Sonomax SoundCage 4-minute custom earphones
Jan 25, 2011 at 10:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

shigzeo

The Hiss King

Full review/impressions of Sonomax SoundCage 4-minute earphone at TouchMyApps.

I've spent the better part of today trying to hammer out my thoughts on this very interesting product. Firstly, I want to say that I love the idea and the sound. Please keep that in mind as my overall review will hound certain weak points.

I saw it at CES 2011 and grabbed a spot in the high chair for a fit from Sonomax. The machine they use to fit the earphones comes in the earphone box. It is entirely a one-shot throwaway affair - something I am not keen on at all. But, it takes as promised, only 4 minutes from start to finish and the soft silicon sludge used cures 100% in 20 hours (or so Sonomax claim). 

The product line is called Sculpted eers and the version I tried, the SoundCage V4 or something. SoundCage have been working in Canada for years doing 20 minute customs, something I clued in right away to as my mate mentioned the new 4-minute earphone. What a surprise. I met one of their dealers in Toronto as I was getting fitted up for the CT6 from Sleek Audio.

The lure of the 4-minute earphone is that you can go into a dealer and walk out like 15$ later and 200-300$ lighter with a pair of full custom earphones. 

The sound of the SoundCage V4 is big - as in embarass the Atrio M5 big. It is similarly tilted downwards with lessening emphasis on the midrange. Extension is great in both the treble and bass, but bass dominates everything. Thankfully, boominess isn't too bad an issue. I've heard other earphones that rumble out of control at the smallest of hints of music. This one is on the tame side of that.

For 200$, you get a custom with massive bass. Great.

There are issues, though. Surprisingly enough, fit is one of them. The machine that clamps at your temples can go in wrong or pop out. The process is far from foolproof as I've outlined in detail at TouchMyApps.

If you've any questions, feel free to ask. As far as I understand, this earphone isn't the final version yet, so Sonomax have time to fix some issues and iron out kinks, which I hope they do as I really really like this product. It deserves some good smoothing R&D.

Full review/impressions of Sonomax SoundCage 4-minute earphone at TouchMyApps.

Jan 25, 2011 at 11:27 PM Post #6 of 8
I will probably be getting the Dual BA Sonomax (depending on the reviews) or IE8's during summer....hope that the issues with this will be fixed...

P.S Is the cable detachable? I remeber reading somewhere that it was....

Jan 26, 2011 at 4:13 AM Post #7 of 8
The one I hace isn't detachable. I expect there to be certain changes, but I have no idea at all what they might be. I don't remember anything from my conversation with sonomax about a detachable cable, rather a more modular system in terms of fit. That may include a detachable cable.

Still, I don't understand why everyone is so excited about detachable cables. They are often weaker than their attached counterparts. The only real advantage they have is that they can be used shorter or longer. UE earphone detachable cables and even those from westone have had some problems that make me think they are not the best option. A much stronger connection, like that on shure or sleek audio might be better, but that doesn't alleviate stress put on the connector and cable at all.

Id much rather a connected cable as long as it is well made.

Jan 26, 2011 at 6:43 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:
Still: it was the most interesting/best thing I saw at CES.

Though I am not on CES, I have to agree that this is by far the most interesting headphone related product in the whole show.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back