Sonic Perfection Under $250
Oct 16, 2010 at 8:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

SpecialJ

Head-Fier
Some Background:
I'm currently a college student looking for the best IEM <$250 can buy. I don't consider myself an audiophile but I do enjoy great sounding music. The only pair of decent phones I own, or ever owned, are the Audio Technica ATH-M50s. Although they are a great set of cans, I'm looking for a more portable solution. I would wear the IEMs on my way to class, on the bus, when I'm working out, or just when I want to be more discrete while listening to music.

I've been creeping around Head-fi trying to find the best solution to my needs but haven't been able to get the specifics I want. So the only way I can see me getting the information I want is to create a thread dedicated to that.

Music Preferences:
Pop
Alternative Rock
Indie Rock
HipHop
Hardstyle
Classical
Jazz

As you can see, I listen to a variety of genres of music. I might sound ignorant by saying this, but as far as Highs are concerned, I'm not very concerned. Maybe it's due to a lack of experience with different headphones. Mids must be smooth and detailed. I love the sound of clear acoustic guitars and vocals. Bass has to be present but doesn't have to be all up in my face. The M50s provide a decent amount of bass, I don't expect the IEMs to provide as much bass.

Some Research/HW I've done so far...
Westone 2
Jays q-jay
Shure SE315
Fischer Audio DBA-02 (hard to find....)

What I'm looking for:
SQ
Comfort
Microphonics (lack of)
Build Quality
Accessories (case, tips, extension cable, etc)

My source would be my iPod Touch (3G) and MacBook Pro 13. I do not have an amp and don't plan on getting one anytime soon. So if someone could recommend me IEMs that satisfy my needs, I'd greatly appreciate it. IEMs that cost way less than $250 are obviously welcome as well.

Thanks in advance,
SpecialJ

Oct 16, 2010 at 9:42 AM Post #2 of 17
read joker's multi iem review thread...

Oct 16, 2010 at 9:51 AM Post #3 of 17
Quote:
read joker's multi iem review thread...

I've read that and much more, I was hoping to hear more specifics, and comparisons between the IEMs that I've listed.... Westone 2s don't seem to be written about a whole lot.

I'm reading very conflicting opinions about the SE315s. Some saying that the bass is very present, and others saying that it's close to nonexistent.

Oct 16, 2010 at 4:15 PM Post #4 of 17
I'd recommend Phonak Audeo. They come with a variety of accessories including a carrying case,filters,cleaning tool and silicon+comply tips. As for SQ, they've got pretty good clarity and bass, and their midrange is just lovely.

Oct 16, 2010 at 5:15 PM Post #5 of 17
MTP Copper, IE8, IE7, Radius DDM, Klipsch custom 3, Image X5, DBA-02, UM3x(used), SE530(used), E-Q7(used) and CK10.........

Oct 16, 2010 at 7:40 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:
MTP Copper, IE8, IE7, Radius DDM, Klipsch custom 3, Image X5, DBA-02, UM3x(used), SE530(used), E-Q7(used) and CK10.........

If you know a site where I can get CK10s or MTPCs for under $250, I'd greatly appreciate it. I didn't put them on my list because I didn't even dream of them being in my price range.

Oct 17, 2010 at 1:26 AM Post #8 of 17
How would you compare the Westone 2s to the SE425s that came out recently? Aesthetically, the Shures seem like the better choice but I heard that the cables on the Westones are one of the best (comfort-wise) while the Shures are "overkill".

Oct 17, 2010 at 7:37 AM Post #9 of 17
Have not heard SE425 but I briefly owned SE420 and the Westone 2's are better in every regard.  Much better treble extension and overall clarity.

Oct 17, 2010 at 12:48 PM Post #10 of 17
custom 3 is a great choice and will leave you with plenty of change
tongue_smile.gif

Oct 17, 2010 at 1:27 PM Post #11 of 17
Q-jays are the best sounding IEMs I've heard for under $250. I haven't heard Custom 3 or DBA 02, but I doubt that they will be much, if any improvement over the q-jays. What q-jays do especially well are bass and lower midrange where they really excel for their price. In fact, I have yet to hear an IEM that does bass noticeably better than q-jays. Shure SE530 may still be the overall king of midrange reproduction, but the lower mids on q-jays are every bit as good if not better IMO - crystal clear, very detailed, neutral and rich sounding. Pianos sound absolutely gorgeous through these IEMs - very lifelike and FUN.

Now, no headphone is perfect and q-jays do have some issues in the upper mids and treble region. In particular, I find that the upper mids tend to sound a bit suppressed/hollow in the q-jays, which may have something to do with driver alignment. The treble, while very detailed can sound a bit piercing and just a tiny bit muddy at times. It's not something that you will readily notice and is really only apparent on some high bitrate music at high volumes. And also remember that this criticism is coming from someone who owned and sold Westone ES3X $850 customs because I did not find the sound musical enough nor dynamic enough for my tastes. Q-jays will beat your ATH-M50 in just about every way, from top to bottom with tighter bass, way more detail in the mids and similar, but more detailed treble. 

These IEMs also respond very well to amping - better than most. With a decent amp, you will be able to get an even richer and fuller sound out of the q-jays and the treble will sound smoother as well. And of course, the main selling point of these IEMs is probably their wonderful construction and ergonomics. They are just so small and cute and really well made and fit like a glove with the stock tips - at least in my ears. They really give an impression of a quality product that is a pleasure to hold in your hands.

Overall, I really recommend q-jays particularly if you listen to music with a lot of bass content or pianos. They are also very well suited for Asian music like jpop, Thai pop and stuff like that because of their well extended and detailed treble, but if you listen to your music at very high volume levels, they may sound a bit piercing in the higher frequencies. They are also great for those with smaller ear canals or people who really need a comfortable IEM, like myself. I find that most IEMs hurt my ears after a while, but q-jays could stay in my ears for hours and I often didn't even feel they were in there.

And BTW, I also tried UE 700 IEMs a while back. They are also dual driver and small like the q-jays and many people like them and recommend them here. Personally, I thought that q-jays sound better - I think they have much better bass and lower mids. Really, it's amazing how well the low end is done on the q-jays, especially considering how inexpensive they are - you really need to hear it to believe it. I think q-jays have better bass than the $850 ES3X.

Oct 17, 2010 at 8:10 PM Post #12 of 17
My list has dwindled down to the W2 and the q-jays.
Also the new SE line. If Shure has done anything new to the SQ of the 315s or the 425s, I'd like to know how they stack up to the W2s or q-jays.

Thanks

Oct 19, 2010 at 6:01 AM Post #13 of 17
I've decided to fight my urges to get new IEMs for now and wait till the prices of the SE535s drop and I get more money.
Sucks being a college student...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back