Sonic Satori - HRT Levels the Field with the MicroStreamer
Nov 20, 2016 at 5:31 AM Post #1,201 of 1,216
I do have an USB Regen that I use with my iDSD micro but recently I've been using the microstreamer on the go. Maybe I'll just get rid of the Regen and buy the IP2.

Feb 11, 2017 at 8:19 PM Post #1,203 of 1,216
Question for Kevin, MM and anyone else that wants to weigh in re Tidal, MQA and the MS:

Have my MS hooked up to my PC via USB and listening to selections under Tidal Masters. It is my understanding that the bitstream rate passed should be 24/96 (via MQA), even though this is not a MQA DAC. The MS is only registering 44.1 however.

Should I be seeing 24/96 passed through on the MS?

Thanks.

GLR

Feb 11, 2017 at 8:21 PM Post #1,204 of 1,216
And by the way the SQ is excellent. But we all want more, don't we?

evil_smiley.gif

Feb 12, 2017 at 4:48 PM Post #1,205 of 1,216
Question for Kevin, MM and anyone else that wants to weigh in re Tidal, MQA and the MS:

Have my MS hooked up to my PC via USB and listening to selections under Tidal Masters. It is my understanding that the bitstream rate passed should be 24/96 (via MQA), even though this is not a MQA DAC. The MS is only registering 44.1 however.

Should I be seeing 24/96 passed through on the MS?

Thanks.

GLR

They use different sample rate for different albums. If you don't use the Tidal's desktop app to partially decode MQA than it will bitstream the entire unpacked track however the MS will only able to "decode" the "core" of that in most cases encoded at 44.1khz. Of course if you use windows you might have the windows mixer in the path, which has to be set higher than 44.1 to send higher sampling rate in any application.

Mar 19, 2017 at 2:47 PM Post #1,207 of 1,216
Not sure if this has been discussed already: may I ask if mS significantly drains iPhone or Android's battery? Can anyone please say anything about its power consiumption?

Mar 19, 2017 at 4:15 PM Post #1,208 of 1,216
Not sure if this has been discussed already: may I ask if mS significantly drains iPhone or Android's battery? Can anyone please say anything about its power consiumption?

I'm afraid so. It drained my old HTC One battery in two or three hours. This is partly what led me to get an LG V10 which is probably a sideways move in audio quality terms but much more convenient.

Mar 19, 2017 at 4:35 PM Post #1,209 of 1,216
I see, sounds not too optymistic but thanks anyway...

Dec 24, 2017 at 9:18 AM Post #1,210 of 1,216
Hi guys, I'm looking to pick up a second hand MicroStreamer as an upgrade to my year old FiiO K1.

Is it worth it? I am assuming it will be an upgrade even though the MS is a 4 year old device compared to the K1. Haven't found any direct comparisons, or information on the actual hardware of the MS.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2017 at 1:20 PM Post #1,211 of 1,216
Hi guys, I'm looking to pick up a second hand MicroStreamer as an upgrade to my year old FiiO K1.

Is it worth it? I am assuming it will be an upgrade even though the MS is a 4 year old device compared to the K1. Haven't found any direct comparisons, or information on the actual hardware of the MS.
I think it uses TAS1020B + PCM1793 + OPA2132 x2 (if the opamps are the same as the HeadStreamer). I would think the K1 sounds pretty similar (most devices do), and it uses a comparable PCM5102 DAC from Texas Instruments.

http://maceditionradio.com/node/5946
https://www.jackenhack.com/hrt-headstreamer-dac-usb-24-bit-96khz-headphone-review/

I was thinking of selling my microStreamer if you are interested, let me know, I can put it up on the for sale page here

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2017 at 1:36 PM Post #1,212 of 1,216
I think it uses TAS1020B + PCM1793 + OPA2132 x2 (if the opamps are the same as the HeadStreamer). I would think the K1 sounds pretty similar (most devices do), and it uses a comparable PCM5102 DAC from Texas Instruments.

http://maceditionradio.com/node/5946
https://www.jackenhack.com/hrt-headstreamer-dac-usb-24-bit-96khz-headphone-review/

I was thinking of selling my microStreamer if you are interested, let me know, I can put it up on the for sale page here

Okay thank you. Honestly I thought it would be a definite upgrade since the K1 is in a very different price bracket.

If you decide to sell then let me know. Honestly it really depends if you're in the US or EU, since I don't really want to pay customs or import taxes if it's sent from outside EU.

Dec 24, 2017 at 1:43 PM Post #1,213 of 1,216
Okay thank you. Honestly I thought it would be a definite upgrade since the K1 is in a very different price bracket.

If you decide to sell then let me know. Honestly it really depends if you're in the US or EU, since I don't really want to pay customs or import taxes if it's sent from outside EU.
Oh yeah, I am in the U.S. sorry about that. I do see a UK listing on eBay at the moment though. (Well, umm, actually it says, "South-East Asia, or United Kingdom" - I have no idea what that means).

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2017 at 2:58 PM Post #1,215 of 1,216
I think the Microstreamer is a bit harsh at the highs. I found the Geek Out 450 better (more natural timbre, definitely less harsh/rough in the highs)

That may depend on synergy with headphones. From my experience, mS does indeed pair better with models leaning towards smooth/dark tonality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back