Songwriter sues Bon Jovi for $400 billion. Yes. Billion.
Oct 17, 2008 at 3:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

mrdeadfolx

Headphoneus Supremus
Copied from MSN/Sympatico's home page:

"Will Bon Jovi soon be $400 billion poorer? Does Bon Jovi even have $400 billion? Unlikely on both counts.

by Elizabeth Bromstein
I think this Boston songwriter is livin' on a prayer

A Boston songwriter by the name of Bart Steele is suing Turner Broadcasting System and Bon Jovi for $400 billion. No, you didn't read that wrong. And it's not a typo, which is what I thought when I first read it. And clearly this Bart Steele guy is NOT AT ALL CRAZY.

The story in the press is that Steele has filed a federal suit, claiming the lyrics and chorus of Bon Jovi's I Love This Town from the album Lost Highway are far too similar to his (Man I Really) Love This Team, written in 2004.

Steele, according to Music Radar, tried to sell (Man I Really) Love this Team to MLB (Major League Baseball) and the Red Sox, for commercial use and, I assume, failed. Then, in 2007, Bon Jovi released Lost Highway, featuring the song I Love This Town, which was subsequently used for an MLS promotional video. Coincidence? Steele thinks not.

He thinks, says The Guardian, that Jon Bon Jovi either received a copy of (Man I Really) Love This Team, or else heard Steele busking outside Fenway Park while the star was campaigning for John Kerry in 2004.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to compare the two tracks as Steele's version is not, at time of writing, available on his band's MySpace page (it appears to have been recently removed, since every article I've read links to it and tells me I can find it there). But the majority vote among those who have heard it seems to be that the similarities are far from staggering.

Steele forwarded a copy of the lawsuit to Antimusic. His justification for this figure is as follows. "Bart is requesting damages as authorized by the copyright law. As intent will be easy to prove, we are seeking the statutorily authorized amount of $100,000 per cd sold. Just under 4 million cds have been sold to date. This totals almost $400 billion." It further states that "Bart intends to give 99% of this recovery to musicians' rights organizations."

Which means that he will keep only $4 billion for himself. That's very magnanimous of him, don't you think? He could almost bail the U.S. out of its financial crisis with the other $396 billion."

Oct 17, 2008 at 3:45 AM Post #3 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrdeadfolx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It further states that "Bart intends to give 99% of this recovery to musicians' rights organizations."

I love how he apparently has already assumed he will get all 400 billion. lol.

Oct 17, 2008 at 4:08 AM Post #6 of 20
"Case dismissed, on the grounds of the plaintiff being patently stupid."

Oct 17, 2008 at 1:04 PM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If only, just once, that would actually happen.

Oct 17, 2008 at 1:11 PM Post #13 of 20
...please deposit $35,000 for the next three minutes please....

I say; pay him the entire amount he asks for. They can just add a few more commercials to the TV shows to cover the loss. No problem. We all love watching commercials! We even enjoy watching them at Theater!
popcorn.gif

Oct 17, 2008 at 1:25 PM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I would also like to have his lawyer dipped in honey and then strapped to an anthill. Preferably a fire-ant anthill.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samgotit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bon Jovi's songs are not worth the sweat between my inner thigh and my balls. Even if I were a fat guy with hyperhidrosis.

O.K., I have this problem with not being able to get mental images out of my mind, ya know? I may now have to kill myself. Or at least stay really drunk for a long, long time. O.K., maybe I actually should thank you.

As silly as this idiot's suit is, I do think Bruce Springsteen might actually have a case against JBJ. For stealing his act and then doing a really poor immitation of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back