sonic differences in hookup wire
Nov 26, 2002 at 3:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

HD-5000

1000+ Head-Fier
As I was searching around for electrical parts, I have found that some exotic hookup wires that retail for as much as $5/ft. I wish to know if anyone can actually hear sonic improvements in sound compared to the ordinary copper hookup wire found in Radio Shack and digikey etc.? Maybe these hookup wire cables are just ripoffs?

Thanks.

Nov 26, 2002 at 4:16 AM Post #4 of 20
I tried both Tara Labs RSC to Cardas golden ratio wiring on a (headphone) amp project, and from "high grade oxyfen free wire" to Tara Labs RSC on my (speaker) commercial amp, so take this for what its worth:

If there's a difference its small. I might have heard something, but it wasn't significant enough for me to abolish the possibility of psychoacoustics. Also realize my amps are configured for short wire runs, the longest piece of wire I've worked with wasn't more than 4 inches long.

Bonus info: if you hold a magnifying glass to Cardas' hook up wire you can actually see the different sized strands (Jude has pictures about this somewhere on the forum as well). Kind of cool if you're into that sort of thing.

best,
carlo.

Nov 26, 2002 at 5:05 AM Post #5 of 20
Replace the hookup wire on one channel only, all the way thru the amp. RCA forward. Then using a mono source, evaluate the signal and listen for a difference. If there is a difference you should be able to hear it and quantify it.

It might be more work but this way you’ll be able to hear any minor differences between channels.

Also consider the type and quality of your RCA’s if you’re going to do that much work.

Nov 27, 2002 at 3:08 AM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by Gariver
I will be using Jena Labs hookup wire in my next project. Like most of you, I am not fully convinced that it will be magical. However, this Jena wire is sure getting a lot of positive press. So I do want to try it.

Read about it...
http://www.jenalabs.com/pages/cryo1.html

You would buy something from someone who advertises cryogenic freezing for cds.
eek.gif

Nov 27, 2002 at 3:39 AM Post #8 of 20
Yes! Most of the people that work at Jena Labs are former NASA scientists. They might sound wacky, but I do respect them for their ideas. So I suggest that you read the reviews.

Hmm...I still can't decide. Maybe I'll go for 4/9s solid silver wire.

Nov 27, 2002 at 4:11 AM Post #9 of 20
I personally don't like to go over $2/foot stuff except for insane projects... *hides teflon insulated silver wire stash*

Doc Bottlehead's OFC long-crystal stuff (at exactly $2/foot
biggrin.gif
) is GREAT, IF you have a solder pot. (I do. they're only about $30 from halted.com and WELL WORTH IT!) Get some Cardas Quad Eutectic bar solder for $18, it'll last you forever. I mean it...

Nov 27, 2002 at 5:40 AM Post #10 of 20
I don't think it is necessary to spend a lot on hookup wire, but it is worthwhile to use something of high quality. Of course, if the wires are short the problems are minimized.

Sometimes it isn't the wire itself so much as the insulation that makes the audible difference. PVC, for example, has much higher dielectric absorption than teflon. The insulation stores a slight charge from the audio signal and releases it back into the wire as the signal voltage drops. It is good to minimize this.

In some circuit locations, different wire can make a significant difference. One place that comes to mind is the connection from the input pot's wiper to the first grid pin (or input pin if it's one of those eight-legged critters). If you minimize this distance, which you should do anyway, this will of course become less critical.

One of my favorite types of hookup wire comes from disassembling Belden 1585A CAT-5 cable. Removing the jacket reveals four twisted pairs of 24-gauge teflon-insulated solid-core copper wire. I untwist the pairs and straighten what's left of the twist kinks. Not expensive at all.

I also use Vampire continuous-cast copper 21-gauge solid-core copper from http://www.percyaudio.com. This stuff is coated with clear polyethylene, sort of like magnet wire. I slip teflon tubing over it if high voltages are involved. It costs maybe $6 per fifty feet, if I remember right, and is excellent quality.

For all-out projects like my Aurora amps (can be seen at http://www.aloha-audio.com/triode1.html), I used teflon-coated pure silver wire from http://www.silveraudio.com. But even that stuff doesn't cost all of $5 per foot.

Honestly, I don't mind spending a few dollars per foot for good hookup wire. I value my time enough that I don't want to waste it on junk. But good hookup wire doesn't have to be all that expensive.

Nov 28, 2002 at 6:39 AM Post #11 of 20
I use solid silver wire from Handmade Audio with teflon insulation. The price is 'only' like $1.20/ft, but you have to put the insulation on manually, which can be a pain over long runs (more than a few feet)

Nov 28, 2002 at 9:04 PM Post #14 of 20
If I'm misunderstanding, I apologize... but

Twisted pair only rejects noise if the two lines are run through a subtractor (or whatever you want to call it) on the other end. They are not inherently immunite to RFI because they are twisted... the "twist" is just to ensure any RFI affects both wires equally, so it can be rejected by the subtractor on the other end. Signals are fed in 180 degrees out of phase, if you like, and the difference between them is taken as the signal. Any interference will be in-phase, and cancel itself out in the subtractor.

Twisting the wires between amp & speaker isn't going to somehow magically reduce RFI.

If I'm wrong, I eagerly await a lecture.

Quote:

Originally posted by Gariver
The best thing to do with hookup wire is to use twisted pairs. The twist helps your wires reject RFI (noise). Results? Less noise equals better music. Nice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back