Sonic Impact T-Amp/AKG K1000 setup
Dec 29, 2005 at 3:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Trogdor

Reviewer: Metal-Fi
So what is the final word with this combo? Are people using all modded T-Amps or can you use the stock T-Amp as is? I'm might use this as a temporary solution until I find the right combo.

Thanks!
k1000smile.gif

Dec 30, 2005 at 8:42 AM Post #4 of 17
lol, silence...........no response............akward............dont make me feel stupid........hahahha
icon10.gif
. Im also interested in this so if anybody has done it please post some info
eggosmile.gif

peace

Dec 30, 2005 at 3:23 PM Post #6 of 17
I'm sure you've tried the K1000 with your Dynamight Sig (personally dubbed The Burninator, you really should get some custom graphics done on that
biggrin.gif
). I've heard the K1000 with a regular Dynahi and it powered them well.

Dec 30, 2005 at 3:51 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by NightWoundsTime
I'm sure you've tried the K1000 with your Dynamight Sig (personally dubbed The Burninator, you really should get some custom graphics done on that
biggrin.gif
).

No I haven't!! I need the adapter which should be arriving next week so literally these cans have just been sitting here.

Quote:

I've heard the K1000 with a regular Dynahi and it powered them well.

Hmmm, that's an interesting idea! I sort of wanted to run out and buy a T-Amp just to try it (its like 27 bucks) but no place carries them (I checked my local Target and they were clueless). Any other retail outlets sell this thing?

Dec 30, 2005 at 4:33 PM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trogdor
So what is the final word with this combo? Are people using all modded T-Amps or can you use the stock T-Amp as is? I'm might use this as a temporary solution until I find the right combo.

Thanks!
k1000smile.gif

I'm sometimes using one of my modded T-amps.
I don't like the stock T-amp since it has a serious bass rolloff, and attenuating the bass is the last thing I want for my K1000 pleasure.
In fact I'm utilizing a sophisticated tone control (Corda Analoguer designed by Jan Meier) in order to boost the bass and attenuate the treble.

IMO you can't get away without some basic mods, at least the bass mod and applying resistors in parallel is mandatory.

Dec 30, 2005 at 5:55 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmopragma
IMO you can't get away without some basic mods, at least the bass mod and applying resistors in parallel is mandatory.

What's the resistor mod again? Is that more a stopgap measure to protect the K1000 drivers from overloading?

Dec 30, 2005 at 11:31 PM Post #10 of 17
I remember GSFerrari telling me when the Dynahi scheme first came out that the wattage output on the single ended output would be more than enough to run a K1000. Not sure of the exact number but it was impressively high. Add the balanced operation to that and the K1000's should really shine.

Dec 31, 2005 at 9:09 PM Post #11 of 17
Alright I think have most of my answers. The last question I have (I hope) is has the HF ultrasonics issue been resolved? There is a thread earlier this year (05) that stated that you could damage your ears to the 53kHz spike. I suspect all is good since many many people use the T-Amp without issue.

Any takers?

Jan 1, 2006 at 6:13 AM Post #12 of 17
A while back, GSFerrari and I compared the sound of a K1000 powered by a T-amp, to that produced when powered by an ASL AQ-1005DT >$1,500 amp. We could not hear any difference. But, I still use the ASL amp to power my K1000. Since this combo sounds great, perhaps imagination and the placebo effect enhance my appreciation of the sound. A powerful imagination, and perhaps a bit of self-delusion, may greatly enhance an audiophiles musical ecstasy.

Jan 1, 2006 at 4:16 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trogdor
What's the resistor mod again? Is that more a stopgap measure to protect the K1000 drivers from overloading?

The resistors allow the ultrasonic filters in the T-amp to operate properly. They do nothing at all for the K-1000.

Trogdor, the K-1000 frequency response does not extend to 53 KHz. It would be very difficult to damage your ears with a frequency that is not reproduced.

Jan 1, 2006 at 4:23 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hirsch
The resistors allow the ultrasonic filters in the T-amp to operate properly. They do nothing at all for the K-1000.

Trogdor, the K-1000 frequency response does not extend to 53 KHz. It would be very difficult to damage your ears with a frequency that is not reproduced.

Hirsch, understood, not that my ears would notice 53KHz anyway. I was just trying to be conscientious and reread all of the threads regarding the T-Amp and the AKG K1000 and the only issue that had not been resolved was one of ultrasonics.

I actually just ordered a Super T-Amp which should arrive on Wednesday or Thursday and hoping it will just work as is (I will be using banana jacks). Its my new work setup!
k1000smile.gif

Jan 1, 2006 at 6:10 PM Post #15 of 17
Hirsch - If a T-amp is used solely to drive a K1000, is there any need for any kind of modification?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hirsch

Users who are viewing this thread

Back