Sonicweld/Cryo-Parts Diverter 96/24 USB to SPDIF Review
Nov 23, 2009 at 2:04 AM Post #271 of 318
Quote:

Originally Posted by JayDee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Steve. I'm curious - where are you going with this post? In other words, are you really interested in discussing the concepts with me (some of which could have been easily researched, such as the practice of data whitening or what a data slicer is), or are you throwing down some sort of gauntlet?

No Gauntlet here. And congratulations on what is evidently a great product.

The difficulty is that I have seen similar posts elsewhere and they can lead many to believe that analog and digital are really the same, which we both know are not.

These are certainly foreign terms to me. Educate me. What is "whitening" and a data slicer? Is this from telecommunications circuits? I've only been in computers.

Steve N.

Nov 23, 2009 at 5:32 AM Post #272 of 318
Quote:

Originally Posted by audioengr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No Gauntlet here.

Good, thanks for the clarification Steve. An inherent problem with forums and/or email is that the non-verbal content of a message is missing, so things are often misinterpreted. Your post seemed a little aggressive to me, and I have no desire to get into an exchange of barbs, especially with other manufacturers. I think it is unfortunate that this has occurred as frequently as it has in this and other forums. I was unsure of the gist of your post; thus my query into your intent.

Quote:

And congratulations on what is evidently a great product.

Thank you! And my congrats to you also; I have a lot of respect for your product. You've done a lot to help create this product niche and deserve credit for that.

Quote:

The difficulty is that I have seen similar posts elsewhere and they can lead many to believe that analog and digital are really the same, which we both know are not.

No, but far more worrisome to me is that many people are convinced that they're unrelated, almost as if they behave according to two separate sets of physical laws. Typically, this devolves into the tired "bits is bits" argument that has been trotted out so many times when talking about digital audio. Of course if that argument were true, there wouldn't be much justification for the premium products either of us is offering.

In my view, the similarity or difference really depends on the level of abstraction. The point of my original text you quoted was that at a sufficiently low level (say, the electron level), all of the physical effects exerted by something like a capacitance will be the same regardless of whether that electron is part of what we happen to call a "digital" or an "analog" signal. Certainly from a signal integrity point of view, it's all analog, all the time. This is really one of the central messages from key people in the SI field like Johnson, Archambault, Bogatin, and others, though they may not articulate it quite that way. I agree that digital and analog circuits are generally treated, designed, and optimized differently, but in order to do high-speed digital design well, one has to have some command of the decidedly analog effects on a signal which represents digital content. The transmission interface doesn't know whether a signal is analog or digital; in the case of our products the term "digital" only has real meaning on the receive side, where the signal is processed according to an arbitrary set of rules which, by convention, endow it with a particular meaning. In the telecom world they're primarily concerned with SI problems that would give rise to bit-level errors, while those would be vanishingly rare in our digital audio world of comparatively short signal paths. We're concerned with signal integrity - primarily jitter and noise - inasmuch as they contribute to an inaccurate digital to analog conversion. Some of the origins of those problems might be digital in nature (such as a PLL divider problem), but most are analog in nature.

Quote:

These are certainly foreign terms to me. Educate me. What is "whitening" and a data slicer? Is this from telecommunications circuits? I've only been in computers.

Yes, the terms are most frequently seen in the telecom world. Very briefly, a data slicer is basically a one-bit A/D converter - essentially a comparator. It accepts a "digital" RF signal and decides what is a 1 and what is a 0. To whiten the data (which is very much a digital process) means to process it by XORing it with a pseudorandom sequence, in order to reduce the maximum symbol length, or the maximum possible length of contiguous ones or zeros. Much like Manchester encoding (or the bi-phase encoding we see in a SPDIF signal, which is basically the same), this serves to effect more frequent bit transitions and reduces or eliminates the DC content of the signal. That helps linearize the data slicer's operation. It also has the effect of producing a more Gaussian spectral shape of the RF signal.

Relating this back to my original post, my point with this example (and perhaps it was a poorly-conceived one) was simply that calling a signal digital doesn't make it immune to analog problems that afflict various parts of the overall signal transmission chain.

Nov 23, 2009 at 6:43 PM Post #273 of 318
Quote:

No, but far more worrisome to me is that many people are convinced that they're unrelated, almost as if they behave according to two separate sets of physical laws. Typically, this devolves into the tired "bits is bits" argument that has been trotted out so many times when talking about digital audio. Of course if that argument were true, there wouldn't be much justification for the premium products either of us is offering.

Agreed. The "bit is bits" argument must be squashed. Lots of people cannot hear jitter in their systems, so they conclude that its not real, some kind of snake-oil. We both know that its the last frontier of digital audio, and combined with higher resolutions, the only way that digital will ever compete with analog. Now if we could just determine why files with different offsets sound different or why Amarra sounds better......

IME, most of the DAC and converter designers out there are not coming from a digital design background. I discovered this by modding a lot of other manufacturers equipment. We are fortunate to be in the minority.

Quote:

In my view, the similarity or difference really depends on the level of abstraction. The point of my original text you quoted was that at a sufficiently low level (say, the electron level), all of the physical effects exerted by something like a capacitance will be the same regardless of whether that electron is part of what we happen to call a "digital" or an "analog" signal. Certainly from a signal integrity point of view, it's all analog, all the time.

Agreed.

IME, there is a lot of confusion because once a person believes that analog and power etc. are critical parts of good digital design (which is good), they tend to believe this is critical in all scenerios. They conclude that they must have an expensive USB cable for computer to USB converter as well as A/D converter to computer. The former can be critical and the latter is a waste of money. Even the USB to converter cable scenerio depends on the USB protocol used. Same thing with buying expensive power supplies and applying them where they dont matter.

This makes digital even more confusing to the consumer. Analog was simple in comparison.

I think RLLC or run-length-limited-coding is equivalent to whitening?

Steve N.

Nov 24, 2009 at 5:28 AM Post #274 of 318
I was hoping for a Steve vs. Josh deathmatch in my thread. I think that if the weapon of choice was digital converters, Josh's product would give a more serious concussion :)

Agreed on the Amarra thing. Josh, Steve, if either of you can figure this one out...I know I hear some improvement with it, but a lot of people make fun of me for buying a $400 piece of audio software.

Nov 24, 2009 at 5:39 AM Post #275 of 318
Quote:

Originally Posted by scootermafia /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Agreed on the Amarra thing. Josh, Steve, if either of you can figure this one out...I know I hear some improvement with it, but a lot of people make fun of me for buying a $400 piece of audio software.

Alot of people make fun of me for buying a pair of headphones that cost over $50. let alone over $500. or $1000.
redface.gif

Nov 24, 2009 at 5:51 AM Post #276 of 318
Quote:

I was hoping for a Steve vs. Josh deathmatch in my thread.

Sorry, Red Bull pulled their sponsorship and the UFC has banned me for life. My days of cage fighting are at an end.

Quote:

I have an Amarra license (full version), and I've been meaning to put it on the jitter measurement rig to take a look at both the raw USB data as well as the Diverter output with and without it engaged. However, this is fantasy #551 on a long list at the moment, I'm afraid. I'm sure I'll do it eventually.

Nov 24, 2009 at 6:23 AM Post #277 of 318
Quote:

They conclude that they must have an expensive USB cable for computer to USB converter as well as A/D converter to computer. The former can be critical and the latter is a waste of money.

Yes, because in the A/D case, the digital audio data is simply accumulating on the HDD - as long as there are no bit errors, the other attributes of the interface aren't critical (though I'd still want it to at least meet the USB specs). Jitter isn't an issue because the domain conversion has already been done, and that's the only point in time that jitter has any effect or meaning. However, I would still call the cable shielding important in this application, because a poor shielding / grounding scheme could very well be an entry pathway for noise into the A/D, and that could definitely affect its operation.

Quote:

This makes digital even more confusing to the consumer. Analog was simple in comparison.

And I fear it will only going to get worse, unfortunately. Now that computer audio is being taken seriously, many of the same neuroses that have afflicted our hobby will find fresh breeding grounds.

Quote:

I think RLLC or run-length-limited-coding is equivalent to whitening?

Similar in the sense that the max run length is limited in both cases (explicitly in the case of RLLC but as a random function with whitening), but different in that with whitening, the data is convolved with the pseudorandom sequence.

Nov 24, 2009 at 6:13 PM Post #278 of 318
Since you just mentioned Amarra, I will briefly say that I preferred the music without Amarra mini running on Santacore's setup with his D7000. I thought Amarra sounded more like a WOW filter and detail from the audio was missing. It created a soundstage where most of the music was in the center and less was on left and right, almost like a triangle-shaped soundfield. But detail and separation was lost when Amarra Mini was activated. I did not listen to it with my HD800 though. John also mentioned to me that the full version has a better volume slider, and I was confused by this (even though we had it at full level the whole time). I was confused because if the full version of Amarra has a better quality volume slider (aside from it's extra EQ features), it must be altering the sound in what I feel is a negative way. Anything other than a bit-perfect streaming file to the DAC is a bad thing. Unless John is mistaken in which case I'd like to find out exactly what Amarra is doing to the audio. The only thing that should be improved in the signal is the clock/timing data. If Amarra isn't doing this, what is it doing and why?

Now I did hook up the Diverter to my main rig to compare to the Logitech Transporter. I must say I was pleasantly surprised with how good the Diverter was. I have never heard USB audio that I found to be adequate so this took me for quite a surprise.

I used Foobar2000 to stream the audio to the Diverter using a Locus Design Group Axis USB cable, and then into my Audio-gd Reference One DAC with a Blue Jeans Cable 18ft. BNC cable. With the Transporter, it uses it's own streaming software called Squeezebox Server to stream the raw data from the PC to the Transporter over Ethernet, and then the Transporter (like the Diverter) creates the S/PDIF data and shoots that over via the same BNC cable to the Audio-gd Reference One.

Overall I feel the Transporter is still the better transport but the Diverter was very clean and held its own, especially considering that it's half the price of the Logitech Transporter. In fact, I think the treble on the Diverter was slightly more detailed, but the music overall sounded lean and more like digital than analog when compared to the Transporter. The Transporter's midrange and bass presence were fuller and more natural sounding, and the midrange and bass detail was a notch above. Now I could be wrong but I feel that if the Diverter had a separate power supply it could sound as robust and natural as the Transporter.

Anyway, those are my thoughts and I thank you guys for letting us use it at the meet. The Diverter exceeded my expectations.

Nov 24, 2009 at 6:47 PM Post #279 of 318
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only thing that should be improved in the signal is the clock/timing data. If Amarra isn't doing this, what is it doing and why?

Those are interesting and relevant questions - I don't have any insights at this point; I can only say that my experiences with Amarra thus far have been positive.

Quote:

Now I did hook up the Diverter to my main rig to compare to the Logitech Transporter. I must say I was pleasantly surprised with how good the Diverter was. I have never heard USB audio that I found to be adequate so this took me for quite a surprise.

Thanks very much for the feedback. I'm glad you had a chance to try it out at the meet; this is the sort of experience we had in mind when we decided to make a demo unit. I wish the demo unit had been able to be supplied with more break-in time on it (only had a few hours), but it will at least be well run-in for future meets.

Nov 24, 2009 at 6:49 PM Post #280 of 318
Cool, thanks for the comments!, Phil! I know that you are a die hard Squeezebox fan, so it is nice to get your opinions.

Quote:

Since you just mentioned Amarra, I will briefly say that I preferred the music without Amarra mini running on Santacore's setup with his D7000. I thought Amarra sounded more like a WOW filter and detail from the audio was missing.

You and I hear things differently, apparently. Vive la difference.

Quote:

Now I could be wrong but I feel that if the Diverter had a separate power supply it could sound as robust and natural as the Transporter.

Sorry, Phil, it would sound worse. Josh explained why earlier in the thread.

Quote:

Anyway, those are my thoughts and I thank you guys for letting us use it at the meet. The Diverter exceeded my expectations.

Our pleasure, thank you for the comments.

FYI--John has it now and is burning it in (it was a brand new unit and only had 15-20 hours on it), so by the next meet it should be well burned in and ready to roll.

Peace,

Lee

Nov 24, 2009 at 7:43 PM Post #282 of 318
LOL @ road show. The Diverter does need about 300 hours to sound its best, and it seems to have synergy with Amarra and HD800. If you are testing Amarra to figure out how good it is with anything less than a Diverter and HD800s, don't bother (unless it's high end speakers). I haven't tried Denons but I don't think they're as neutral as HD800 from what people have said.

That being said, I do want to at least try a Transporter, although I'd probably kill myself rather than buy one as I've spent $400 on Amarra, if I somehow liked it better. I think the Transporter is a smart option for people who want a DAC, as Phil has told me that the Transporter's DAC is competent, if not as gorgeous as the Reference 1's sound. The Diverter definitely works for me.

Josh, you would win any deathmatch by launching into a lengthy discourse about digital design, which would make the opponent either run in fear, fall asleep, have their head explode, or potentially all three at once.

Nov 24, 2009 at 7:55 PM Post #283 of 318
Quote:

The Diverter does need about 300 hours to sound its best, and it seems to have synergy with Amarra and HD800. If you are testing Amarra to figure out how good it is with anything less than a Diverter and HD800s, don't bother (unless it's high end speakers).

Did you really mean that?

Nov 24, 2009 at 8:05 PM Post #284 of 318
Quote:

Originally Posted by JayDee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks very much for the feedback. I'm glad you had a chance to try it out at the meet; this is the sort of experience we had in mind when we decided to make a demo unit. I wish the demo unit had been able to be supplied with more break-in time on it (only had a few hours), but it will at least be well run-in for future meets.

You're very welcome.
smily_headphones1.gif
I can't say I'm one for much belief in burn-in time for solid state gear. I can't say I've ever really noticed changes taking place over time for gear or cables, but I do hear all the subtle (and sometimes major) differences of cables and power cords from the get go.

Even if there were no more changes to take place to the Diverter, it is a very solid product for its price and I'm sure you'll have great success with it with the USB audio users.

Nov 24, 2009 at 8:14 PM Post #285 of 318
Yes, I did mean what I said. Amarra is most noticeable when you have the gear to back them up. HD800 are more revealing and transparent, with the most noticeable response to upgrades, than any headphone that I have tried. And Amarra is probably wasted on badly implemented USB transports/DACs.

Amarra's going to get the most mileage with really nice speaker systems and the best headphone systems. I base this on the fact that switching Amarra on/off you can hardly tell the difference with HD650, K702, Beyers, etc.

Sorry to crap on anyone's parade. Me and PJ do currently attend the School of Only HD800 Liking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back