Sonic Satori - HRT Levels the Field with the MicroStreamer
Apr 24, 2013 at 12:39 PM Post #61 of 1,216
Quote:
I'm looking forward to more reviews of this little device, and especially more comparisons!
Seems like it could be a nice step up from my FiiO E10 without having to get into desktop DACs and amps. 
rolleyes.gif

i have the e10, the micro is a generous step up to me
it sounds much more open, more air, detail
i love mine !!

Apr 24, 2013 at 3:14 PM Post #62 of 1,216
Great to hear that you find that it sounds better than the E10 jaywillin! I find the E10 a bit congested sometimes, and I hope to try the Microstreamer some day, hopefully, soon. :)

Apr 25, 2013 at 11:15 PM Post #64 of 1,216
My personally feeling is the microstreamer is quite a step up from ibasso D-Zero, if it means anything to anyone. The HRT is just more organic, dynamic and alive, although I must say the D-Zero is also quite an excellent package at its price point.

Apr 27, 2013 at 10:46 AM Post #65 of 1,216
Quote:
My personally feeling is the microstreamer is quite a step up from ibasso D-Zero, if it means anything to anyone. The HRT is just more organic, dynamic and alive, although I must say the D-Zero is also quite an excellent package at its price point.

I recently got to check out the ibasso.  It's definitely a competitive product.  But I agree with your sonic assessment, DEAD ON!!  I found Kevin Halversons DAC/head-amp in the microStreamer just has a far more natural sound.

May 2, 2013 at 11:33 AM Post #66 of 1,216
Quote:
well, at first note, i new i was keeping the e9 , the combination of the microstreamer and the e9 is what i was looking for.
the e9 isn't really needed either, the streamer is great by itself, the e9 doesn't take away anything that i can tell, if anything,
the headphone amp is nicer. huge volume control, feels like quality.

an update to my comment above:
i'm learning something here, what i've learned in this particular instance is first impressions can be somewhat misleading at times.
after more time has passed since this post, and going back and forth between the eo9k, and using the microstreamers headphone output,
i realize i was mainly just hearing a difference in sound, not necessarily better sound.
the fiio maybe did add a little extra weight to what i was listening to, but it also added a slight veil maybe, i'm not sure,
i just noticed after spending more time with both, i actually preferred using just the microstreamer !
the fiio is a great product, i just like what i'm hearing straight out of the hrt better.
i'd still like to find a dedicated headphone amp, i'm looking at the ifi ican, and the schiit asgard 2, or maybe some tubes.
it could be possible that there may not be anything in the $200-$300 range that can beat just the microstreamer ,
i'm open to any suggestions !

May 2, 2013 at 1:49 PM Post #67 of 1,216
Hey Jaywillin,
When I first read your impression of e9+MS, I did find it odd that you would keep the e9 although it seemed like only a slight improvement.  Why add extra expense and extra complication for seemingly little benefit?  I've never used the e9 but I tested the Objective 2+MS and preferred the MS by itself. Now the O2 is a very highly regarded headphone amp in the sub $200 category.  Thank you for sharing your latest impression.  It's more inline with what I've observed myself.  And do let us know if you find something that synergizes well and improves upon the MS as an amp. As of right now, the MS is one smokin' dac/amp!

May 2, 2013 at 2:44 PM Post #68 of 1,216
Quote:
Hey Jaywillin,
When I first read your impression of e9+MS, I did find it odd that you would keep the e9 although it seemed like only a slight improvement.  Why add extra expense and extra complication for seemingly little benefit?  I've never used the e9 but I tested the Objective 2+MS and preferred the MS by itself. Now the O2 is a very highly regarded headphone amp in the sub $200 category.  Thank you for sharing your latest impression.  It's more inline with what I've observed myself.  And do let us know if you find something that synergizes well and improves upon the MS as an amp. As of right now, the MS is one smokin' dac/amp!

what i found out isn't a knock on the fiio , i still think its really good. just compared to the micro, it sounded veiled.
i'm gonna keep looking i think, but i'll try to be more patient, before i form impressions.
i'm learning as i go !! the journey continues, i'll keep y'all posted

May 3, 2013 at 4:47 AM Post #69 of 1,216
Quote:
what i found out isn't a knock on the fiio , i still think its really good. just compared to the micro, it sounded veiled.
i'm gonna keep looking i think, but i'll try to be more patient, before i form impressions.
i'm learning as i go !! the journey continues, i'll keep y'all posted

The sonic journey is everything!

I'm so psyched to see the support for the microStreamer here - and that this thread continues!!  I'm still surprised weekly with the microStreamer, and I'm planning on writing about it again, this time for either The Daily Swarm (my Sonic Satori column there) or Part-Time Audiophile.

This may sound nuts considering there are so many new products out there - but next to the Sony PHA-1, the microStreamer has impressed me as much as the E.A,R HP4!!!!  I am NOT COMPARING THEM SONICALLY  - nor should I.  I mean I'm still excited to listen to the microStreamer whenever the time allows - like in the waiting room w/ my Macbook/Amarra rig today!!

May 6, 2013 at 3:17 PM Post #70 of 1,216
@mikemercer.  Have you had a chance to listen to the HRT Streamer HD? If so, I would be interested to read your impression. If the MS is this good, the flagship must be amazing. Also, don't mean to hijack this thread. We can start another one if more appropriate.

May 6, 2013 at 9:12 PM Post #71 of 1,216
Quote:
Hey Jaywillin,

ok, i admit it, i'm insane !
after a few days without the eo9k, and that big volume knob and the pre outs, i was thinking about getting the asgard 2
then i had another idea, experiment time.
on the way is a magni , a bravo tube amp(v2) and the eo9k is back.
gonna take some time, comparing those 3, with just the head out of the microstreamer.
all three are about the same price, but at least from what people are saying about them, they should three distinct sonic pallets
i PLAN on keeping at least one of the three amps. we'll see which plays the best with the micro

May 7, 2013 at 9:35 PM Post #72 of 1,216
Quote:
@mikemercer.  Have you had a chance to listen to the HRT Streamer HD? If so, I would be interested to read your impression. If the MS is this good, the flagship must be amazing. Also, don't mean to hijack this thread. We can start another one if more appropriate.

HEY!  GREAT question!  I'm expecting one VERY soon, and am VERY excited to put it ahead of the Ray Samuels DarkStar balanced amp!  

Should we start a new thread for that?
Maybe wait til one of us gets one!

I'm gonna email my buddy now actually.
Thanks for reminding me!

May 17, 2013 at 12:02 AM Post #74 of 1,216
This seems the be the place to comment/ask about the HRT MicroStreamer.

I'm only interested in the line out SQ. Has anyone any observations about this? I read another review online from Australia where the MS was up against a very high dollar DAC in a very resolving loudspeaker system and the comments in that regard were not especially complimentary. In any case, there seems to be a view that the Line Out section of this DAC does not perform as well as the DAC/Amp combo. Any thoughts?

Erik

May 17, 2013 at 3:20 PM Post #75 of 1,216
@SlingBlade
My reference system consists of laptop USB->Audiophilleo 1 USB SPDIF converter->dcs 954 DAC.  The dcs 954 is the pro version of the dcs Elgar and originally sold for $7k+ so suffice it to say I've never tried running the Microstreamer as a DAC only up against the reference system.  It wouldn't even be a fair comparison and not expected to be.  I'm using the Microstreamer strictly as an office desktop headphone.
With that being said, I just bought an ifi audio iUSB power supply.  AlI can say is wow. The iUSB brings the Microstreamer's performance up a few notches and the improvements across the board are not subtle.  This is a highly recommended upgrade for the Microstreamer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back