with a 1TB hdd attached, however in moving up to a 2TB bus powered drive the draw was too much for a 2.5 amp power supply, so I bought one on Amazon for about $13 that provides leeway, it can produce 5 volts at 3.5 amps and that seems to do just fine with the 2TB bus powered drive.

Or if power consumption of the drive is a huge issue, then simply don't use a bus powered drive, get one that uses AC power instead, removing current consumption as an issue with an RPi3 based set-up using a local USB hdd.

i agree that using minimserver is a better and cheaper solution than moode for server software on the rpi -- minimserver just takes a bit more work to configure.

for some reason on my previous post, i suffered a brain cramp halfway through and got focused on other options!

Jul 28, 2017 at 10:15 AM Post #345 of 483
I have a couple of basic microsd card questions regarding Raspberry pi. If I am going to use minimServer, it looks like I need to load onto an microsd card in this order: Raspbian Jessie, MinimServer

Regarding Noobs, is this recommended? It doesn’t seem like MinimServer uses it to load, so maybe just image Raspbian? Maybe Noobs pays dividends down the line?

Also what is a good card size needed? I use Sandisk cards so is it ok out of the box or is there a preferred format? Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back