Songs with tube sound?
Aug 25, 2023 at 9:21 AM Post #16 of 43
Okay, but it is just hard for me to imagine say Calvin Harris use tube gear while producing Rita Ora's "I Will Never Let You Down."
I don’t know what he used on that particular track but he has got some tube gear, an Avalon mic-pre, a tube compressor and probably a tube guitar amp. I’d be very surprised if that track didn’t use at least one bit of tube kit somewhere; by a musician, Harris or the mastering engineer

G

Aug 25, 2023 at 9:44 AM Post #17 of 43
I don’t know what he used on that particular track but he has got some tube gear, an Avalon mic-pre, a tube compressor and probably a tube guitar amp. I’d be very surprised if that track didn’t use at least one bit of tube kit somewhere; by a musician, Harris or the mastering engineer

G
How do you know what gear he has got? He's rather successful in music business giving him financial flexibility to get all kind of gear, but up and coming "bedroom producers" may resort to cheap tube emulator plugins after spending all their savings on decent studio monitors and some room acoustics treatment.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2023 at 3:15 AM Post #18 of 43
How do you know what gear he has got?
There are pictures of his studio online, so I can see what equipment he has and there are probably places online where they’ve already done that. He’s got quite a lot of older analogue gear but most of it is transistor rather than tube based.
but up and coming "bedroom producers" may resort to cheap tube emulator plugins after spending all their savings on decent studio monitors and some room acoustics treatment.
Very true but then the major artists aren’t going to use exclusively “bedroom producers”. They’re going to use exclusively commercial studios or at least commercial studios for some of the recording or production and if they do use a producer doing some of the work in their home studio, it’s going to be a successful producer with a highly spec’ed private studio, not a “bedroom producer” who’s “spent all of their savings” just getting a functional studio. In addition, their tracks will be mastered by a highly reputable mastering engineer.

If your music collection mainly comprises pop/rock tracks on say soundcloud from unheard-of bands and “bedroom producers” then very little of it will have any real tube gear but if your collection comprises major artists then all/nearly all of it will.

It’s true that plugins provide more functionality but to get exactly the sound of a piece of specific bit of tube gear there obviously has to be an emulation of that specific bit of kit and it has to be a very well modelled one. You can probably get something very close or even identical with more generic plugins but it will usually take a considerable amount of time to dial in the right parameters, not an ideal workflow for successful producers. And lastly, really well modelled plugins only started becoming available around 20 years ago, most successful producers/mastering engineers started in the business before then, were used to working with physical equipment and prefer tactile mixing over using a mouse. The vast majority of the highly successful producers and MEs these days use both options together. The next generation probably less so and that goes for guitarists too.

G

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2023 at 6:05 AM Post #19 of 43
There are pictures of his studio online, so I can see what equipment he has and there are probably places online where they’ve already done that. He’s got quite a lot of older analogue gear but most of it is transistor rather than tube based.
Oh. Yeah there are pictures online, but one has to know what tube gear looks like to identify it in the pictures.

Very true but then the major artists aren’t going to use exclusively “bedroom producers”.
Isn't PinkPantheress for example a "bedroom producer/artist?"

If your music collection mainly comprises pop/rock tracks on say soundcloud from unheard-of bands and “bedroom producers” then very little of it will have any real tube gear but if your collection comprises major artists then all/nearly all of it will.
My music collection mainly comprises of classical music. Very little of it is pop or rock music. My collection is a lot of classical music + Tangerine Dream and then "a little bit of everything": Jazz, New Age, Electronic Dance Music, Pop, Rock, Funk, movie soundtracks etc.

I find most pop and rock music uninteresting (tube gear used or not), but there are exceptions that have found their way to my collection. Many of my favorite artists are unknown or obscure to average Joe, but then again most people only know the "major artists." The efforts of using tube gear and mixing/mastering a track to perfection in a commercial studio by the best mixing/mastering engineer in the World is pointless if the music means nothing to me on emotional level, but if the music speaks to me, I don't care much if it is made in a "bedroom studio" without tube gear. Somehow the cheaper studio you have, the more you have to say musically it seems... ...it is as if the music made in commercial studios was just a calculated business. Who knew...

It’s true that plugins provide more functionality but to get exactly the sound of a piece of specific bit of tube gear there obviously has to be an emulation of that specific bit of kit and it has to be a very well modelled one. You can probably get something very close or even identical with more generic plugins but it will usually take a considerable amount of time to dial in the right parameters, not an ideal workflow for successful producers.
Then again you only need to find the correct parameters once and write them up, or better yet make a preset in the plugin.

And lastly, really well modelled plugins only started becoming available around 20 years ago, most successful producers/mastering engineers started in the business before then, were used to working with physical equipment and prefer tactile mixing over using a mouse. The vast majority of the highly successful producers and MEs these days use both options together. The next generation probably less so and that goes for guitarists too.

G
Well, this wasn't so much about physical gear versus plugins. This was about whether there're tubes inside the physical gear or not. I am not even claiming anything. I was just surprised to hear that almost all pop/rock music produced today involves tubes. I would have thought maybe 20 % does (and maybe more in rock than pop).

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2023 at 2:33 PM Post #20 of 43
Mic pres are always tube in my experience.

Aug 27, 2023 at 4:35 AM Post #21 of 43
Yeah there are pictures online, but one has to know what tube gear looks like to identify it in the pictures.
True but then I’ve worked at quite a few studios and used a lot of gear over the years. Most gear has it’s name printed on it of course, it’s just a case of knowing (or looking up) whether it’s digital or analogue and if it’s the latter then whether it’s op-amp or tube based. When I started in the business almost all studio gear was analogue, except for the recorders and certain effects (like reverb).
Isn't PinkPantheress for example a "bedroom producer/artist?"
In a sense. If you look up her album list, it’s mainly recorded and mixed by Jonny Breakwell at Battery Studios, a well known studio complex in north west London, famous for its analogue gear (including a lot of tube gear). How much she actually did herself in her bedroom is impossible to say, probably the samples and loops, maybe a fair bit more but this is the popular side of the music industry so what’s hype and what isn’t is probably known by very few and rarely made public.
My music collection mainly comprises of classical music. Very little of it is pop or rock music. My collection is a lot of classical music + Tangerine Dream and then "a little bit of everything": Jazz, New Age, Electronic Dance Music, Pop, Rock, Funk, movie soundtracks etc.
Even some classical recordings still use some tube gear. For example, the Decca Tree is still quite widely used and was designed for and works best with Neumann M50 mics (which are tube mics). I’d be surprised if Tangerine Dream didn’t commonly use some tube compressors. Jazz electric bass players often favour a tube guitar amp. Pop, rock and funk virtually always uses some tube gear. Movie soundtracks not so commonly but it’s still more common than you’d probably think. Air studios do a lot of film soundtracks and their standard procedure is recording the orchestra with a Decca Tree and M50s.
Then again you only need to find the correct parameters once and write them up, or better yet make a preset in the plugin.
There wasn’t a single setting even with the original hardware, let alone with a plugin. How you set the hardware depended on what you were recording and what you wanted to achieve, which gain stage or stages within a unit you wanted to overdrive to achieve a specific sound for example. So there is no “correct parameters” you can setup once and save as a preset. At best you can create presets as starting points but that takes time and in practice you often still end up spending considerable time tweaking them. This can often be somewhat of a creativity killer for experienced professionals. You generally don’t want to be spending ages focused on tweaking a single thing and loosing the “bigger picture” you’ve envisaged in your mind.
Mic pres are always tube in my experience.
Mic pres are relatively rarely tube based and most definitely NOT “always”. Avalon’s are probably the most common, although Millenia, Mercury, UA and API also had a tube mic pre model. Far more common are op amp based mic pres though, even amongst the vintage crowd! The Neve 1073 is probably the most famous vintage mic pre of all time and is still very widely used (as it’s been re-issued), Focusrite 110, SSL, API (SS versions) and other SS mic pres are far more common than tube mic pres.

I’ve no idea where you got that assertion from, unless you have a VERY limited experience of recording studios (which just happened to use tube mic pres).

G

Aug 27, 2023 at 4:45 AM Post #22 of 43
You generally don’t want to be spending ages focused on tweaking a single thing and loosing the “bigger picture” you’ve envisaged in your mind.
So how do you manage to do the work without tweaking "for ages?" If the original gear has got several settings too, how do you avoid tweaking when using them?

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2023 at 4:48 AM Post #23 of 43
The studios I work with use Avalons. They have an advantage for recording voice over... something to do with the noise gate.

Aug 27, 2023 at 5:05 AM Post #24 of 43
True but then I’ve worked at quite a few studios and used a lot of gear over the years.
It doesn't help me much if you have worked at quite a few studios. I haven't. The mics I have been working with are completely different kind of mics, Brüel & Kjær measurement microphones.

I have Roland JV-1010 synthesizer module which I have owned ~20 years, but I haven't used it much really. Somehow I just don't "like using it." It was a rather big financial investment, but the disappointment doesn't encourage getting more gear. Music gear is expensive and crappy. To my knowledge no tubes inside it.

Even some classical recordings still use some tube gear. For example, the Decca Tree is still quite widely used and was designed for and works best with Neumann M50 mics (which are tube mics). I’d be surprised if Tangerine Dream didn’t commonly use some tube compressors. Jazz electric bass players often favour a tube guitar amp. Pop, rock and funk virtually always uses some tube gear. Movie soundtracks not so commonly but it’s still more common than you’d probably think. Air studios do a lot of film soundtracks and their standard procedure is recording the orchestra with a Decca Tree and M50s.
Maybe a lot of TD had tubes in the past, but how about these days?

Aug 27, 2023 at 5:52 AM Post #25 of 43
The studios I work with use Avalons. They have an advantage for recording voice over... something to do with the noise gate.
Avalon mic pres don’t have a noise gate! I’ve never seen/heard of any mic pre with a noise gate. You sometimes/often find a noise gate on a Channel Strip (that includes a built-in mic pre) but not on a mic pre. And again, Avalons are relatively unusual, so you can’t have worked at many studios if they all had Avalons!
So how do you manage to do the work without tweaking "for ages?" If the original gear has got several settings too, how do you avoid tweaking when using them?
The original gear typically has fewer settings/parameters and they’re far more coarse. So it’s generally a lot quicker/easier with the original gear, this maybe partially psychological because it’s tactile. I could virtually always “dial in” an EQ in just a few seconds on an actual Neve desk for example but the same thing on an EQ plugin would almost always take longer and not uncommonly a great deal longer and virtually all the engineers I’ve spoken to over the years feel the same. I don’t use hardware EQs any more though. The other advantages of plugins outweighs this issue in my line of work.
Maybe a lot of TD had tubes in the past, but how about these days?
TD used a lot gear, quite a bit of it was custom gear and they were of course one of the pioneers of electronic popular music. To answer your question, I really don’t know but I’d be very surprised if they don’t still use a lot of analogue gear and moderately surprised if there wasn’t at least one bit of tube gear amongst it.

G

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2023 at 10:20 AM Post #26 of 43
The original gear typically has fewer settings/parameters and they’re far more coarse. So it’s generally a lot quicker/easier with the original gear, this maybe partially psychological because it’s tactile. I could virtually always “dial in” an EQ in just a few seconds on an actual Neve desk for example but the same thing on an EQ plugin would almost always take longer and not uncommonly a great deal longer and virtually all the engineers I’ve spoken to over the years feel the same. I don’t use hardware EQs any more though. The other advantages of plugins outweighs this issue in my line of work.
I try to write my Nyquist plugins in a way that limit the "tinkering" to a few options (e.g. "OFF", "WEAK", "MEDIUM" and "STRONG" or no options at all! It is like cooking with only the options to add 1, 3 or 10 grams of salt. No time wasted on finetuning if it's 2.6 or 2.7 grams, because the obvious option is 3 grams and that's it. It is likely to be close enough anyway (and a matter of taste). Too restrictive plugins are unusable. That's why it is about finding the fine balance. Often it is about writing a very flexible plugin first and then after using it a while I know what are the needed options and can re-write the plugin. For example the original plugin might have option to set a certain parameter to any integer between 1 and 20, but working with it I notice I only use values 2, 8, 9 and 10. That tells me I really should have only options for 2 and 9 (close enough to both 8 and 10). Plugins without options at all are very quick to work with.

TD used a lot gear, quite a bit of it was custom gear and they were of course one of the pioneers of electronic popular music. To answer your question, I really don’t know but I’d be very surprised if they don’t still use a lot of analogue gear and moderately surprised if there wasn’t at least one bit of tube gear amongst it.

G
Well I guess tubes are everywhere (except in my production chain which is 100 % tube-free).

Aug 27, 2023 at 10:35 AM Post #27 of 43
Too restrictive plugins are unusable. That's why it is about finding the fine balance.
Well that’s the thing. Sometimes I use 4 bands of EQ, very occasionally 5-8 bands, sometimes a shelf and a filter, sometimes the resonance of a filter or other functions of modern EQ plugins that simply weren’t available with an analogue EQ. If you have a lot of options you tend to try some/many of them to see if you can get a better result. That takes considerable extra time, focuses you on tiny details and away from the bigger picture.

G

Aug 29, 2023 at 3:44 AM Post #28 of 43
i think this also depends on what the studio/artist prefer, some prefer analog gear, and if they like the added harmonics of tube gear there will be also some out there using it
some have a pure minimal solidstate setup and are using DAWs for the most part, at the end it comes down to what you prefer, but i think big studios have pretty surely some tube preamps, just so artist can decide for themself what they prefer, no?

Aug 29, 2023 at 4:17 AM Post #29 of 43
some prefer analog gear, and if they like the added harmonics of tube gear there will be also some out there using it
That’s no longer the reason. If they “like the added harmonics of tube gear” there’s no reason not to use plugins, which can emulate those added harmonics and do so much more cheaply, reliably and consistently! The reason for using analogue tube gear is largely fashion/bragging rights or the potential ergonomic reasons discussed above.
some have a pure minimal solidstate setup and are using DAWs for the most part
With the big studios in the vast majority of cases it’s both. There is analogue gear and DAWs, IE. Even when tube or SS gear is being used for processing, or even the entire mixing chain, a DAW is still used as a recorder (and for editing). In practice a bit of both is most common, some mixing/processing done in analogue and some “in the box” with plugins.
i think big studios have pretty surely some tube preamps …
Not necessarily. They’ll surely have some old/vintage mic preamps but most commonly SS ones (by Neve and others), they’ll surely have some tube mics, probably a tube compressor or limiter and it’s very likely they (and/or a visiting guitarist or bass player) will have a tube guitar amp/effects but it’s not so likely they’ll have a tube preamp.

G

Sep 15, 2023 at 11:12 PM Post #30 of 43
i played a bit around with the saturator plugin and an analyzer (+ looking up some measurements of tube gear, which suggest H1 is usually between -40 and -60db)
and i was kinda surprised how much effect it has at -40db ... with -60db it still has a subtle effect and i actually like it more subtle but some pretty sure argue it gets into inaudible territory

-40db :
- thicker bass but low bass notes dont come trough as such imo (pure solidstate seems to sound deeper and "hard hitting")
- there is some kind of white noise effect (like the distortion is filling the gaps making it more "white noise-ish")
- with this white noise effect there is a kind of dynamic range reduction effect which both go together i think, like without saturator bass hits "harder" and also with high frequencys the dynamic seems more if tones go from 0 to 100, i guess because the distortion is kinda giving you a "new noisefloor" which gets referenced by the brain? its a strange effect but definitely audible (the effect is generally speaking smoother/more pleasant)
- harmonic distortion definitely gives the illusion as if voices come "out of the speaker" (aka "holographic soundstage"), this effect is somehow the most noticable effect imo beside the thicker bass

-60db :
here it gets tricky ... you get definitely all effects from above but way more subtle, if i would listen to this without A/Bing i would probably miss it
the most significant effect here is the holographic soundstage, voices/instruments seem to still pop up more out of the speakers

overall i definitely see why people might like/prefer it

... what i dont get tho... -60db seems kinda much in terms of "audibility" ... if i listen with 80db the -60db are at 20db, so usually under the "noisefloor" of your room but it still seems to have an effect which was kinda funny imo

i also read that some think the distortion actually has an influence on other sounds, for example, if we take 1khz main tone the distortion at 2khz might be inaudible but its either that amps or speakers act differently if they have to reporduce the main tone + distortion (specially speaker seem kinda plausible here i think)

---

since i tuned the saturator plugin to some "realistic" tube gear level i was also able to spot which songs use it (atleast saturation) i might post some the following days
so other might be able to test saturation without plugin/tube stuff
funny thing is if songs include this kind of distortion/saturation using the plugin in my own chain just seems to "double up" the effect for some songs (which actually makes me kind of confident to pick some songs out now) , of course they are not having the exact same distortion profile but its still noticeable

also im kinda happy to say that im really happy with the saturator + analyzer combo, you dont have to worry to get some unrealistic distortion level and still enjoy the effects of some tube gear (or atleast the distortion of them) and you can even finetune it to your liking which is a huge plus imo...i also havent noticed a quality degredation (well beside the added distortion)
and... i dont wanna test 20 different gears just to decide which distortion profile i like the most... so i will probably not end up buying tube gear now but rather use the plugin and actually just disable it if i feel like it which wouldnt be possible with most gear

Users who are viewing this thread

Back